Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, it was bound to happen eventually. I was sitting with my daughter this afternoon when she shot a 110lb spike broadside at 115 yds. It was a good shoulder hit that i watched through binos. The deer went down but continued to flail until we got out the stand and jogged down to put it out it’s misery. The 55 grain Barnes Vor-Yx bullet had essentially splattered on the shoulder bones and one of the fragments nicked the spine partially paralyzing the deer. It was not a pretty scene.

We have had such good luck with that bullet the last few years that I guess I was lulled to sleep. I know we still ended up with a dead deer, but it was not a big deer and the range was not extreme. I would go heavier but the CZ has 1:9 twist and does not shoot anything heavier very well. Guess we will have to stick to neck or boiler room shots from now on even on smallish deer.

Last edited by TnBigBore; 01/25/20.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Why stick with a .223???

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I find it awfully hard to believe a Barnes x bullet splattered on a shoulder bone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
60 gr Partition or 64 gr Solid Base. Either is tough as you could ever need.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not married to the 223, but daughter likes the rifle and has killed a few deer wit it. I have gotten poor accuracy with anything over 55 grains. It shoots the Barnes 55 and Hornady 55 grain in nice little cloverleafs at 100 yds thought.

Last edited by TnBigBore; 01/25/20.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Never thought the .223 was big enough. Others will disagree.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I find it awfully hard to believe a Barnes x bullet splattered on a shoulder bone.

Would never had believed it either if I had not just seen it. Splatter might not be the right term. More like it shattered into small shards. Maybe we just got a bad bullet. I have been reading some troubling things about Barnes quality control of late.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm a little confused...a 1/9 won't shoot anything heavier.... All but two of my .223s have been 1/9 and shoot 75 grain bullets almost exclusively...with sub .5 MOA accuracy...

A friend has killed pushing 40 deer with his .223 which is a 1/12 I believe... 95% have been with the Winchester 64 grain PowerPoint. A few others with the Sierra 63 gr. SMP and the discontinued Trophy Bonded.

Was wondering what bullets you have tried...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
I'm a little confused...a 1/9 won't shoot anything heavier.... All but two of my .223s have been 1/9 and shoot 75 grain bullets almost exclusively...with sub .5 MOA accuracy...

A friend has killed pushing 40 deer with his .223 which is a 1/12 I believe... 95% have been with the Winchester 64 grain PowerPoint. A few others with the Sierra 63 gr. SMP and the discontinued Trophy Bonded.

Bob

My mistake. It is the older CZ with the 1:12 twist.

I have not loaded heavy bullets just tried the Honady Black, Ferderal Fusion and Federal Premium from 62 to 77 grains and would not group any of them well. Strangely it does not Iike very light bullets either, but shoots all 55 grain I have tried very well.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Move her up to a 6.5 with a 100 grain TTSX - that is the TTSX specifically. The combination produces mild recoil, but consistently excellent terminal results.

The TSX produced inconsistent terminal results for me in .30-06 and I swore off Barnes after that. Thankfully, someone coaxed me into trying the TTSX, which has consistently produced excellent terminal performance for the last seven or eight years on deer and countless pigs.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by smithrjd

Don’t you know......Running down the mighty .223 will get you on real trouble around here. It’ll get you kicked out of the club.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Happen to have pics of the impact and/or skinned carcass??

I'm always interested in bullet performance and such.

I've learned the "shoulder" means different things to different people. Archery guys especially love to brag "such n such broadhead went right through the shoulder". Well.....kinda. That's a paper thin scapula you could get through with a butter knife.

I'm pretty surprised a Barnes didn't fair better. I don't have any experience with them or a 223 on deer...but I've read lots of good things.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

use either a 63 grain SMP Sierra or a 70 grain SMP Speer, and put it in the right spot, either one will drop a deer fast...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
@OP, First off... Good on ya for taking the daughter hunting. Congrats !

Originally Posted by 603Country
60 gr Partition or 64 gr Solid Base. Either is tough as you could ever need.

If you are set on the 12 twist CZ in .223, the bullets above are worth a try. If not, as others have mentioned, might be worth moving up a millimeter in bore diameter. I started my petite grand daughter off with 110gr NAB's in a .270 Win rifle with a short stock. She never noticed recoil when shooting KY WT's...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by smithrjd

Don’t you know......Running down the mighty .223 will get you on real trouble around here. It’ll get you kicked out of the club.

Since I'm not a member of the club to begin with, I'll say this........the 223 will indeed kill deer, and I have killed a few deer with it, but there are FAR BETTER choices, and I believe using a 223 is best left to those who are good enough to place that bullet with surgical precision. Most young or inexperienced hunters are simply not able to that. That's what a 243 is for, and I consider it to be the least cartridge one should use for deer........and for those who say there isn't enough difference between the two cartridges to matter, I say they have idea what they're talking about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

I have not loaded heavy bullets just tried the Honady Black, Ferderal Fusion and Federal Premium from 62 to 77 grains and would not group any of them well. Strangely it does not Iike very light bullets either, but shoots all 55 grain I have tried very well.

When you say it didn't group the Fusion well, how did it group them? I had a 12 Twist 223 that wouldn't group them either. 4" Groups at 100 yards with no oblongation of the holes on paper. That was bad grouping. I have seen some folks eschew a 2" gun for deer even when their longest shot would not likely exceed 100 yards.

Try the Partition and Bonded before you give up.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Probably the bone fragmented and it looked like the bullet splattered. Was the base of the bullet found, or did it exit?

Can't blame the cartridge or bullet if it brought the animal down and you recovered the deer. If lungs aren't hit well, it's going to take time for it to bleed out.

A cup and core could have lacked penetration enough that the deer might have got away or not been knocked down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was the bullet a 55 Gr. TSX or TTSX??

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Barnes does not offer the TTSX in Vor-Tx 223 factory ammo

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

Try the green box Remington 55 gr psp.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 53 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,398
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.