Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I grew up, went to school, and lived in Lenawee County. They must have some real turds running it now.

So they want to demolish Amish homes with no indoor plumbing, but San Francis allows schitting on the sidewalks.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by JamesJr
It goes beyond private property rights. Far beyond them. This is not 1820, when the only mode of transportation was by horse, and the roads were dirt, and the horse chit could be tromped into that. Horse chit on a paved road stays there until a rain washes it off. I and others paid for that road through the taxes we pay...................that Amish or Mennonite in that horse and buggy does not pay anywhere close to the taxes that I pay.

Do you, or any other modern farmers there, move a tractor from one field to another on the paved roads?

Do y'all wash the muddy tires off before you bring it out of the field and onto the paved road others have paid taxes for? Some folks might not like the stuff that's in that mud on their roadways, getting onto their cars/trucks, into their yards/driveways where their children and dogs play. Them chemical spray rigs "never" leak either, right? You know that mud stays on the paved road until it rains too. Then it runs off into the commonly owned waterways.

Go ahead, worry about some road apples if you must, you paid for that road.

Geno

Good post Geno.

There's been a few things written over the span of man's time here on earth. One of them has something to do with glass houses.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
It goes beyond private property rights. Far beyond them. This is not 1820, when the only mode of transportation was by horse, and the roads were dirt, and the horse chit could be tromped into that. Horse chit on a paved road stays there until a rain washes it off. I and others paid for that road through the taxes we pay...................that Amish or Mennonite in that horse and buggy does not pay anywhere close to the taxes that I pay.

Do you, or any other modern farmers there, move a tractor from one field to another on the paved roads?

Do y'all wash the muddy tires off before you bring it out of the field and onto the paved road others have paid taxes for? Some folks might not like the stuff that's in that mud on their roadways, getting onto their cars/trucks, into their yards/driveways where their children and dogs play. Them chemical spray rigs "never" leak either, right? You know that mud stays on the paved road until it rains too. Then it runs off into the commonly owned waterways.

Geno

Good post Geno.

There's been a few things written over the span of man's time here on earth. One of them has something to do with glass houses.

And many of the people commenting here have, in all likelihood, never seen a real live Amish person, let alone lived amongst them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Fuggers around here get carte blanch, don’t have to buy license plates, business licenses, workman’s comp insurance. Run the roads buck wild in pimped-out tinted window cab tractors running highway speeds.

When they’re not running highway speeds to Golden Corral, they doing 05mph during rush hour hauling 20 tons of saw dust for their multi million dollar tobacco operations.

Some of them Amish chicks is pretty hawt.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'll think after much trouble, the Amish will prevail.

Unless their lawyers cost too much...

The amish have plenty of cash...

When they come to the hospital they pay the total bill on their way out the door.

Hey, if we're going to allow the amish to practice their religion I guess the muslims should be allowed the same freedom, right?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Geno

If caught, and some have been, a farmer that allows chemicals to leak out on a road, or has an oil or diesel spill on a road, can be fined.

We had an Amish farmer here who was caught pumping hog manure from his hog houses, into a river that was used a water source for a city downstream. He was fined, and the Amish lovers had a fit, thinking he was being picked on.

What you're trying to do is to compare life where you live to what it's like in other places, and that ain't gonna work.

Actually, I'm trying to state that some horse crap on the road, or a slow buggy in front of me, isn't such a big deal. Whether or not I pay more road tax than the buggy owners or not.

Are places aren't so dissimilar. We have slow cows, farm tractors and haying equipment, Spray rigs, Granny Farm Lady that drives to town once a month and pulls out in front of you even though there's three miles of empty road behind you, and you folks are lucky in that it rains every so often even in summer. Cow crap on our roads might be there for months before the next storm comes in September. 60-90 days without rain here is not a drought.

I'm not sorry you have to drive though a horse apple or two. It's really not a big deal.

And the Amish are not the only folks that try to get away with dumping crap where it ain't supposed to be. And the rancher lovers, or the industry lovers have a fit thinking their local job providers are being picked on. Happens everywhere James.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Fuggers around here get carte blanch, don’t have to buy license plates, business licenses, workman’s comp insurance. Run the roads buck wild in pimped-out tinted window cab tractors running highway speeds.

When they’re not running highway speeds to Golden Corral, they doing 05mph during rush hour hauling 20 tons of saw dust for their multi million dollar tobacco operations.

