Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Hastings
There is no such thing as zero per cent financing. There is interest built in to the price or there's a hook somewhere in the bait.

Jesus Christ...

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I already do almost all the things on that list and I've never read Ramsey's book. Most of it's just common sense and stuff that's practiced naturally by poor country folks who were raised to be frugal and practical. Those things are the reason I've never in my life financed a car, had a credit card or financed anything other than my home, despite the fact that I've never made much money. Everything is cash and if I don't have the cash I don't buy it period. I don't believe 1000.00 is enough of an emergency fund these days. I always try to keep at least 3k in mine and that's in addition to my regular savings account.

$1000 is the starter emergency fund. He recommends 3-6 months expenses for fully funded emergency fund in step 3. Step 2 is paying off al debt except the house and that’s where most people struggle
Three more mortgage payments to go and I'm debt free..

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I liked the book Die Broke.

Your last check should be to the mortuary, and it should bounce.

My kids ain’t gettin’ nuthin’.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I laughed my ass off, one called in years ago, paid $3000 for a monkey.

Used to do a Pets and Money hour.

brokedicks blowing $5k on a parrot, salt water fish tanks

What does the Great and Powerful Oz Ramsey have to say about Golden Corral and CiCi's lunch buffets? OK if you don't put them on the Visa card? Good only if you clean your plate? Best if you can find a roach and bring it to the attention of mgmt and get the proverbial free lunch?

Geno
he says if you weren’t a slave to car notes, you could have more money at the end of the month to save for Taylor Swift show in New Zealand Like Duh!!!

laugh

GD Biotch din't tell me she was headed there. For fuggs sake, I coulda saved money for the show and maybe one of them fancy hunts for the funny horned "elks" they got there.

Just saw Halsey on the SNL, I might have to switch allegiances from TS, Taylor's starting to get a bit old now too, doncha think? Gonna need botox in the forehead for wrinkles soon.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
There is no such thing as zero per cent financing. There is interest built in to the price or there's a hook somewhere in the bait.

Jesus Christ...

It's OK Dave,

I think it's just a protest against the evil "Profit Motive".

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Taylor Swift mama gots a toomuh,

Halsy sounds like she’s drunk on cough syrup

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
‘Course, towards the end of life priorities shift somewhat.

I figure I’ve got one vehicle left in me, prob’ly a Toyota something, and will run it for twenty years or dead whichever comes first. I can make payments and drive it upon purchase, or continue to try and drive my two old junkers for another four years at a savings of about $4,000.

Would it be worth it to me to spend $4,000 extra in payments over four years to have a reliable vehicle all that time? Absolutely.

Prob’ly buy used when the time comes, I browse CarMax for relaxation.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ve been driving company cars for 22 years. Bought my ‘97 Ford F-250 Powerstroke used from my dad, the original owner. Just the house to go, maybe 3 more years.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I figure I’ve got one vehicle left in me, prob’ly a Toyota something, and will run it for twenty years or dead whichever comes first. I can make payments and drive it upon purchase, or continue to try and drive my two old junkers for another four years at a savings of about $4,000.

Would it be worth it to me to spend $4,000 extra in payments over four years to have a reliable vehicle all that time? Absolutely.

Pos cars are easy to own, in the age of cell phones.

Also pos cars will go 200-300k miles if you don’t do no starsky and hutch type chit.

Back before cell phones, cars were played out at a 100k

Busting a u joint and no cell and having to walk 5 miles to the first hatchet murderers house always made for a bad day.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by deflave

Jesus Christ...

Wrong thread man... but I still dont see him?

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I laughed my ass off, one called in years ago, paid $3000 for a monkey.

Used to do a Pets and Money hour.

brokedicks blowing $5k on a parrot, salt water fish tanks

What does the Great and Powerful Oz Ramsey have to say about Golden Corral and CiCi's lunch buffets? OK if you don't put them on the Visa card? Good only if you clean your plate? Best if you can find a roach and bring it to the attention of mgmt and get the proverbial free lunch?

Geno
he says if you weren’t a slave to car notes, you could have more money at the end of the month to save for Taylor Swift show in New Zealand Like Duh!!!

laugh

GD Biotch din't tell me she was headed there. For fuggs sake, I coulda saved money for the show and maybe one of them fancy hunts for the funny horned "elks" they got there.

Just saw Halsey on the SNL, I might have to switch allegiances from TS, Taylor's starting to get a bit old now too, doncha think? Gonna need botox in the forehead for wrinkles soon.

Geno

Taylor Swift is a fugging goomba.

A rich goomba. ..

Lurch,s semi good looking kid sister from the Adams family whose world revolves around a couple of stupid cats that need the good ole back up 5 and punt treatment.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Also pos cars will go 200-300k miles if you don’t do no starsky and hutch type chit.

