Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I wonder what G&H would charge to afix that proper like?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Savage94C
Ref Longbeardking's post above about "Being tarred and feathered" about the content of my post-guess I'm dead meat then!!

Nice lookin deer and K with Stith mounts. I was going to mention Lightfoot's mount as an alternative to the G&H, but assumed that possibly with the K in the original OP's post, Lightfoots mounts were not available at the time-might have been, would have been a better alternative. I like Lightfoots mount, PM'd him last month reference getting one for my 99R. Still in plan's. I think Lightfoots mount is a very good looking rig, just as good and adaptable as the Stith. Who knows, 50 years from now they'll probably be a highly sought, top dollar item to 99 owners wanting to scope a rifle. I just like to keep and see the Ol 99 as pure and untouched as possible. I have two Remington 81's (300 Savage), love them for the same reason as the 99's-a classic from times past. See a lot of them with holes galore on Gun Broker on the side of the receiver. Saw one on a forum that is for the 8 and 81's where the owner mounted a 'RedDot' scope on it. Looked like the Corvette with oversize mudflaps. Anyway, drilling and adding things to the 99's make's them functional, will down game, but just doesn't look right.

In this post you hit the nail on the head in the first couple sentences. Why didn't they just put one of Mikes mounts on it? Because he wasn't born yet. Same with mine. It was made in 1928, and the little info I could find dated my Noske to 1928-29. So, it was put on when it was almost new. I don't know one single person on this form that would drill an 1899/99. But to call a person bubba for putting the most expensive state of the art equipment on the thing almost 100 years ago is unfair too. I agree with LBK that almost anything on top of an 1899/99 takes away from the smooth classic lines. It makes a very svelte rifle look big and clumsy. I do see a difference between someone today, drilling a vintage gun, and some one putting a scope on the gun 80 years ago, and not waiting for Mike to be born.

I still want to know if you want to cut the knuts off this bubba for drilling holes in the receiver and barrel of my 1899 H. If you can't see any difference in someone doing it 80 years ago, and doing it today, I guess you can't see the difference in doing it in 1912.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
99guy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think the bottom line is some of us can look at that K through 1935 eyes.

Rest are looking at it with 2020 eyes.

Perspective

If everybody agreed about everything what would we have to talk about?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
From looking in the books, as far as I can tell the G&H mount in the 20s/early 30s would have been +> $25 ( $25 would have been about $322 in today's USD ). I don't know what the a 99K would have cost new back then, but was probably around the same price or more. Normal hunters would not have had one for sure, and way back then the scope would have probably been more than the mount.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Screws are out of time.

LOL
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Screws are out of time.

Haha

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Screws are out of time.

I think it's past your bed time!

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
99guy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Screws are out of time.

They are pretty damn close.

I bet that butt plate hasn't been off very many times in the last 87 years. None of the screws on that gun including the G&H look like they have been turned in 80+ years.

There is buyer remorse and seller remorse.

This for me is a case of didn't buy remorse, which I have not experienced before.

Should have bought the F'n thing....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Close don't cut it in squeelers world my friend. Them screws are OUTA TIME, take it to the bank Jose! laugh laugh laugh laugh

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Some screw's for Fireball's.What craftsmanship look's like. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by sqweeler; 01/25/20.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Got an EG with the lower G&H mount but no top. Trying to find a reasonably priced top for it now. Don’t want to spend more for the top half of a scope mount than I did for the gun. grin

The 99G is what it is, it was changed before any of us were alive.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a 99K that has been drilled and tapped,wears weaver mounts and a leopold scope,was at one time drilled for a redfield 102 also, has sling studs added also.Is it a mess? maybe so BUT it was a custom built K, The buttstock has 1" longer pull,cheekpiece, hollow buttstock with trapdoor buttplate. The pistol grip area has a tighter then standrd wrap ,as well as the lever also. When i bought this rifle i overlooked the extra holes. and bought it for what i saw. A custom ,factory done model "K" rifle. It didn't break the bank either. Now if i could just figure out who "JJ" is which is stamped on the barrel. smile

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
THOSE ARE MY INITIALS!!! You found my gun. I'll be out to pick it up next week sometime. grin wink

As stated numerous times on various threads here, when the good souls bought Savage rifles back then, their first thought wasn't "this rifle will be worth a ton of money in 100 years if I don't alter it." They were hunting, as it was designed to do. What ever they thought would enhance their chances for a successful hunt, the did! Everybody appreciates an original in pristine condition, but a K with the G & H mount certainly has its place as well.

Last edited by oldotter; 01/26/20.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Different strokes for different folks.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 300_savage, 17Fan, 32 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,078
Posts18,501,585
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.