Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I use the Remington 6.5 primer, with 1680, just to throw a monkey wrench into things. I use it mostly with the Midsouth 34gr. HP, which shoots well up close, and is c-h-e-a-p to buy, less than $9/100 last time I looked. I also use the old 40gr. Sierra SP Hornet bullets, but I don't mess around much with others, as I have other rifles for that sort of thing.

My little CZ Hornet is funner than a barrel of monkeys to shoot.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My favorite regular Hornet load (not K-Hornet) is 6 grains 2400, any old small pistol primer, and cast lead 55 grain Lee Bator. Used in a German kiplauf with 1-9" twist. Alright, it isn't a Hornet, just looks like one and I use Hornet dies to load for it. An ancient little beastie called 5.6x35R. If it looks like a duck, and it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Another note: Along with 300-MP, CFEBLK is also a very good powder in the K-Hornet.

I have a can of CFE BLK, just haven't used it in the .22 K-Hornet. I see where it's just a tad slower burning than Pwr Pro 300-MP, similar to A-1680.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's especially useful for heavier bullets from 40 grains up--even 50-grain spitzers if your rifle has a 1-14 twist. Plus, of course, it has a decoppering agent.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's especially useful for heavier bullets from 40 grains up--even 50-grain spitzers if your rifle has a 1-14 twist. Plus, of course, it has a decoppering agent.

My CZ is 16 twist, so don't think it'll do very well with heavier bullets, probably 40 gr. tops.

DF

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Good stuff guys. This should give me plenty to start with. Thanks for refreshing my memory on a few things and point out several new points as well.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SS336
The load I use in my Browning 1885 is...13 grs of Lil' Gun, 40gr Hornady V-Max, Rem 9 1/2 primer, Lee factory crimp die, seated out just off the lands Neck sizing with Redding die, bullet seater is Forster. Pretty universal load for the Hornet now. In my rifle it's well under an inch at 100yds.

You probably mean 6 1/2 primers .....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

My CZ is 16 twist, so don't think it'll do very well with heavier bullets, probably 40 gr. tops.

DF

Exactly. My K-Hornet had a 1-16 twist, and even on a warm summer day at 4200 feet above sea level, groups with spitzers heavier than 40 grains were in the 4" range. But the velocities were impressive!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
IMR 4227, or H-4227 or Winchester 296 have all worked well in my two Hornets with 40 or 45 grain bullets. The 40 gr Blitzking and 40 Nosler Varmageddon (tipped) have done well in a few recent load work ups. My rifles are a Ruger no.3 and a Kimber Super America 82.

I’ve also developed some 22 Magnum level loads with Alliant 2400 and IMR-4759 (discontinued) using the same 40 grain hollow point bullets that have been loaded in the 22 Mag along with the 40 and 45 grain Sierra “hornet” bullets and the Speer 46 grain flat nose.

I’ve tried Lil Gun but my rifles didn’t do very well

Last edited by navlav8r; 01/29/20.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it or not, but a Lee Collet Die is helpful in prolonging case life. Also you can use regular full length sizing dies and only size about 1/2 of the neck, I think JB put me on to that trick.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my mod 70 loves the nosler 45gr. hornet bullets with ww296 and cci match primers. once I started this load it shot very well in 3 different hornets, velocity is really!!!good. enjoy your new world. turkey killing machine .

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

DF

I get excellent accuracy(about 0.8 moa for five shots, average) with the 46 gn Winchester HP in my Brno. No issues with stability as far as I can see, no doubt because it is a rather dumpy bullet. Despite its dumpiness it performs well enough on small game/varmints - I've even dropped the odd pig with it - for me to continue using it. I also use 40 gn spitzers (Sierra), which admittedly shoot a mite flatter, and with similar accuracy.

I'm still using W296 with both, and it works well for me. I don't expect my Hornet to reach out past about 200 yards. I have other rifles for that. For walking around potting rabbits, hares, foxes, cats, and perhaps the odd pig, with little noise, recoil, or cost, I reckon there are few better.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by dan_oz

DF

I get excellent accuracy(about 0.8 moa for five shots, average) with the 46 gn Winchester HP in my Brno. No issues with stability as far as I can see, no doubt because it is a rather dumpy bullet. Despite its dumpiness it performs well enough on small game/varmints - I've even dropped the odd pig with it - for me to continue using it. I also use 40 gn spitzers (Sierra), which admittedly shoot a mite flatter, and with similar accuracy.

