Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You tell 'em Pete...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by pointer
Be prepared for a lot of talk regarding the definition of caliber and cartridge...

Only illiterates are opposed to literacy.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
Originally Posted by cwh2
I haven't been this excited sense my prom night.

Prepare to be disappointed.

Again.

Lol

X2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by montanabadger
Originally Posted by pointer
Be prepared for a lot of talk regarding the definition of caliber and cartridge...

Caliber is not important as long as you hit them in the front shoulder.

The front shoulder roast is one of favorite cuts from the knuckle to the knee. As fine a eating as it gets needless to say but I try to put my bullets thru the ribs behind the shoulders, or behind the ribs angling forward or in front of the shoulder angling back missing the far shoulder. Lot of lethal spots to run your bullet without f**king your eating. You new at this? MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LRAB's have worked for me so far quite well in a couple of calibers. Red Stag and a Mule deer buck.
I'm sure it will work good with this.
Nosler has done a better job with their BC's compared to the past.
Will I get one? No
Other than a bullet that performs well, it doesn't matter if the bore size is a tad smaller or a tad larger.
If the weapon is built good enough to keep it in the vitals at your max distance from field positions, it's the shooter that makes the difference.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Looks like the 27 Nosler is for real. Any thoughts?
Darn! I was hoping for a .29 bore! laugh

I was hoping nobody would notice and we could all just let the .277s progress into the 21st Century. Why would anybody get pissed over a 90 year old chambering over .007" of diameter? That's worse than childish, that's retarded.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by ihookem
Just neck a 308 Win down to .277 and you call it a 27-08 and you have a good round. Also, a 25-08 would be cool and easy to reload if we ever get in 89a reloading pinch like we did 10 yrs ago. I was very low on brass back then but I could still go to the shooting range and find once fired .308 cases. The last thing we need is another caliber unless it can be reloaded from polar cases like the 30-06 , 308 ETC.

Isn't the 25-08 the 25 Souper?

Yes. I built one 30+ years ago. Just not sure it has much over the 243. Maybe better barrel life........
il

Maybe better bullet selection. With the Souper you're up there with the .257 Bob. Think 115-120 grain bullets and high BC. Just puy on a barrel with a 1:9 twist rate to make sure of stabilization.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Filaman
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Just neck a 308 Win down to .277 and you call it a 27-08 and you have a good round. Also, a 25-08 would be cool and easy to reload if we ever get in 89a reloading pinch like we did 10 yrs ago. I was very low on brass back then but I could still go to the shooting range and find once fired .308 cases. The last thing we need is another caliber unless it can be reloaded from polar cases like the 30-06 , 308 ETC.

Yes. I built one 30+ years ago. Just not sure it has much over the 243. Maybe better barrel life........
il

Maybe better bullet selection. With the Souper you're up there with the .257 Bob. Think 115-120 grain bullets and high BC. Just puy on a barrel with a 1:9 twist rate to make sure of stabilization.

FlamingIDIOT,

Do "tell",as per your version(s) of "knowledge","experience" and "results",what the BIG "transition" from 1-10" to 9" in .257",will "get" you with 115-120's and be SURE to cite the boolit(s) you are Pretending about...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. LAUGHING!

Quarterbores have DISMAL selection,as compared to 6mm's,if only for starters. Hell...the 25 cain't even keep pace with 224's.Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

NOTHING is fhuqking funnier,than a Texan TRYING to "talk" rifles! Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for your inside look at Retardation,through your crossed-eyes.

Hint.

LAUGHHING!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Another new cartridge from Nosler??🥱😴

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bobber257
Another new cartridge from Nosler??🥱😴

You have to keep reinventing the wheel to make money!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess I'm old and just don't give a darn.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I didn't know there was a 25 souped. Or if we want to get crazy , a 24-06?

It's already done too, They call it the .Weatherby.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Just neck a 308 Win down to .277 and you call it a 27-08 and you have a good round. Also, a 25-08 would be cool and easy to reload if we ever get in a reloading pinch like we did 10 yrs ago. I was very low on brass back then but I could still go to the shooting range and find once fired .308 cases. The last thing we need is another caliber unless it can be reloaded from polar cases like the 30-06 , 308 ETC.

