Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I've had great luck with Bushmaster rifles in the past, but I'm looking at RRA for a new coyote rifle, either their Coyote or Predator Pursuit rifles. I like the trigger better than the Bushy. They also have more feature's for the money, than Bushy I think. But with having the great luck with accuracy out of past Bushmasters I've had, I'm curious who makes their barrels? Bushmaster or are they outsourced? And, are there any RRA Coyote or Predator Pursuit owners out there? How's the accuracy?

Kennon

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'm not sure who makes the barrels for Bushmaster now. A while back, Olympic Arms supplied barrels to both Bushmaster and DPMS. DPMS went to Wilson, and now use Green Mountain, and I believe RRA still uses Wilson. I have heard nothing but good about out-of-the-box accuracy of RRA.

There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental illness"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You won't be unhappy with the RRA accuracy unless you get a lemon which happens with any barrel brands.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Funny - I just spoke with Jim Eden at BM yesterday. My "Varminter" has many thousands of rounds sent helter skelter, nothing drastic in the accuracy change department as yet, but it's comin'.

I spoke with Jim about options when that time arrives. He is a great guy and very, very knowledgeable. I brought up the idea of a chrome lined barrel as a future replacement for my Varminter. I asked about their offering. They do sell a 24in. chrome-lined, fluted (optional) barrel. I was interested in the accuracy of the chrome-lined even though I am well aware that their stock, chrome moly Varminter barrel is very, very accurate. My reasoning for even considering the chrome-lined version would be to extend the barrel life and not having to deal with rebarreling so often.

Jim said that I should expect 1MOA with the chrome-lined which I hadn't counted on, so that's a plus and at least twice the spent rounds out the barrel during it's normal life's expectancy. The difference in price from the stock barrel compared to the chrome-lined is of no real consequence, but the chrome moly comes with a matched, match bolt, he said.

Still not sure what to do when the time comes (probably after this varmint season). Since we're only talking a couple hundred bucks either way and the stock Varminter barrel has been exceedingly accurate for me, I suppose I'm leaning that way.

Just thought this current info might be of some interest to a few...............

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't have anything to add concerning which one is better but, I'm on order for a RRA Coyote. It's going on 6 weeks now. Their expected wait is 6 - 8 weeks for a complete gun. If you decide to get one, find a dealer that has one in stock. Try ar15.com and you'll be able to find tons of dealers so you won't have to wait like I am. I've heard RRA can sometimes take in excess of 3 months to deliver guns. I wish I would have done a little more research before I placed a non-refundable deposit down with my local gun shop for a RRA.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mag-- a chrome lined is the way to go for round count. Generally moa or just over if done right, IF you get a hummer of one it'll be half moa and last probably close to 15K rounds.

K9-- you won't go wrong by waiting for a wilson tubed gun either. RRA is a good buy and always behind. Like good barrels or stocks kinda. Its rare to get it ASAP. Of course if its worth an extra hundred or two to look for one in stock thats your money.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I don't know who makes Bushmaster barrels, but I don't have any problems with their quality or accuracy. Both of my Bushmasters have free floating barrels, and I think this contributes to their accuracy. My XM15 Varminter has at least 3000+ rounds through it, and it will shoot under 3/4" groups from a rest at 100 yards with its favorite factory ammo. My M4 type carbine, despite its trigger and low powered scope, will do under 1" groups with its favorite factory ammo.
[Linked Image]

Both of my Colt Match Targets have JARD single stage triggers, but despite this, my Competition HBAR with a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x5mm scope doesn't shoot any better than my Bushmaster carbine with 1-3x scope. FWIW. I can't tell you the round count for these two.
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hey there Jeff....it's been awhile.

Yeah....just kickin' it around so I'm ready to make that choice when necessary....soon I'm afraid.

I really like the chrome-lined idea given the round count, exclusively. But you know I'm a bit loonier than some on the accuracy side of things....and with small varmints...the loonier the better I've found.

Like I say, the $ difference between the two is no big deal, it's the possible down time and bit of inconvenience (resetting scope, shipping, new load perhaps when I've got many ready to go, yada, yada...) that makes the chrome lined a consideration at all.

Decisions, decisions.

Good to hear from you again.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Worst Colt chromed barrel I've seen would do just under MOA, IE 3/4 inch groups or so at 100 yards for 5 shots. It took some work with loads to get to that point but it did get there. FWIW.

Yep been super busy around here. Medical, storm came through and dumped trees, one on our tractor, working on our boat this weekend. Had to seal up some transom holes and got them gel coated this afternoon.

Realizing on the trailer, the previous owner must not have washed down very well. LOTS of rollers falling apart and seems like I should replace every u bolt. Hadn't put a drain tube in in 24 years. Went well though... Gotta cut some stuff out in the morning, put in a through hull transducer and then glass stuff back in place...

Jeff

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Been there, done that on a used painted trailer on my first boat. Cancer everywhere, especially rollers and hardware. No gettin' around the replacement of parts. Now mine's a galvanized trailer which I applied cold galvanizing compound to before it ever hit the water. Looks like new after 16 years.....oh yeah....it's a bunk trailer as well...I don't miss the rollers. Didn't think I'd like them at first, now I wouldn't have any other.

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you, but it also sounds like you've got a handle on it. That kind of work takes time and is an ad for Advil waitin' to happen.

That's encouraging about the chromed lined barrel in your experience....Colt's quality anyway. I wouldn't expect less from BM, but there's never any assurances. I don't mind doing the work, but if I never realize 1/2 to 3/4 in. groups, I'll never know for sure if it's me or an issue with the chrome lined barrel itself. Suppose it could happen to a new stock Varminter barrel as well, but that would seem far fetched as I've never talked to anybody that didn't rave over the Varminters accuracy, especially from handloaders. Currently, I routinely shoot the above groups with my Varminter chrome moly barrel.....a bit centered on the fence due to all of the above.

Thanks for the info.....later.

Last edited by magnumb; 05/26/07.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hey-- long 2 days so far, things starting to look up a bit, but more work to do. Need to reglass some small seams and areas this week. still fighting a vent line that needs replacing. 8 foot long tiny arms would help....

Anyway BS that you'll never know if its you or the barrel. You can still shoot half in groups with your bolt gun right? If you can't do it with the new barrel, after load tinkering, then its the barrel. Good shooters, they know if they muff a shot. You'll know for sure!!! Never doubt yourself. I used to all the time till a coach sorted me out.... Then I sent off for a new barrel, good God those groups shrank with that new barrel!!!

Jeff

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would surely anticipate enhanced accuracy with a new barrel but have, at least a few times, read otherwise.

Think positive, think positive........

"8 foot long tiny arms would help..".....LMAO only because I know of what you speak...many times over.

Last edited by magnumb; 05/27/07.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the replies fellows. I may just go with the one I get the best deal on, RRA or Bushy.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Found me a RRA Coyote in stock, no wait. I'll post a range report inside a couple of weeks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1234, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,592
Posts18,532,460
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.