Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I'm not sure an AC unit will get things cool enough for aging

A 12k a/c is more than enough for my 8x8 room. It'll keep it down to 35 with no problem. A 10k would probably have done it but Storeitcold recommended a 12k for my room size. If your insulation is good and air leakage kept to a minimum, it doesn't take as much a/c as you might think. Most a/c's are set to shut down at about 65F. The Coolbot controller replaces the a/c thermostat and keeps it running down to just above freezing or wherever you set it.

Someone mentioned using blue board. When I built mine 3 years ago, the pink board was considerably cheaper here than the blue. You can cover the interior with whatever you like depending on how fancy you want to make it look. I just foamed the seams, smoothed them off and painted it all white. Nobody but my wife and I ever see it so I'm not picky about the looks.

I built a door using 2x6" and 4" of foam board between 2 layers of plywood. It takes time to build it to exactly fit the door opening so take your time and measure carefully. I used foam strips to seal the tiny gaps I had left. It'll be heavy so make a solid door frame and use lots of hinges so it won't sag and drag.

About those cargo containers - They do work great if you properly set up and insulate them but the swinging doors can be a real pain to open and close. Many come to you nicely bent so it takes strong arms to work the latch levers. If yours is that way, you might find it easier to remove 1 or both of the container doors and build one to fit the hole that will open easier.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple tips on the insulated box:

Minimize the size and quantity of any framing that displaces insulation.

Minimize the number and size of any air gaps.

Minimize the number and size of any piercings, and use expanding foam to fill any gaps.

Maximize the thickness and quality of insulation.

Install a vapor barrier and infrared reflector beneath the outside skin.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Pard has a air conditioning unit and a coolbot, works damn good. Insulation is the silver coated 2" panels.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zHUM_voEFhA

Pretty good video on the subject

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Refrigerated Truck Body add an AC unit and Coolbot.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Probably the hardest air leaks to fill will be around the a/c unit. You can see a lot daylight through one. About all you can do is seal it around the outside of the cabinet. You don't want to be shooting foam inside the cabinet around the unit itself.

― George Orwell

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Minimize the size of the box's interior.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Cinch,
Txt’d me and said I could pick up a small like new cargo container fairly cheap. Set it on a slab or gravel with concrete pillars. Stud out the inside, spray foam insulate it, wire it up and done...That’s a possibly way to fly...Beretzs, you listening?
😎

Here is a container van insulation option that does away with the hassle of attaching studs.

https://www.insofast.com/insulation-panels-for-shipping-containers.html

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I can tell you some things that DIDN'T work out well for mine. I't's 12' x 12' wood frame cement slab construction, used a window type AC unit with a commercial temp switch wired in. All that seems to be adequate, if not maybe a little overkill. The big problem...putting a fresh, hot skinned carcass into the pre-cooled room, within 4 hours the cold side fins and coils turn into a solid block of ice from the evaporation off the carcass. Tried fans etc., never found a solution other than drying the carcass to get a hard "skin" before putting it in the cold room. A retired reefer guy told me I needed to duct fresh dry air from outside the room thru the cooler, and vent an exhaust out on the opposite side of the room. I lost interest and went back to hanging the carcass in the breezeway and butchering it in 3 or 4 days.

Last edited by flintlocke; 01/26/20.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tkinak
Cinch,
Txt’d me and said I could pick up a small like new cargo container fairly cheap. Set it on a slab or gravel with concrete pillars. Stud out the inside, spray foam insulate it, wire it up and done...That’s a possibly way to fly...Beretzs, you listening?
😎

Here is a container van insulation option that does away with the hassle of attaching studs.

https://www.insofast.com/insulation-panels-for-shipping-containers.html
Reefer vans work fine IF it doesn't cost you a fortune to get it moved to your location and set in place.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMP-insulated metal panels. MetlSpan is one manufacturer. https://www.metlspan.com/ This is what the vast majority of industrial coolers are made out of. 1”, 2”, 4”, 6” thicknesses. Foam interior with vinyl coated metal exteriors. Hose them down with no issues.

