Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
To those of you that have tried both the Schnee's and Kenetrek pack boots. Which pac boot did you prefer and why? Thanks.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You want comfortable and bombproof, look at Hoffman. Made in Kellogg, Idaho. I wear their boots for line work, feet never been cold, always comfortable, even when on the hooks, and wear like iron. They are likely a little heavier than some others, but very durable, and comfortable.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Whatever you get, make sure they cost $500+

Why? Because you need the best riding around in a heated tractor cab.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by slumlord

Well, not all of us experience the frigid winters you are so accustom to in TN.

You know....taking preparedness measures like growing out your mullet.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by slumlord

Well, not all of us experience the frigid winters you are so accustom to in TN.

You know....taking preparedness measures like growing out your mullet.

You forgot the optional three teeth

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
You know its bad when a Tennessee fellow has to wear socks under his crocs.

Or switch from flip flops to crocs.

Schits about to get real when you see that.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Artic Muck boots here. Even fishing through NW Ontario lake ice.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love my Schnees. Can't compare them to any other as I've never needed another pair.

Carpe' Scrotum
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I bought a pair of Schnees about ten years ago. Very well made boots that can be rebuilt. I've only needed them a few times, but when it's around zero or colder and you're trudging through deep snow or having to sit for long stretches, you won't worry about what it cost to keep your feet warm. I bought the boots with 13" uppers and I've really only needed that height one time. If I bought another pair, I'd probably go with the 10" uppers. Certainly opinions vary on this. Never tried Kenetrek or knew anyone that used them, but would assume they are also good boots.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've had Schnee's, Kenetreks and Whites and the rubber bottoms crack on all of them after two or three seasons. I don't see how people have them last for 8 or 10 years.

I've never come close to wearing out the tread on any of them it's always the rubber cracking right above the ball of the foot where it flexes.

Kenetreks gave me the best traction and surefootedness on hillsides and rough terrain. Whites and their air bobs seem practically useless to me. Its like balancing on a ball. Plus they are noticeably heavier and bulkier.

I can't tell much difference as far as warmth unless you get the arctic or extreme versions with the extra built in insulation.

I bought a pair of Hoffmans last fall but there hasn't been enough winter weather yet to give them a test.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
My Schnees boots are the Hunter II model. I've yet to have any problem with the rubber cracking anywhere. I bought these in the summer of 2011, so they're about eight-and-a-half years old, not ten.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by WhiteFawn
I've had Schnee's, Kenetreks and Whites and the rubber bottoms crack on all of them after two or three seasons. I don't see how people have them last for 8 or 10 years.

I've never come close to wearing out the tread on any of them it's always the rubber cracking right above the ball of the foot where it flexes.

Kenetreks gave me the best traction and surefootedness on hillsides and rough terrain. Whites and their air bobs seem practically useless to me. Its like balancing on a ball. Plus they are noticeably heavier and bulkier.

I can't tell much difference as far as warmth unless you get the arctic or extreme versions with the extra built in insulation.

I bought a pair of Hoffmans last fall but there hasn't been enough winter weather yet to give them a test.

Try Hoffman pacs. I got 5 seasons on my first pair before they started to crack, and then only a little bit. Best built pacs on the market.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for all the replies so far. My reason for wanting the Schnee's or Kenetrek pac boots is for hiking in the deeper snow when the temps are colder and I am not wearing my leather Kenetrek boots. I was wondering if the air bob sole on the Schnee's boot would provide better grip than the Kenetrek sole when walking on the slippery slopes and sticks under the snow. Thanks again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neither. Whites of Spokane, Wa

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got tall Schnee's & they've been good, even for riding & being able to get the boot into a stirrup.

Never had Kenetrek's so can't comment on them.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not to be that guy but have you tried insulated non pac boots? Like a kennetrek mtn extreme insulated. For me a lot better than pacs. I still use pacs mostly if I’m going to be horseback, but if it’s mostly afoot than insulated hiking boots. Especially in rough rocky country. I’m not a big stand hunter but could see where pacs would be nice for that too.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My 2001 vintage Schnees Hunter II's have hundreds of miles of late-season pheasant field CRP and cattails and many more miles hunting deer in the same country and elk in the mountains. No cracks, leather is still in good shape. Toes are obviously worn, but not worn through. I treat the leather with Montana Pitch Blend and keep them out of the sun when I'm not wearing them.

If I was starting over I'd probably buy Schnees again but swap to Bison-leather uppers.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,635
Posts18,512,118
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.