Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#14529736 02/02/20
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Saved the day. Was out in Cascade Concrete with 47 degree F ambient, and slid into a ditch. No trees to winch from so I cleared some snow with a shovel and put one set of Tracgrabbers on the rear. Walked right out of the ditch. Normally, I'd chain all four but this was faster and easier.

Once out of the ditch, I put another set on the rear and chains on the front. Made it about 5 miles on virgin Cascade Concrete which impressed the hell out of me. Looking at other people's tracks, I could see where they all got stuck in the first mile, dug themselves out, and turned back to the highway.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 4th_point; 02/02/20.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
What kind of truck do you have? Most manufactures say not to chain up the front axle. My company truck is a 2019 ford ranger, it is impossible to put chains on the front.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Those grabbers won't work on my Dodge 2500. It has 4 wheel disc brakes and the straps can't clear the calipers. I have narrower tires than stock on it. They give plenty of room for front chains. Some brands only allow the light weight S chains if you can chain the front at all.

Definition of SAE classification

SAE class S:
Regular, non-reinforced passenger tire chains and cables for vehicles with restricted wheel well clearances.

SAE class U:
Regular, non-reinforced and lug-reinforced passenger tire chains for vehicles with regular, non-restricted wheel well clearances.

SAE class W:
Passenger tire chains that use light truck components, as well as some light truck chains.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
What kind of truck do you have? Most manufactures say not to chain up the front axle. My company truck is a 2019 ford ranger, it is impossible to put chains on the front.

2017 Tundra. Toyota states no chains on the front as well. It's a tight fit between the A-arm and tire sidewall so I use the SCC Z-chain.

Although not a replacement for v-bar chain, I've used the Z-chain on cars, trucks, and SUV. People think that they are flimsy cable chains, but they have a higher dry pavement rating that any chain that I know of. Less annoying than ladder bars for noise and vibe too. And I've not babied them. Full throttle in 4-high to break trail for others.

I still think a set of v-bar have their place though grin

Last edited by 4th_point; 02/02/20.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Those grabbers won't work on my Dodge 2500. It has 4 wheel disc brakes and the straps can't clear the calipers. I have narrower tires than stock on it. They give plenty of room for front chains. Some brands only allow the light weight S chains if you can chain the front at all.

My buddy can't get the grabbers on the front of his Tacoma, but they fit the rear. I can put grabbers on the front, but they will hit the fender well if I turn too much. He got stuck in the Cascade Concrete a couple years ago and I pulled him out, but we were close to a drop off that created some serious pucker. If we had grabbers back then, he could have slapped them on and backed up in less than a minute. It would have been faster and safer that getting the strap out and jockeying my truck around to get a good pull.

I find it annoying that trucks are being made where there isn't room for chains! I tend to find that if I need chains, I need all 4 tires with them. I know some people only put them on the rear, but have seen them in the ditch at the bottom hills. Tracks indicate that they couldn't steer to negotiate the turn. And those that only put chains on the front... I've watched their ass-ends swing around and then they are going backwards down the road!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome post, thanks!

Ordered set of four.

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by thumbcocker

2017 Tundra. Toyota states no chains on the front as well. It's a tight fit between the A-arm and tire sidewall so I use the SCC Z-chain.

Although not a replacement for v-bar chain, I've used the Z-chain on cars, trucks, and SUV. People think that they are flimsy cable chains, but they have a higher dry pavement rating that any chain that I know of. Less annoying than ladder bars for noise and vibe too. And I've not babied them. Full throttle in 4-high to break trail for others.

I still think a set of v-bar have their place though grin

I like my Z chains.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Z chains use a rubber tensioner. If you don't hold the speed down, it can stretch and let the cables hit things you might not want hit. I'd suggest adding some strong rope or something to prevent stretching.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Z chains are available with rubber tensioners or cable tensioners. I think they market the ones with cable tensioners for emergency response vehicles.

I've used both types and the rubber tensioners are easier to use. Cable tensioners are fine but you need to get them set correctly, and readjust.

My biggest concern with the rubbers are failure, deterioration, loss, etc. I carry spares just in case and inspect before winter weather.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That’s awesome!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,095
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.