All you need is a buddy that owns an installation service and the “drops” from a few jobs and you’ll be in business.

I’m in process of installing one right now. 30’ wide, 140’ long, Dual pallet conveyors in and out. 17 degree glycol coils the full length. 36 7.5 hp fanmotors. Might be overkill for a few deer and elk though....we bought it used at auction for a couple hundred thousand. Will have a bit over a million in it when reinstalled and running and think we got a bargain.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
In the process of building a 6’x10’ x 8’6” high. Planning on using a cool bots and window AC.
2x6 walls
concrete floor
Spray foam insulation
Floor drain
8’ tall steel insulted door
Electric hoist on track outside
Ceiling rail and trolley hooks inside

I’d like to hear more about the proper way and timing to put game into the cooler to avoid the icing of the AC unit.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I had mine ice up just once but I didn't have any meat in it, just fruit we hadn't canned or dried yet. I figured it was moisture from the fruit but I don't know that for sure. The meat I've put in it has always been skinned a while before it gets there so it's crusted over.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Would a size bigger ac unit not work as hard and lessen the chance from ice up. Or is just plain moisture related

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
IMP-insulated metal panels. MetlSpan is one manufacturer. https://www.metlspan.com/ This is what the vast majority of industrial coolers are made out of. 1”, 2”, 4”, 6” thicknesses. Foam interior with vinyl coated metal exteriors. Hose them down with no issues.

All you need is a buddy that owns an installation service and the “drops” from a few jobs and you’ll be in business.

I’m in process of installing one right now. 30’ wide, 140’ long, Dual pallet conveyors in and out. 17 degree glycol coils the full length. 36 7.5 hp fanmotors. Might be overkill for a few deer and elk though....we bought it used at auction for a couple hundred thousand. Will have a bit over a million in it when reinstalled and running and think we got a bargain.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This sounds about the right size, scale, and price for my hunting needs. 😂
Lucky for you, you have both commercial and play cooling needs covered. Congrats! 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Mark,

Deb & I are planning on doing something like this on the new place !!

We are going to utilize one end, of one side of an existing shop structure. Slab & 3 uninsulated walls & 9' uninsulated ceiling already there.

Not sure that we need the A/C, as typically I'm trying to not let the carcasses freeze, during rifle season. Would be the dux nutz for archery season though !

Been a couple of threads here, on it before too.

I'll see if I can locate.

Caribbean next week !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Caribbean, Paul? Good plan!

Wifey just told me we’re going to Hawaii. She felt left behind with my travel hunts. Girl has a point. Off to an island for us.

I sure wouldn’t think you and Deb would need cooling during your winters as you said...But, for your archery months, makes sense.

I’m torn at the moment between going solid foundation or a mobile unit. If I sell the place, which will eventually happen. Is it worth my costs to have the unit trucked to a different State, or just build another unit at a new location?

Decision...Enjoy the Caribbean with Deb!

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Will do Mark, thank you.

When you guys planning on heading to the big island ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Caribbean, Paul? Good plan!

Wifey just told me we’re going to Hawaii. She felt left behind with my travel hunts. Girl has a point. Off to an island for us.

I sure wouldn’t think you and Deb would need cooling during your winters as you said...But, for your archery months, makes sense.

I’m torn at the moment between going solid foundation or a mobile unit. If I sell the place, which will eventually happen. Is it worth my costs to have the unit trucked to a different State, or just build another unit at a new location?

Decision...Enjoy the Caribbean with Deb!

😎

I considered a mobile when I build our cooler. I finally went with a built-in one. I figured that we won't be moving until I'm too old to hunt anyway. I'm 71 and have no plans on going anywhere until the old carcass gives out.

― George Orwell

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,812
Posts18,516,515
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.