Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have had a few FTF's over the decades, but remarkably few, whether with factory or handloaded ammo.

Once in a while a primer slips through production without any priming compound in it, or not enough to ignite the powder. (Believe it or not, priming compound is still spread by hand, at least in all the primer factories I've visited--which include some of the major American factories.) You can usually tell if this is the case if you decap the case and look at the primer with a magnifiying glass. (Walt Berger taught me that one a while back.) The anvil can also be faulty. But the vast majority of FTF's are due to excess headspace, or a firing pin spring that's not right.

Now to address something that used to be true, but isn't any longer, at least with all the major brands of American primers I know of. Handling primers with your fingers has zero effect, because years ago manufacturers started sealing the priming compound with a water and oil-impervious coatiing. In fact you can soak 'em in water or even oil for several days, rub off the oil, and they'll still go bang. So no, there's no danger of turning a modern primer into a "dud" by handling it with your fingers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Never have had a FTF on a reload, have had a few with old military surplus ammo. Of course several with 22LR's. I wouldn't worry about it, unless it continues.

A
atse Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
........Sigh.......Ya gotta send the scope back to Leupold......

Ha! I'm using a SS 3x15 so no wories. ( yet)

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Now to address something that used to be true, but isn't any longer, at least with all the major brands of American primers I know of. Handling primers with your fingers has zero effect, because years ago manufacturers started sealing the priming compound with a water and oil-impervious coatiing. In fact you can soak 'em in water or even oil for several days, rub off the oil, and they'll still go bang. So no, there's no danger of turning a modern primer into a "dud" by handling it with your fingers.

John,

I'm glad you pointed that out. Early on when I'd have a rare FTF, I used to wonder if I had gotten a little case lube on the primer while handling it, but more recently I know that most, if not all, modern primers are sealed and in the one or two instances that I've had a FTF, it was either a faulty primer or something in my process had gone wrong.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by atse

Upon examination of the cartridge before I threw it down the hill ( last time on these brass) the primer was flush just like all the others.

Mistake ? maybe, You will never KNOW......unless you can find that round and disassemble it.
Maybe bad primer ?
Maybe NO powder ?
You'll never know unless...

In 45 yrs +/- of handloading I've had TWO ftfs.
My little son was watching me at the end of my load table and PICKED UP 2 primers in his sweaty hands.
I ran out of primers ON the table ??? I knew I counted them out. HE had them in his hand.
****** that was before 1986, 82,83,84, somewhere in there. ******

I marked those 2 rounds before I went shooting.
Those TWO rounds did not fire. I RE loaded with new primers.......BANG.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
........Sigh.......Ya gotta send the scope back to Leupold......

Ha! I'm using a SS 3x15 so no wories. ( yet)

grin

A
atse Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by jwall

Upon examination of the cartridge before I threw it down the hill ( last time on these brass) the primer was flush just like all the others.

Mistake ? maybe, You will never KNOW......unless you can find that round and disassemble it.
Maybe bad primer ?
Maybe NO powder ?
You'll never know unless...

In 45 yrs +/- of handloading I've had TWO ftfs.
My little son was watching me at the end of my load table and PICKED UP 2 primers in his sweaty hands.
I ran out of primers ON the table ??? I knew I counted them out. HE had them in his hand.
****** that was before 1986, 82,83,84, somewhere in there. ******

I marked those 2 rounds before I went shooting.
Those TWO rounds did not fire. I RE loaded with new primers.......BANG.

Jerry

There was powder, just no ignition.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
O K

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After burning through several thousand rounds of 223 and 204 over the last couple of years, all loaded with Rem 7 1/2 primers, I had a FTF at the range a couple of weeks ago. I even rechambered it and tried to make it go bang.

Nothing

So I guess the question is, should I find a different primer? Or continue with the Rems? I would probably have use them with my fingers crossed hoping that there isn't another dud somewhere in the two cases I have on the shelf.

By the way, the sarcasm button is on.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
👍

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve had a couple, didn’t put powder in the case.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I have only had a few. I have picked up more than a few live rounds off the ground at the range that were FTF with a firing pin dent in the primer. I usually pull the bullets on these and most of the time I found the round devoid of powder.

Seems like the primer would give it just enough oomph to get the bullet stuck in the barrel.

I wondered if someone was going to point this out

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a few FTF's with CCI 200's a few years back. 30-30 in 2 different guns, A 1977 Marlin 336 and a pre-64 Winchester 94. I disassembled them and they all had powder. Reassembled them with Federal 210 primers and the problem disappeared.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe your bolt wasn't all the way closed and the energy required to sufficiently strike the primer just wasn't there. I've seen that happen.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have broken down all the rounds that failed to fire in my rifles over the years. Found the powder missing in two that I can recall. Otherwise the primer did not go off, and all were retried before breaking them down. Some went off on the second try, and one on the third try. If they didn't fire in 3 tries, I gave up.

Have only had one FTF due to a lack of powder push the bullet into the throat of the rifle. That would depend considerably on the size of the case, and how firmly the bullet was seated (and possibly crimped) into the neck.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I have only had a few. I have picked up more than a few live rounds off the ground at the range that were FTF with a firing pin dent in the primer. I usually pull the bullets on these and most of the time I found the round devoid of powder.

Seems like the primer would give it just enough oomph to get the bullet stuck in the barrel.

I wondered if someone was going to point this out

I have never experienced a primer pushing a bullet into the barrel. Nor do I know anyone personally that it has happened to. Just my experiences.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
From time to time I will pick up a failure to fire at our range. If it is something that I shoot I will try it and find that most fire.

That being said I am very careful what I put in my guns. Most of what I find are unfired commercial loads. Handloads are either tossed or taken apart at home.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

IIRC, I read an account where a guy soaked primers in WD-40, loaded them and they all went bang...

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had it happen with factory ammunition but never with hand loads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve had a couple, didn’t put powder in the case.

Me too blush

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,920
Posts18,479,752
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.