Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L

They wouldn’t do one for me the last time I called. That is the pattern I use on all of my Tikkas though. [/quote]
Originally Posted by beretzs
[quote=lone wolf]Has anyone here used one of the McMillan Sako classic stocks, on there Winchester?

I thought there were some deal where they made you pay extra for the Sako classic, If you wanted it in the Winchester model 70.

Last edited by lone wolf; 01/27/20.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by lone wolf
Has anyone here used one of the McMillan Sako classic stocks, on there Winchester?

They wouldn’t do one for me the last time I called. That is the pattern I use on all of my Tikkas though.

Yes. And sometimes they will ...
I think it really depends on who you talk to at Mcmillan. I was told 6 months ago they wouldn’t do a 700 ks anymore in anything less than a batch of 10; then someone on here ordered one through Rick and low and behold, I was able to do so as well (there was a $100 upcharge.) Feeling encouraged, I tried for a pre 64 in sako classic (I have one, so I know they at one time would do it) - nope. However, they allowed they would do a post 64, with a ~$60 upcharge. So I have one or two coming through Rick ... this was end of December.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The winchester hunter stock is a sako style stock. Monte, cheek piece, palm swell.

Have one on a 300 wm. Nice stocks. Better with scope than hunters edge for me and I have both. Always wanted to try an Echols.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The supergrade is way too much stock for a Fwt. It works best on semi-heavy rifles (375H&H).

If you want more meat in the forearm than the Fwt, I’m afraid the Compact/Hunters Edge might leave you wanting. From what I recall it’s a good bit shorter than the Fwt forearm, and a more open grip.

I would choose either the classic or the P-64 Monte Carlo. If you don’t mind a lower comb, the classic is a really nice stock. The P-64 has a higher comb, tighter grip and a meatier forearm without going overboard. It’s the same stock that came on P-64 Fwts, so shouldn’t look alien.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use the Hunters EDGE on my Featherweights. Ordered a Bridges for a WSM but the Hunters EDGE is a great stock on light, slender rifles.

Wouldn’t put a Legend on a smaller 22” barreled rifle, they seem to fit better for me on the 7 Mag, 300, 338 and 37 mags with longer barrels where the recoil reduction pays off.

Semper Fi
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Forgot about the OP featherweight spec. Beretz is correct.

Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TomM1
The supergrade is way too much stock for a Fwt. It works best on semi-heavy rifles (375H&H).

If you want more meat in the forearm than the Fwt, I’m afraid the Compact/Hunters Edge might leave you wanting. From what I recall it’s a good bit shorter than the Fwt forearm, and a more open grip.

I would choose either the classic or the P-64 Monte Carlo. If you don’t mind a lower comb, the classic is a really nice stock. The P-64 has a higher comb, tighter grip and a meatier forearm without going overboard. It’s the same stock that came on P-64 Fwts, so shouldn’t look alien.

Some more good info! I believe this is why I chose not to go Hunters edge on my current stock. The Classic comes uncheckered I believe (only downside to me) but I like the shape a lot. Looking like the featherweight stock is still a contender for this rifle as well. It fits me very well too.

Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So, it looks like going off of the McM site these are all recommended as good for the featherweight:

Classic, Hunters Edge/Compact, P-64 Monte Carlo and featherweight.

Gonna look at the P-64 and classic again but as of right now, looks like for me, the Classic and Featherweight are leading.

Truth be told, I want a Remington Mountain Rifle stock inletted for a Model 70!

Last edited by Sixpack; 01/27/20.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I use the Hunters EDGE on my Featherweights. Ordered a Bridges for a WSM but the Hunters EDGE is a great stock on light, slender rifles.

Wouldn’t put a Legend on a smaller 22” barreled rifle, they seem to fit better for me on the 7 Mag, 300, 338 and 37 mags with longer barrels where the recoil reduction pays off.

Agree.

My only Legend was on a .404J. It works great in that scenario.