I'm still using W296 with both, and it works well for me. I don't expect my Hornet to reach out past about 200 yards. I have other rifles for that. For walking around potting rabbits, hares, foxes, cats, and perhaps the odd pig, with little noise, recoil, or cost, I reckon there are few better.

Length is the deal. So, “dumpy” may be short enough, even with that weight, to work OK. Have not tried that one. May have to check it out.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dan,

There are all sorts of takes on the .22 Hornet, but I got really interested in it 20 years ago after shooting a friend's Ruger No. 1B .2i8 Bee, which because of the 26" barrel could easily drive 40-grain Ballistic Tips to 3200 fps. This turned the old round into a 250-300 yard varmint rifle, with so little recoil I could actually see the bullet hit through the scope through a pretty high-X scope. He was interested in selling it, but at the time .218 brass was very scarce, so I ordered a .22 Hornet 1B directly from Ruger, a standard offering at the time.

Discovered (as I suspected) that it was only about 100 fps behind the .218--and because of the higher BC of 40-grain Ballistic Tips the old Hornet (which many still consider a 200 cartridge at most) was easily a 250-300+ yard round. This was both because of the higher BC of the plastic-tipped bullet, but also because of Li'l Gun powder, which got 3000+ fps from the 26-inch barrel, with excellent accuracy. Essentially, both new bullets and powders turned the old Hornet into a .222 Remington (or at least what the .222 was when introduced, with 50-grain softpoints) but with even less recoil, and using half the powder for longer barrel life. Plus, the pressures were so much lower with Li'l Gun that the thin Hornet brass lasted almost indefinitely, which is not what I found with "traditional" .22 Hornet powders like 296 (which I am sure youl know is H110 with a different name). The longest shot I've made with the "modern" .22 Hornet was 427 yards, on a 2-pound prairie dog. However, that was on a pretty calm day.

In general I find it a 300-yard round with plastic-tipped 40's at 3000+ fps, whether the Ballistic Tip, V-Max or whatever. But if somebody wants to limit the .22 Hornet to its traditional ballistics with blunt bullets around 45-46 grains, why not? But those are the ballistics that almost killed it off when the .222 was first introduced, because the .222 was a definite 250-300 yard round.

Much of the reason the .22 Hornet has made a comeback is the improvements due to newer powders--which not only get more velocity, but extend case life, due to lower pressures.

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The thing I enjoy most about the Hornet (and its attendant twist "handicaps"), is its ability to make cast loads run like your favorite jacketed bullets, with the same powder charges.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Lowest scope set up I've found for the 527 CZ. I used this rail (see link) and low Weavers. Need the low CZ bolt handle to make it work. Easy to swap out.

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1133585

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a .22 Hornet in a Savage mod 23 (pawn shop find) way back when rather young, and it shot lights out even with that side mount for the scope. Somehow or other I managed to get a small gouge in the chamber and it caused case ejection to become rough, then difficult. I tried to clean it up and the one-piece barrel/action setup defeated that. So, I figured out the way to clean it up would be to ream it out to K Hornet.

I wrote to Clymer (no e-mail in the early 60s) and asked them if they would make a K Hornet reamer with a long shank so I could go in through the action end. They wrote back - said it would be more costly than I would wish, but told me of a gunsmith customer who had one. I called him about the issue - he was nice to lend me the reamer - mailed it - went into Yuma to a small machine shop/gun guy and we make a K Hornet in about 15 minutes. Wish things would still work that way.

The K Hornet was just a bit more punchy than the original and still shot lights out. Local guys seemed enamored of that little rifle and eventually sold it for a lot more than I had in it. Went back to the same pawn shop and got a nice Win Model 54 in .22 Hornet. Haven't sold that one.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I rented a reamer and a T handle, opened Hornet to K-Hornet by hand. Did two chambers, CZ and T/C Contender. Fired cases will interchange, so they’re pretty close.

DF

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a #1B in 22h. Accuracy was unacceptable.
Currently have two Anschutz 1730 in 22h. Both very accurate, 3/4” groups at 100 yd.
My load
Win brass
Fed sm pistol
13.2 lilgun, full case
Various 40 gr bullets, Berger mostly

NRA Patron
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

367 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 42 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,561
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.