Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
My 10 year old son just signed up for 4H shooting sports and will be competing with rimfire where they shoot 10 shots prone at 50 yards, 10 shots sitting or kneeling at 50 yards, and 10 shots standing at 25 yards. I bought him a savage rascal and put a cheap scope (scopes are allowed <= 6x) on it a couple years ago to learn how to shoot and have fun. We mainly learned to shoot with it before using centerfire for hunting. Will he be able to be competitive with this rifle. I know there will be better rifles there. However he is very small and the low weight of the rascal may help him in the standing shots. I want him to be competitive, but I don't want to waste money buying another .22 if it isn't going to help him any. He is also use to shooting the rascal. Give me your thoughts and recommendations. I'm thinking of letting him use the rascal this first year and maybe upgrading next year once we know what gun to get and know how serious he is about competing.

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If the Rascal fits him I would say shoot it. Help him practice and buy him all be practice ammo he wants. Above all keep it fun for him.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lugnut,

I (well the kids... though I probably shot it the most) had a Savage Rascal and I benched it. They are as accurate as most low cost bolt-actions, eg. Savage, Marlin, (older) Remingtons, etc. As an adult, I found that the biggest limiting factors were the tiny size of the rifle and the very lightweight of the rifle (for shooting offhand).

If it fits him the size issue I had will not matter. The lightweight again depends on him, it might just be the perfect weight for him.

The trigger needed adjustment (I do not recall whether or not I just adjusted it or modified it).

The best scope for these tiny rifles is the very short and small (and of course discontinued) Simmon's... I believe it was called the Mini-Mag(?), which was a 4X. If unable to locate one of these, I would look at the Weaver 4X rimfire scope or the Leupold 4X rimfire scope. Had all three, the Weaver can be had for around $100+ new, check to see what 'Natchez Shooters Supplies' is asking for them. The Weaver is a quality scope and is made in Japan. You may be able to find the Simmons on e-bay, which is where I got my last one.

There are several rifles that might be more competitive (though they may not fit your boy), but learning the basics and practice is the most important at this stage.

Good on you for getting your boy out and shooting,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Lug,
My kid is the current NC 4h state champion for the 3 year running, he also is state champ in the jr high rodeo light rifle along with the FFA. Not bragging just adding some credibility on the equipment he uses.

Rifle-cz 455 synthetic 18" suppressor ready edition
Scope- Leupy 3x9x33 with ao sent it in had a target dot recital installed.
Ammo- Currently shooting SK Flatnose match.

I can say that little rifle will hold its on with my Anschutz and voodoo !!!!!
Ill shoot up a pm with my contact info be glad to answer any more questions.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Well the 4h team had two practices. My son actually did fairly well with the savage Rascal for his first times. Right now I see that the cheap cricket scope hinders him more than anything with the thick crosshairs. My plan is to put a better inexpensive scope on for this year. Their regional shoot is in March so not much time. Next year his younger brother will be old enough to compete. I will have to buy another rifle then and will upgrade then. Basically using rascal as starter rifle and upgrading next year.By then I will know what rifle to get him. Leaning CZ now. As of now, what are some decent inexpensive scopes that will fit a savage rascal?

IC B2

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I forgot to mention that this is cmp. He will only be doing slow fire. Kids 14 or older do slow and rapid fire. I see some of these kids with 10/22 blowing through their shots too fast and not concentrating on each shot in slow fire. My son is last to finish using single shot and still has plenty of time. Do the kids shooting bolt guns have time in rapid fire? I think they give them 5 extra seconds.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1minute, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,455 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,682
Posts18,493,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.