270 and 370 thou on the ones I’m running (the older one with a 170 thou salvage motor, still doesn’t burn oil) The school auto shop has been keeping me afloat these past few years, that and the fact they’re Toyotas cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I’ve been driving company cars for 22 years. Bought my ‘97 Ford F-250 Powerstroke used from my dad, the original owner. Just the house to go, maybe 3 more years.
P

Good for you!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We bought furniture on one of these deals years ago.
I ask the shop owner what the hook was, no one gives me a couple
grand for six months for free.

He said, "I was just going to warn you."

It was through a small bank/high interest loan place.
They actually do it for free.

HOWEVER. the interest is calculated at around 25%, starting the day
you sign. No payment plan. No required payments for six month.

IF, you don't have it fully paid off before the 6 months expire, you go on a
monthly payment plan.

And owe all the interest from day one.

He told me that this costs
him nothing, he recieves nothing.
It does allow him to sell more furniture.

And, while it is a benefit to his customers,
He goes beyond Truth-in-lending rules to explain the situation to
people.

I would love to know the ratio of people who benefit/dumbasses who
get screwed.

Well, screw themselves.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Pos cars are easy to own, in the age of cell phones.

Back before cell phones, cars were played out at a 100k

Busting a u joint and no cell and having to walk 5 miles to the first hatchet murderers house always made for a bad day.

Sheeeeit fella,

what the heck you think the roll of tie wire was in the toolbox in the trunk for? That and some ducktape, wire up that joint, wrap it good with the sticky stuff, get you back to the main road if you take it slow.

If it's a long ways you might have to repair the repair a time or two, but I'm not one for stopping at strangers houses on dark roads, specially as good lookin' as I am.

Some 'ol bearded toothless hag likely to snatch me up at gunpoint and have her way with me.................no way sailor, I'm a big proponent of tie wire and ducktape.

GEno

Last edited by Valsdad; 01/27/20.

In it is contentment

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have an '04 Pontiac Montana 7 passenger minivan. I bought it from my mother when she gave up her license in '07 and have put 140k on it since then. It's got 210k and is still running fine, getting 22-24 mpg and using almost no oil. I had the tranny rebuilt at about 120k. We don't use it for long distance travel anymore as I don't trust it but it makes a great runabout to save miles on our newer car and pickup. I'll run it until it falls apart. It costs about 300-350/yr for tags and liability insurance.

Sounds like it meets your needs. For others, like me, it would not. Different needs for different desires I suppose...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I love these threads!

Just by seeing all the payday advance businesses popping up around our small town lately, I’d say there is definitely a need for a guy like Dave Ramsey.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have an '04 Pontiac Montana 7 passenger minivan. I bought it from my mother when she gave up her license in '07 and have put 140k on it since then. It's got 210k and is still running fine, getting 22-24 mpg and using almost no oil. I had the tranny rebuilt at about 120k. We don't use it for long distance travel anymore as I don't trust it but it makes a great runabout to save miles on our newer car and pickup. I'll run it until it falls apart. It costs about 300-350/yr for tags and liability insurance.

Sounds like it meets your needs. For others, like me, it would not. Different needs for different desires I suppose...

I suspect it would meet your needs just fine, Ed, but not your wants........

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wife and I buy a new car about every 4 or 5 years, get about 60K on them and they seem to sell for a little more.
I bought a new 2017 Explorer with cash, then a year later wife bought a new 2018 Terrain. We were going to pay cash but the dealer said he could give us another $500 discount if we financed with GMAC, I asked if the was any penalty for early payoff and he said none. Made one payment then paid it off, easy $500. I figure from past experience, trading in our cars is like getting a 40-50% discount on new ones.
We have no dept, house paid for, condo paid for, 3 cars paid for, only monthly payments are utilities, gas, food and some fun.
Unlike others here we have set up a trust fund for our kids, we brought them into this world, we figure we can help them out when we leave this world, both wife and I did receive some $$$ when our folks passed.
We have been lucky in life and money, from food stamps in college and student loan dept, to paying for our three kids 4 year college degrees, they seem to be following the same course in finances that we did, so now at 75 we've been married 53 years (that's a big money factor vs. divorce) and have stayed healthy. What worked for us may not work for everyone, but saving and investing from our early 20's has paid big dividends now.
Luck, good health, good marriage, and a good education was the secrete to our success.

Last edited by jbmi; 01/28/20.

"The older I get, the better I was"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like Dave, and believe he provides a valuable service for most of America. It's really rather simple though......get out of debt, live on less than you make, invest all you can.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (44mc, 1100mag, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,256
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.