About anything you can imagine has already been tried as a wilcat. If the resulting cartridge didn't or doesn't survive doesn't mean it was or is really useless, it usually failed because there's something else that's so close to it that there's no real reason for it. I really believe that the .270 Winchester only survived in a sea of 7mms is because American's were in a period of anti European or anti German anything and MM was conceived as German or at least European..

Last edited by Filaman; 03/03/20.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pete53
maybe these gun manufactures can quit bringing out new cartridges that won`t make it,instead take the wasted money and build a nice looking hunting rifle at a cheaper price ? 27 caliber ? its a loser too late.>> if i finally win a nice rifle in a gun raffle i sure hope its a normal cartridge not one of these new cartridges that won`t make it ?

Says the guy with a 25 Creedmoor. crazy

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
maybe these gun manufactures can quit bringing out new cartridges that won`t make it,instead take the wasted money and build a nice looking hunting rifle at a cheaper price ? 27 caliber ? its a loser too late.>> if i finally win a nice rifle in a gun raffle i sure hope its a normal cartridge not one of these new cartridges that won`t make it ?
.................LOL>>>LOL>>>LOL............Well lets see here. Many did say back in 2005 and 2006 that the 375 Ruger was not going to make it, "Why we don't need another 375...........OOOOOPS!!!

After the 6.5 PRC came out the same old bitching. "We gotta nuff 6.5s. That one not gonna make it.........OOOOOPS!

300 PRC? "Why we gotta nuff of dem 300 magnums." This one not gonna make it..........However, so far???.....................OOOOOOPS!

270 and 300 WSMs. Same bitching..............................OOOOOOPS!

Ya gotta let the market play out a little Pete and wait and see what the rifle makers do regarding the 27 Nosler. I wouldn't exactly write off the 27 Nosler......YET!.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugger
I guess I'm old and just don't give a darn.

I'm in that boat too.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by CRS

Says the guy with a 25 Creedmoor. crazy

CRS >your statement in one way is right but foolish in another way , 25 Creedmoor is a wild cat cartridge not manufactured to the public .
the Nosler 270 is going to be manufactured for the public use ,that`s the difference , will the 270 Nosler make it ? you know my thought.
i build wild cats for fun,built 7mm-08`s 10 years before that cartridge was ever manufactured to the public,also 5 years before some 6.5-284`s was released to the public to buy it in a rifle. i also have had a couple of 6mm- 284 that never made it , but that is a fantastic cartridge . .257 caliber bullet builders are starting to make some decent bench rest bullets, .277 its anyone`s guess for bench rest bullets ? not all of my wild cats make it but i sure have fun playing with them > that`s the real difference wild cat cartidges vs public cartridges.and actually 25 Creedmoor is just a 250 Savage cartridge basically so its kinda not a new cartridge >now you know the rest of the story . Grin

Last edited by pete53; 03/05/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What we really need is the 240 Weatherby necked up to.277. Then we could have 30-06 case capacity with the double radius neck and an awesome belt.

I suspect even Stick could get behind that. smile

Last edited by doubletap; 03/05/20.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
pete,
Just making a fun observation. grin

I like the 270 Nosler, and may get one just because. In reality, it does not make a lot a sense for me. But it certainly makes more sense for me than a 25 Creed, or any wildcat for that matter.
YMMV laugh

Last edited by CRS; 03/05/20.

Arcus Venator
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
10 years from now the 27 Nosler wii be a question ? make sure you buy plenty brass , this 270 cartridge just might be like Remington`s short magnums ? another thing wild cats sometimes are what get made into normal cartridges > all Creedmoors are based on a 250 Savage,458 win.mag produced 300 Win.mag,264 Win.mag,7mm Rem. mag, 308 Win made 243,260,358 7mm-08. and i am sure there are plenty more cartridges that once were wildcats. with respect,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 29aholic, 31 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,755
Posts18,476,345
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.