I have several Hunter's Edge. I don't like the Hunter, sold the one I inherited in a trade, replaced it with a Hunter's Edge, as posted earlier.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Agree.

My only Legend was on a .404J. It works great in that scenario.

I have several Hunter's Edge. I don't like the Hunter, sold the one I inherited in a trade, replaced it with a Hunter's Edge, as posted earlier.

DF

I really see the advantages with the heavier recoilers. My Mashburn just points and shoots like I want. Same for the 338 and 375.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by beretzs; 01/27/20.

Semper Fi
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Has anyone here used one of the McMillan Sako classic stocks, on there Winchester?

Got one delivered just about 3 months ago ordered through the gear shop. There is a $50 or so up-charge to have them inlet for the M70 action. Great stock, really happy with the way it turned out.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Sixpack
Would love to see a picture of a Hunters edge too...

First, here's a picture of a J Earl Bridges design that nyrifleman sent me. He likes the way they fit. I guess it's somewhere between a Legend and a Hunters Edge. It's slimmer than the Legend, has an open grip and a cheek piece. Reportedly you have to call Bridges to get one; McM makes them, like the Legend, to Bridges' proprietary design.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here are some Hunters Edge stocks, first on an HS Precision. I don't have any on M-70's. Clean classic lines, shorter forearm, no cheek piece.

Short action M-700. Forearms are very stiff. You can free float with a minimum gap.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
An observation, although subtle, look at where nyrifleman has his scope mounted and how mine are positioned.

I like scopes back a bit for more of a heads up position. I don't think the Hunter's Edge comb has too much drop for scope. To me it's about right.

I've not asked him, but would postulate he likes a more head forward shooting position. The Bridges is about the best handling stock for him. I can't say, have never handed one, but I do like the way they look.

From the photo, the Bridges grip may be slightly more open than the Hunters Edge. I didn't get a photo of the full forearm, not sure if it's shorter, like the Hunter's Edge or more of a std. length. The 26" barrel on the HS Precision looks really long with the shorter Hunter's Edge forearm. It's a 240 Wby.

Nyrifleman may want to chime in on the Bridges stock and why he favors it.

DF

Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the pictures! Very nice rigs!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
nyrifleman did send a picture showing the forearm. Looks sorta like the Hunter's Edge. I'd have to put them side by side to be sure. I was trying to measure LOP and extrapolate that to forearm. But don't know his LOP.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/27/20.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

This was called the Sako Express when I got it inletted for my MkV. They now call it the Wby Express.

I like the comb and the way it handles. That's probably different from the Sako Classic.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
DF,
You’ve got some very nice rifles, sir!

Those HS Precision rifles always get my attention. Love the looks of the strait lines.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jkinpa
DF,
You’ve got some very nice rifles, sir!

Those HS Precision rifles always get my attention. Love the looks of the strait lines.

Beats the heck out of the OEM HS stock. Weighed 42 oz vs. 26 oz Hunters Edge. I glassed and free floated it.

Best load is 100 NPT over MRP. Best three shot group was 1.7" at 400 yds. I know, I know, three shots. Don't think I could do that again, although the rifle may. Not bad for a hunting weight rifle. HS makes their cut rifled barres in house, probably as good as the best, based on how they shoot.

I glassed and free floated the McWoody Wby Express, swapped OEM trigger for a Timney. It has a match grade, 8 twist Brux in 7RM. Does great with the heavies over RL-26.

So the HS is a Wby, the Wby is a 7RM

Go figure. Loony stuff for sure.

DF

Edited to show you what 42 oz of pure ugly looked like. My son sold it on EBay. Got a decent price for it.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/27/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sevens

Got one delivered just about 3 months ago ordered through the gear shop. There is a $50 or so up-charge to have them inlet for the M70 action. Great stock, really happy with the way it turned out.

I really like my Sako Classic as well. Forearm is a few inches longer than the Compact and just a bit bigger all around.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Your wish is my command. RJ
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.