Hop To
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I wish those of you who do not live around the Amish and Mennonites had to. You simply have no idea. While I respect, and admire them, in many ways, the fact is that they want to be able to move into a neighborhood and live as they choose, and make those of us who have been living there all along compromise our way of living in order to accommodate theirs.

If you have ever had to drive on a highway covered in horse chit on a hot summer day, and have it all over your car, you just might change your mind about them.

James,

are you a proponent of private property rights? Or more .Gov oversight?

I live in an open range county, cow crap on the highway is not uncommon, either from ranchers moving their cattle or from that which spills from the trucks going by all year moving cows on and off the grazing lands. A bit of poo on the car doesn't bother much.

We have Mennonites here, just a different flavor than yours back there. Ours use cars and pickups.

Geno

Nephew married a Mennonite girl we refer to them as Amish Light..

Ted

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Ask any older guys who were drafted into military service exactly how many Amish were also subjected to the same service. You all already know the answer. None. They don't deserve any religious freedom. Let alone using it for an excuse for everything. They're vermin.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
The government needs to leave them alone and stay out of it, but I could care less if I ever saw another one.
We've had an amish community a couple of counties away from us for several generations but they've worked all over the southern part of the state. Some do great work, others not so great. They have been there long enough that they have outgrown their communities and a lot of the locals won't sell the kids any land, especially farm ground, so they are moving out.
We are starting to get them in our county and this bunch is coming out of New York. They're selling farms for big money there and moving to areas where land is not nearly as expensive like here. My part of the state is not typical amish country. Way too many hills and rough ground, not the flat or gentle rolling ground like they typically inhabit.
I have been around them working on job sites and had other dealings with them. They love to act ignorant. That's one of their favorite tactics. They are hard on livestock and hard on women and there is no end to their creativity when it comes to screwing someone out of a dollar. You better be real careful if one is nice to you. They aren't who you think they are. The other day, my friend sent me a picture of an amish horse and buggy tied to a sign at the hospital. The sign said, "Veteran's Parking."
Oh yeah, that's one thing you won't find in an amish community......... a VFW.
Good post.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have a lot of hills on our highways. Ain’t like other places where you can see them for 5 miles.

Running along about 60 and top a hill and OHHH FUGGGG, there’s a one horse clippity clop buggy.

They get hit often. Very sad. Even with a big orange triangle placard, don’t help much on a blind hill. Roads around here are like roller coasters.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Mennonites are different than Amish in a lot of ways although in this part of the state the two are usually found living in close proximity to each other. They do tend to keep to themselves but the Mennonites I've talked to didn't care much for Amish and weren't bashful about it either.
The funny thing is, most of the drivers for Amish work crews are Mennonites who are usually former Amish who have crossed over to the "dark side" and are despised by the Amish for it, but, still used by the Amish for transportation. Go figure!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Why don't Mennonites have sex standing up?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
May lead to dancing....
Ba da Bing ba da bang

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What's the difference between a Mennonite and a canoe?

Canoe's tip!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Paint your canoe black, it will never tip

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Rene, The ones I know, if they are paying less taxes, they are more than making up for it with unused social services, law enforcement, jails, and courts.

The Mennonites around here, the Friends in a neighboring town, and our little group of Brethren could teach the rest of the nation some valuable lessons about raising youth to be productive citizens instead of leaches on society.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You never saw a retarded or badly deformed Amish kid have you? Know why?? They feed them to the pigs shortly after birth!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No problems with deer overpopulation in Amish counties.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by renegade50
Do away with all religous based tax and fee exemptions across the board.
Aint fugging right some of the schit religous groups dont have to pay or get taxed on or report income from.
Latadadi every fugging body.....
Every fugging one of em.
Christains, muslims, jews, rastafuggingfarians.

Boo fugging hoo....

See how religous the fuggwads are after a year or so of having to pay their fugging share of schit and answering up to unca suga every april 15 like the rest of us have too.

All convienant for em when it comes to the Benjamins.

Division of religon and state.
GMAFB....

all these fugging loopholes to get out of paying for schit is ridiculous and fugging came about 100,s of years ago passed by fuggs that been dead for ages.

Since when in anyones mind does freedom of religon translate into carte blanche get out of schit when it comes to money.

I'm catholic, I dont wanna pay taxes or fees anymore per my religous beliefs.
Amish can claim religon as a pretext for exemption, why cant I????

Someone please explain that to me....

Unreported income
Tax exemptions
Fee exemptions
Exemptions from laws
Ect ect ect

They live in this nation
Pay up like the fugging rest of us.

Fugg em...
Let em eat fisheads.....

My feelings exactly, though I could never express them as eloquently. I once rode on an elevator for many floors w/ 2 Amish couples, the stench made a Vietnamese fish market smell like a rose garden.

My all time favorite name for a rock climbing route is Slam Dancing w/ the Amish, that's in the Red Rocks near Las Vegas.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have a bakery here. Schlabach’s

I’m going to get renegade some yeast rolls from there, lol

😐

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve never seen one in person. Sounds like they aren’t too popular with the people that live close to them.

They do an outstanding job in carpentry. Friend of mine built a house years ago. He had the amish do his cabinets, the charged him about $20k. The cabinets were appraised at more than twice what he paid.

Funny how they use modern stuff like cars, trucks and cell phones when it suits their needs.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The first time I saw them going down a highway with horse and buggy I damn near ran over them. Not expecting that at all !!!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They’re just fine with electricity if it’s for their business.

It’s ok for homes too, but it’s got to come from a generator., solar, wind/batts

Slight stipulation on the generator, it’s got to be propane.

Gas is the debble
Electricity from the poles is the debble

Vehicles are the debble *unless* you pay someone ‘English’ to drive it.

Cell phones are cool if it’s for the business.

I’ve dealt with all this, they’ve worked for me. Spent a week out here installing a hydronic furnace for me.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
What ever their color, religion, or sexual orientation, they should have to abide by the rules, laws of the area they live in. And that might be the fault of the leaders of the area.

You live next to me & I have to spend 5 grand on a septic system, your turn, DUH! Practice your [bleep] religion in your home, your church , or on your dime, just get over the fact that you're excluded some how!!!!!!!

Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 2ndwind, 44automag, 673, 16 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,486
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.