Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Deleted.

Last edited by dbowling; 02/07/20.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No. I just load another bullet & sabot together down the barrel as is normally load my muzzleloader. With a proper fitting sabot it’s not necessary to swab the before loading a second time for any powder. Go with BH209 and swabbing is essentially eliminated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Simple question for the ones denouncing this. Have you ever tried it? I have tried your way. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by milespatton
Simple question for the ones denouncing this. Have you ever tried it? I have tried your way. miles

Why would I even consider trying something that had significant safety risks? There is no upside and a large downside. It should be a non starter.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If a person has the proper sabot and bullet why would they want to try? Simple question for you.Why add another step that has no advantage and has possible problems?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lanenebraska
I have an application where this works great!

While loading a soft round ball in a 50cal or 45 cal sabot. You are able to compress the powder - American pioneer/Shockey's Gold, Trip7 etc...

Then drop the Rball down and gently press it into the sabot - Plunks right in easily!

You will find about 80-100ish grains, will send the 36cal Rball with .357 MMP Sabot into 2600+ FPS, and same for the 50cal Rball and .451-2 MMP Sabot

I got about 1.5 - 2 inch accuracy at 100 yards. A great way to use up some old powder smile

Weight - 36cal Rball = 70grains, 45cal Rball = about 141grains

(By loading the sabot first and compressing the powder, you won't end up deforming the soft lead Rball. These are Low Cost - lightning fast shooters with absolutely no kick!! smile wink )

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I an INTRUIGED with that idea! My .54 Hawken would use a .429" (115 gr) round ball in the correct MMP sabot. I imagine velocity would be smoking for sure.

Might just be a fund Saturday afternoon shoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why would I even consider trying something that had significant safety risks?

Do tell about these significant safety risks. miles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why add another step that has no advantage and has possible problems?

So far I think that I have refuted all of the mentioned problems, so I will ask why not add another step if I want too? How is it hurting you in any way? I have seen the dangers and problems mentioned several times, with no mention of anyone having such problems, so I must conclude that y'all are using these terms like the Democrats used "facts and Witnesses" in the impeachment trial, when there were no facts, just opinion, and no actual witnesses to anything. miles

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

No Sir, no need, as most, if not all propellants are water soluble, a spit patch has worked for 200 years, a spite sabot works too. smile good luck and safety to you.

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Tannhauser

Why would I even consider trying something that had significant safety risks? There is no upside and a large downside. It should be a non starter.

^ this.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
so I will ask why not add another step if I want too? How is it hurting you in any way? ..s

JFC, no one wants to stop you from doing it if you want. Have at it. Go nuts.

Almost every post has just been to the effect of "why not do it properly (with proper fitting sabots) instead of doing something that increases the opportunity for problems."

You are getting weird about this. Are you seeking validation?

Go load one at a time. Sabot first, then projectile. All day long. Enjoy.

Dont try to pawn it off as the better solution though.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are getting weird about this. Are you seeking validation?

No I am trying to get someone to explain to me where the dangers are, when my bullet and sabot ends up at the very same place no matter which method I use. This according to the mark on my ramrod, that has been in the same place for years, way before I started seating in two steps. Even now I do not always do this, but it works for me when I do use this method. miles

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why would I even consider trying something that had significant safety risks?

Do tell about these significant safety risks. miles

One of the basic fundamentals of proper muzzleloading is to firmly wear your projectile against the charge. If there’s a gap between bullet and base of sabot this is not a safe condition.

If a particular sabot/bullet cannot be physically loaded into a once fired rifle, then the sabot is most likely too tight and the prudent shooter would try a different sabot.

So, once again, the process of loading sabot then bullet has no reason to be performed. However, if you want to do it feel free. It’s your fingers, hand or eyes on the line not mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Again, you seemed to have missed this-my bullet and sabot ends up at the very same place no matter which method I use. miles

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (160user, 12344mag, 338rcm, 06hunter59, 270cowboy, 1lesfox, 27 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,847
Posts18,517,442
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.