-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are two kinds of self-proclaimed reloading "experts." There is the guy who insists we all stick to lab-tested book loads no matter what gun is used. And then there's the guy who says he loads above the book but "knows" his load is safe.

I'll let you decide who is smarter.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think Jack O Connor 's wife took a 7×57 to Africa.
She may have used a 30-06 on the big five.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Lots of variables, is the brass new?
Are you blowing primers?

Chamber and bore diameter or twist could be different than somebody elses.
Wear safety glasses if you like your eyes.
Try a Ruger #1 in 45-70 for fun.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I see nothing wrong with your rifle, caliber choice or load. I probably would use a different bullet, but thats just personal. Your results speak for themselves. I don't pay much (read that as any) attention to those "experts". I kind of feel the same way with most of the stuff that I see on Utube.

I use most of the published load data as a guide. In a modern rifle I would push cartridges like the 7 X 57 a little more than most factory. With more modern cartridges I don't try to hot rod them.

My load for my match rifle in 6.5-284 is over most of the listed book max loads. Its been used by a lot of competitors and I approached it cautiously. Its a custom action thats very smooth and would be easy to feel if the bolt lift became sticky. There are no pressure signs on the primer or case head. Case head expansion never approaches .001. I'll shoot the same 40 cases for an entire season, so case life is normal.

lightman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never seen any reason to push the loads in any of my rifles. If I feel the need for more power I move up to a bigger rifle.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Down at the club I was having a conversation with a "Book Smart" reloader. I mentioned that my one deer rifle is a 7x57 Mauser Remington 700. The response was "weak", "can do better than that.

The thing is I'm not using a book load. I'm not using a load that some developer might think could get dropped into a rolling block. I'm using 47.2 grains of R17 with a Federal 205 and 154 grain Hornady Interlock bullets. I'm running right at 2800fps with no stress on the rifle or brass. Formally I had used IMR 4350 that I built up in the same way. That nips the heels of a 280. Only one of the 11 deer I killed with that rifle went over 50 yards and that was because I hit him a bit too far back (back of one lung angled through the center of the opposite). Angles through the chest and through the shoulder I never recovered a single bullet. One, face on shot, I recovered from the front of the hip muscles. That retained 138 grains.

The difference is in reading and understanding. Knowing rifle strength, case capacity and what many people disregard, case design.I use Winchester brass and I dissected a 280 case and a 7x57 case. I found no difference in the case head of the 7x57 and the 280, but then again I didn't think I would.

Now tell me, what in the eastern United States that would not kill cleanly. Hell, I'd shoot an elk with that load.
`

I think you might be able to go a bit higher than that. I read on another site where a fellow ran the 150 gr. Nosler Partition to 2900 FPS using RL17. I PM'ed him asking for details and he said he was using Winchester brass and primer and loaded 49.0 gr. RL17. His rifle was a Winchester M70 Featherweight. I worked up to 48.5 gr. Remington brass and WLR primer and got 2847 FPS with an ES of 39 FPS. Of the three shots, two were literally in the same hole and number three in perfect alignment with the other two but .50" above the group. Brass life has been good and after 6 reloadings primer pockets were still tight. Case head and pressure ring measurements were within tolerances. Primers flattened but still have rounded outside edges.
FWIW, I also tried working up to that level in a custom Mauser with a very tight chamber. That rifle shows high pressures signs even on the weak factory ammo. Measurements are on the tight side but within SAAMI tolerances. That rifle is driving me sane. It is very accurate though.
I still haven't tried working up with RL17 in a Ruger #1A due to time constraints and now it may be some time before I can go that route. A vehicle crash has me fairly well messed up for a while with a fractured sternum, and yes, 27 days after the accident it still hurts like hell in two ways. One is the pain from the injury which is taking its damned sweet time going away and two, the only thing the doc will allow me to shoot in a .22 LR.
So far tough, I really do like the results I've gotten from RL17 in the 7x57 and it shows a lot of promise for the 30-06 as well.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Armednfree: I have killed Bull Elk with a 280 Remington Rifle - see no reason a carefully placed shot with a 7x57 and a good bullet would not do the same.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Avoid the "book smart reloader" at the club.

Or........ use him as a source for entertainment. See what other BS you can squeeze out of .

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Congratulations on shooting a classic cartridge. I like the 7x57 round.

Some reloading manuals have data specific for both older and newer rifles in 7X57. The manuals will give advice on which loads can be used in different rifles. I would consult the manuals and abide by the information in them. I have used a number of the newer loads in a Ruger 1-A. Those loads perform similar to a 7mm-08.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Saami chamber psi is 51,000 for 7x57.

