Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Do you know someone who just can't seem to be able to save up a thousand dollar emergency fund? Saving up a thousand dollar emergency fund is step one of the 7 Baby Steps to get out of debt and prosper.

30 Ways to save $1000

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Having a few Ks saved and handy sure lessens the emergencies in life.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Dave Ramsey's a good man and sure helps a lot of people! We got out of debt by utilizing a budget and paying bills very much like Dave Ramsey recommends, just did it before I'd heard of him. I still love to listen to his radio program today because it's very inspirational and helps remind me of where we came from.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoy listening to Dave

His concepts really new and cutting edge

Live on less than you make
Save some money
Don’t buy stuff you can’t afford

Crazy.....

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Last month, I turned around in his parking at DRS in Cool Springs right off I-65. He moved about 2 yrs ago from Brentwood just a couple miles up the road

Good grief I bet he has 1000 people working for him. Parking lot looked like one of the airport out-lots

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It’s good to have a few thousand saved. Good guns come along sometimes

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SeanD
I enjoy listening to Dave

His concepts really new and cutting edge

Live on less than you make
Save some money
Don’t buy stuff you can’t afford

Crazy.....

I agree, but it's not "new and cutting edge". Bruce Williams was talking the same general plan on the radio 30 years ago.
I listened to him driving big rigs in the middle of the night. He helped me invest in the future just like Dave Ramsey.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hey Tiger..........

(Bruce Williams)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought of Bruce the other day,
deli had Pork Roll on sale.

(Nasty stuff) I liked Bruce.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I already do almost all the things on that list and I've never read Ramsey's book. Most of it's just common sense and stuff that's practiced naturally by poor country folks who were raised to be frugal and practical. Those things are the reason I've never in my life financed a car, had a credit card or financed anything other than my home, despite the fact that I've never made much money. Everything is cash and if I don't have the cash I don't buy it period. I don't believe 1000.00 is enough of an emergency fund these days. I always try to keep at least 3k in mine and that's in addition to my regular savings account.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I work in a factory. Bet 50% have filed bankruptcy and not been without a paycheck.
Most take off work anytime a bonus comes along, so they make the same as if working reg.
They bank nothing.
Drive new cars, eat steak for dinner...........and they cry when the manager won't let them work Sundays (double time).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I already do almost all the things on that list and I've never read Ramsey's book. Most of it's just common sense and stuff that's practiced naturally by poor country folks who were raised to be frugal and practical. Those things are the reason I've never in my life financed a car, had a credit card or financed anything other than my home, despite the fact that I've never made much money. Everything is cash and if I don't have the cash I don't buy it period. I don't believe 1000.00 is enough of an emergency fund these days. I always try to keep at least 3k in mine and that's in addition to my regular savings account.

$1000 is the starter emergency fund. He recommends 3-6 months expenses for fully funded emergency fund in step 3. Step 2 is paying off al debt except the house and that’s where most people struggle

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can't remember if Ramsey said it or someone else, but it's 'if you have to finance a car for more than 3 years, you can't afford it'. These days 5 year loans are very common. People don't add up how much interest they pay during that time. Even at 3 or 4%, it's a lot.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I can't remember if Ramsey said it or someone else, but it's 'if you have to finance a car for more than 3 years, you can't afford it'. These days 5 year loans are very common. People don't add up how much interest they pay during that time. Even at 3 or 4%, it's a lot.

Lol, no, Ramsey didn’t say that.

I like listening to Bruce Williams, he was a good egg. Bob Brinker introduced me to the idea of achieving “critical mass”, or not having to work anymore. Dang it if I didn’t get there, and dang if am not still working just as hard...... having too much fun to quit.

The moral of the story is that it’s good to have goals and a plan to get there.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I gotta wonder...........................how many tats do I have to forgo to save up that $1000?

Geno

PS, I try to finance cars at 0% like the "new" one we have now. Why not use Toyota Financial's money to get my wife a newer vehicle instead of eating into our cash?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[quote=Valsdad]I gotta wonder...........................how many tats do I have to forgo to save up that $1000?

Geno

Only 2 or 3 if you have a good artist! 😉

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sometimes, a 12 month same as cash can make sense on an unexpected emergency expense. Did it on tires once. Paid it off early.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Jeezus.....I am so sick of hearing about this fuggin guy.

Piss on him......I might just go broke to spite him.

Dave fuggin Ramsey. I bet the caksucker has a book he will sell you.......

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Jeezus.....I am so sick of hearing about this fuggin guy.

Piss on him......I might just go broke to spite him.

Dave fuggin Ramsey. I bet the caksucker has a book he will sell you.......

I'm not sure his books are pertinent to MT farmer/rancher economics.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well....just as long as no one accuses me of overreacting..........

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (1minute, 160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 219DW, 219 Wasp, 71 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,854
Posts18,497,037
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.