Nothin' a good skinny dip at the swimmin' hole can't fix. Don't even have to worry what them gals look like without their "warpaint" on, like Englishers.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What you're trying to do is to compare life where you live to what it's like in other places, and that ain't gonna work.

Kinda like what you're doing....

So you have a little horse manure on the side of the road....big deal. I have a 75 acre mowing lot across the street from me that they spread the slurry out 3-4 times a year. Sure it smells, but such is life. And yes, there is manure and mud on the road as well. If you don't like it, move to a city.

Lack of slow moving triangles, that would be your state then because in PA, they need them on. Wearing a seat belt and doing 70mph is a bit different than not wearing them in a horse drawn carriage.

Lack of indoor plumbing, I know families that didn't have indoor plumbing into the mid 1960's. State should have zero say on the matter.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I live in western Pa. and I'm surrounded by old order amish. There are a lot of them that I don't care for. All but two of my neighbors are amish. Two of them are very good friends. I give the one's boys fishing lures. They have some ways that are different, no arguement there. However, I don't have to worry about anything getting stolen. There are amish thieves, no doubt. That goes with any group of people. They help out all of their neighbors too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

They must be hawt cause they sure smell like they sweat a lot!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Amish are not hazardous to your health.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is a tiny school going up to Junior High in the County north of here. It's part of a bigger district. The Amish/Mennonites control that school. We used to play them in basketball. It was a great day when my kids got into high school and didn't have to play them anymore. Dirty players, refs that constantly cheated, a substandard gym always filled to the brim with their crowd that was outright hostile to visiting spectators. I always felt like I was gonna get my throat cut in that town out in the middle of nowhere.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by sackett

Lack of indoor plumbing, I know families that didn't have indoor plumbing into the mid 1960's. State should have zero say on the matter.

I can remember when my grandparents' house first got a flush toilet. As long as their septic systems (or privies) aren't contaminating their neighbor's water wells. Or in an urban setting, where outhouses don't make sense.

Neither of which is the case here, so I agree the govt should butt the *&$# out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There's 100,000's summer homes, hunting camps in Michigan than still use outhouses and let dish and bathing water go in a ditch to where ever.....I have a home in a township that at least 20% of the houses don't even have a legal septic field.....

Lenawee County land price have sky rocked in the past 10 years....it's also big buck territory.....the county would rather have 10 millennial buy 5-10 acres on splits of a Amish farm build a $750,000 house and pay big taxes.....

There worried about maybe 100 Amish "turds".....there was 1,000,000,000 gallons of "turds" dumped in Lk.St.Clair from a storm on January 19.....and up to 1,000,000,000,000 gallons a year....but its ok for the government to do it....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Google , Gingrich murder

I cant copy and paste it on my phone.

Last edited by jimy; 01/27/20.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Would the MI government bother them if they were Muslims?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
There is a tiny school going up to Junior High in the County north of here. It's part of a bigger district. The Amish/Mennonites control that school. We used to play them in basketball. It was a great day when my kids got into high school and didn't have to play them anymore. Dirty players, refs that constantly cheated, a substandard gym always filled to the brim with their crowd that was outright hostile to visiting spectators. I always felt like I was gonna get my throat cut in that town out in the middle of nowhere.

There's a little Fargo in many small towns.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'll think after much trouble, the Amish will prevail.

Unless their lawyers cost too much...

The amish have plenty of cash...

When they come to the hospital they pay the total bill on their way out the door.

Hey, if we're going to allow the amish to practice their religion I guess the muslims should be allowed the same freedom, right?

Yes,

Zoroastrians, Sikhs, and the Yanomamo too.

Heck, even the Scientologists get to stay here and "worship" as they see fit.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
I thought Moslems basically gang up in a neighborhood and run it without interference from anyone.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish those of you who do not live around the Amish and Mennonites had to. You simply have no idea. While I respect, and admire them, in many ways, the fact is that they want to be able to move into a neighborhood and live as they choose, and make those of us who have been living there all along compromise our way of living in order to accommodate theirs.

If you have ever had to drive on a highway covered in horse chit on a hot summer day, and have it all over your car, you just might change your mind about them.

I'm not sure about the Amish, but I did grow up in the midst of the Mennonites in Southern Ontario. Our family farm dealt with many of them many times over the years and I never once heard my father talk them down in any way, nor have I ever heard anyone complain about what their horses do on the side of the road.

I'd rather have them for neighbours than a lot of other so called "normal" folk.

Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 5 invisible), 1,465 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,415
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.