Remington 700 is clearly capable of handling 65,000, as in some Weatherby chamberings.

Brass is just a gasket, some might hold better than others. Necking down 8x57 Lapua could produce the best brass in the chambering.

Nothing says you can or should load it to the wall, but at equal pressures the old 7 is as capable as anything above ,below or beside it.

It can outclass a 7mm08 & comparing it to a 284 Win. or 7mm06 is fruitless. The later 2 can outpace, but only by a slim margin. Like picking the pepper out of fly chit.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Down at the club I was having a conversation with a "Book Smart" reloader. I mentioned that my one deer rifle is a 7x57 Mauser Remington 700. The response was "weak", "can do better than that.

The thing is I'm not using a book load. I'm not using a load that some developer might think could get dropped into a rolling block. I'm using 47.2 grains of R17 with a Federal 205 and 154 grain Hornady Interlock bullets. I'm running right at 2800fps with no stress on the rifle or brass. Formally I had used IMR 4350 that I built up in the same way. That nips the heels of a 280. Only one of the 11 deer I killed with that rifle went over 50 yards and that was because I hit him a bit too far back (back of one lung angled through the center of the opposite). Angles through the chest and through the shoulder I never recovered a single bullet. One, face on shot, I recovered from the front of the hip muscles. That retained 138 grains.

The difference is in reading and understanding. Knowing rifle strength, case capacity and what many people disregard, case design.I use Winchester brass and I dissected a 280 case and a 7x57 case. I found no difference in the case head of the 7x57 and the 280, but then again I didn't think I would.

Now tell me, what in the eastern United States that would not kill cleanly. Hell, I'd shoot an elk with that load.

You might inform him that Kilimanjaro Bell (aka, W. D. M. Bell) killed over 800 elephants with Mauser 7x57mm (aka, 275 Rigby) rifle and military sold, round nose 173 grain ammo. Not bad for an inadequate round.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
ArmedandFree:

Yes, About 1986 I had a custom 7x57 built on a Sako action and Douglas barrel; I was using a similar load to yours, and same results. People sometimes know what they are doing and happen to be correct about their knowledge.

And, gun clubs often have ignorant aspirants.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Talkin' rifles in Ohio or Pennsylvania is bound to draw some hilarious comments.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
When I had my 7x57 M70, I was using data out of Hornady's #3 manual. Compared to everyone else's manuals, the data was HOT! I had no excessive pressure signs out of my rifle, and I was loading on an RCBS Junior press, and noted no more difficulty in sizing the Winchester cases, either. That press hasn't got the juice a Rockchucker has, by any means.

Didn't matter, it killed coyotes and deer without drama. I was running a 139 SP at 2860 fps, roughly the same fps. I was getting out of my .270 with 140s (I loaded it pretty mildly). Same weight bullets, more or less the same diameter bullets, same effect on critters. Big deal.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
People keep mentioning Bell and the elephants but it isn't really relevant to the way the heavy majority of people use the 7x57.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I shoot an FN Mauser 98 in 7X57 that was made in 1952. My "go to" load is a 160 grain Partition with 47 grains of H4350, WLR primer and R-P brass. I haven't chrono'd it, but it's my rifle of choice here in Utah for deer, antelope, elk, bear and if I can ever draw a moose tag, I'll take it on that hunt too. Very little can't be done with a 7X57 and a 160 grain Partition. Sometimes shooting range "experts" are idiots. Lord knows there are plenty of them around. Remember the definition of "expert" An ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bell used a .275Rigby, according to what I have read. A rimmed version of a 7X57mm.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The 275 Rigby is not a rimmed cartridge. It is the British name for the 7x57 and is the same exact, rimless cartridge.

Last edited by mart; 01/29/20.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Fugg him......
Always bring your 7x57 to the range.
When Tackleberry is their shooting his awesome stuff.
Lay down a 3 or 5 shot group.
Pull the target
Show the "reloading god" the group and point out the 1st hole from the cold barrel.
Just make the comments

"Thats the one that counts"
"This rifle kills schitt dead other than paper"
And simply walk away and dont give him a chance to respond to feel smug.
Try and do it around his fan boys also if he has some.

If ya really wanta fugg him up.
Lay a previous target with a date on it pointing out # 1 again and how they line up nicely.

Sometimes the best approach is a "in your face cold approach".
Fugg feelings........
Never give the dude the least little chance of an interaction ever again either, dont feed his ego.

Really wanta fugg him up...
Go the "pics or it never happened" route with dead schitt from that rifle pics.
LOL!!!
Fugg him....
Let him eat fisheads....

Just saying.....
LOL!!!

Last edited by renegade50; 01/29/20.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,837
Posts18,478,100
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.