Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Because it was way, way back in the rear of a cave.

The better question is: Why was it wet enough for the tracks to be formed in the first place. Perhaps it was the urinal/lavatory?
Many caves have water in them, sometimes flowing, sometimes just dripping. In the Shoshone Ice Cave north of here, it drips in and freezes, year round.

RC, the point is, how could the cave be wet enough for tracks to form in the wet clay, but remain dry enough to preserve those tracks for 26 millenia?

Wolves which all dogs come from domesticated themselves. They were smarter than most of the cavemen on this forum.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by renegade50
Imagine the 1st guy that patted one that finally came in from outta the dark around a campfire 10,s of 1000,s yrs ago for a piece of meat out of his hand.

Imagine the wolf/dog overcoming its instinct to do that.

Or stuff along those lines.....

Instead of being competitors
Both started working together.
Strengths of each multiplied by working together.

Deal was sealed .....
2 species that evolved together.

I prefer to believe that, others are free to believe as they choose. But then, I am a dog person (meaning I like dogs and greatly enjoy their company over most humans, not that I am some half dog, half human mutant...)

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually I didn’t even see that link, maybe on account of it was pasted at the bottom.

Fascinating, a halfway sort of domestication, turning themselves loose upon maturity. Only thing I would take issue with is your assertion that the dingo’s nature didn’t permit. I would argue no-one was selecting for a prolonged juvenile personality.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by brinky72
Originally Posted by Tom264
What kind of wolf did a chihuahua come from?

It’s hard to consider some of those ankle bitters dogs. But, they’re just inbred for many generations to be small. I guess I’d be pissed too all of the time if that was done to me.

I doubt we will never truly know how dogs came about or how anything really happen as none of us were there. All I know for sure is that in my opinion no other animal can connect with a person quite like a dog. I’ve have witnessed through working with them in hostile environments how truly loyal they can be. A dog will give its own life to protect its owner/master/ handler whatever. I haven’t witnessed that behavior in any other animal. So, I’m inclined to believe that the relationship is deeply rooted in our history of evolution and that it was one of coexistence. Just my warm and fuzzy take.

I have seen it in a few good horses. The best Cavalry boys would die for their horse, with good cause. I have known several horses which would babysit little kids better than any dog ever could.

Seems like the worst of conditions brings out the best in us all. If someone or something had ever harmed one of my working dogs there would have been hell to pay. I always disliked it when our kennel master told us not to get attached to our dogs because they’re just a tool. What a bunch of crap. We depended on each other to get back in one piece. How do you not get attached.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 63 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,437
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.