Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Been reading some about it lately. The book I'm in now is a fictional work, interlaced with actual accounts from pioneer folks from the area during the 1811-12 quakes. The fiction is entertaining. The factual accounts are fascinating.

When I was much younger we hunted some over in the St Francis Sunk Country. We were (at least I was) oblivious then as to what might occur in the future. Those I hunted there with are now passed on and I'll never have the chance to ask what they knew.

Anybody live on or near any prominent quake features? Reelfoot area guys?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I grew up in Western Kentucky very close to it. The first shake I felt was when I was about 6 years old. I had never heard of earthquakes before.

I thought it was the end of the world.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I live just east of St Louis in Illinois. We don't have any of the features here that you're looking for but we get rocked every time there's a 5.0 or better. I've been down to Cape Giradeau a few times (epicenter) and haven't noticed anything outside the norm. I think the Mississippi River has obliterated most of the features created during the big ones in 1811-12.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
DownWind

Do you have any particular plan for the eventuality of the next major quake? Seems there is some doubt that much of ST Louis or Memphis would survive.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
"Do you have any particular plan for the eventuality of the next major quake? Seems there is some doubt that much of ST Louis or Memphis would survive."

I live out in boonies and away from those tall concrete and steel structures. My plan would be to walk out in the middle of the nearby field and watch the Gateway Arch dance.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Why does it always have to be somebody's fault? Sometimes things just happen.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Years ago, I was given an antique A. M. Bowles duck call. It looks like rosewood and has a brass ring.

In researching A. M. Bowles and his work, I learned about Reelfoot lake and the 1811 Earthquake when the MS River ran backwards.

The last 7.7 quake in the Atlantic off the coast of FL is interesting. Reportedly they felt it in Miami, actually evacuated some buildings.

I have a video of a local guy showing water in his pond slowly flowing one way, then another way. Subtle but not a naturally occurring thing. Not enough motion to feel it, but something was causing that water to move back and forth. And, that's in Louisiana, quite a ways from FL. So, who knows. We're mostly into flooding and hurricanes, not quakes.. Not sure there is a connection, but for sure a curiosity.

I've read that lakes in Yellowstone are moving, water levels changing. As you know, that whole area sits over a giant caldera. Evidently there is enough activity to move the ground such that the water level is changing.

Interesting stuff.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Somewhere out there is an account written by a guy named Nicholas James Roosevelt.

He's the Roosevelt that made Roosevelt Roosevelt. He got rich by backing Fulton, and then trying to enforce a monopoly on steam traffic up and down the Misssissippi. My relative, Henry Miller Shreve, got the best of him finally, but they made a bunch of money early on.

Anyhow, Roosevelt was traveling down the Mississipi when the New Madrid quakes went down. He was on a flatboat with his pregnant wife, and the account of the trip is a ripping good story. You'd have thought the world was coming to the end.

Later on, Henry Miller Shreve was responsible for surveying and platting New Madrid. While there, he hung with some d'Maisonvilles that were French fur trappers-- one of several times one of my ancestors and one of KYHillChick's ancestors crossed paths on the frontier.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
DW, I once lived and worked in Belleville, and my first 'quake happened in the '67-'69 timeframe. I don't recall exactly, but I was in the Western Auto store two blocks east of the downtown fountain when it hit, I still can see the building across the street swaying. They said it was a branch of the New Madrid.

Anyway, the New Madrid has the potential to be a very violent and deadly quake site - according to some experts. As mentioned above, St Louis and Memphis would not fare well, nor any other populated area near the river. The surge could wipe out much of everything from St Louis to New Orleans.

Today, I live on the Wasatch Fault. Not near it. ON it. And it is way overdue. When it eventually goes, it's gonna be quite a ride here!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We have a few fault lines here.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

The New Madrid earthquakes altered the course of the Ohio River, which is the state line between Indiana and Kentucky, putting approximately a 4 mile wide swath and 1 mile deep parcel of Indiana on the Ky side at Evansville, IN / Henderson, Ky. It remains as the IN / KY border still today.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I fished Reelfoot for about a week a few years back & having never been there I tried to prepare my self on things for the sightseeing part.

A lot of the farm land that was close was understandably flat & open, Mississippi river bottom. Grain belt looking. But the area, or a lot of it just in the vicinity of the lake was really knotted up. Domes, mounds, humps, etc. dotted the landscape. A big time upheaval for sure. A look at a Topo map of the area can explain it a heck of a lot better than I could.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They say Caddo Lake in NW La. was formed by the 1811 earthquake.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I live outside Dexter, a bit north of New Madrid. There's small quakes daily, I never feel them. Maybe I drink too much

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

Kidding?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Kidding?

Geno

No.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Kidding?

Geno

No.

Really?

Fault lines in AK?

Who'd have guessed?

Funny story, when I was in Juneau there was a quake out near the end of the Aleutians, a pretty big one. Little bro down in SoCal called or emailed to ask if I'd felt it. I had to explain to him that the quake was nearly as far from me as he was down there at the south end of Cali.

I hope no big ones in your area in the near future.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grew up in southern Kalifornia and I never felt an earthquake until I was stationed at Memphis Naval Air Station for training. That quake was strong enough to wake me up while I was sleeping. We heard on the news that the epicenter for that quake was a couple of hundred miles away, to the north.

Last edited by KC; 01/29/20.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Kidding?

Geno

No.

Really?

Fault lines in AK?

Who'd have guessed?

Funny story, when I was in Juneau there was a quake out near the end of the Aleutians, a pretty big one. Little bro down in SoCal called or emailed to ask if I'd felt it. I had to explain to him that the quake was nearly as far from me as he was down there at the south end of Cali.

I hope no big ones in your area in the near future.

Geno

There will be more shakes, without doubt. Also hope they're small. Thanks, geno.

We've bad two 7+ quakes in the last 4 years. That's plenty!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If I remember history correctly one of the big earthquakes around that time temporarily reverse the flow of the Mississippi River in a certain area

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

302 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 34 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,745
Posts18,495,171
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.