Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#14534069 02/03/20
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just won a Docter fixed 6x on Ebay. I bought it for a Mark V in .340 Weatherby. Is this likely to be a durable scope and good fit for the rifle? I only know a little about Docter optics.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If the scope has been well-cared for, you can expect brilliant optics and rugged, reliable performance. For my usage, I've gone primarily to Docter scopes (and the current Noblex N4 Vario, which retains the same quality and optical characteristics). I prefer them to anything else out there.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bobby,

How much does that N4 weigh? Thanks

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I haven't weighed it myself to verify, but specs claim 640 grams or about 22.5 ounces for the 2.5-10x50.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ok thanks. Looking at a N5 , really like that reticle.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I don’t think Doctor optics is still around. I think last year they were bought out by another company and there stock is/has been sold out. I have had Doctor binoculars and they were nice optically.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
If the scope has been well-cared for, you can expect brilliant optics and rugged, reliable performance. For my usage, I've gone primarily to Docter scopes (and the current Noblex N4 Vario, which retains the same quality and optical characteristics). I prefer them to anything else out there.

Thanks. The scope is in like new condition so I expect good things and I like what I'm hearing. It was not cheap!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are excellent, have had a couple now, and like a zeiss or s&b the trade-off is an extra couple ounces and modest eye relief. You’d have to google it up, but probably around 80-90mm. So, just be aware of that when shooting. Have used them on 30’06’s personally, but not more; try it and see?

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sandcritter
They are excellent, have had a couple now, and like a zeiss or s&b the trade-off is an extra couple ounces and modest eye relief. You’d have to google it up, but probably around 80-90mm. So, just be aware of that when shooting. Have used them on 30’06’s personally, but not more; try it and see?

That makes me a little nervous. Eye relief is so important on a 340 Weatherby.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Ok thanks. Looking at a N5 , really like that reticle.

I had a reply typed earlier but don't see it. Guess my brain is on vacation lol. Anyway, keep in mind that the illumination curve of the N5 is brighter at its lowest settings compared to the N4. Ditto for the N6, which is why I sold mine in favor of the N4 even though the N6 is a VERY nice scope in its own right..

The Docter Basic, Classic and Unipoint all go extremely dim, and the Noblex N4 continues that trait.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
I don’t think Doctor optics is still around. I think last year they were bought out by another company and there stock is/has been sold out. I have had Doctor binoculars and they were nice optically.

They are still around -- same plant, same employees, etc. Only the name has changed. It's now Noblex. Warranties are still honored and will continue to be. The only change is in name.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought a fixed 6x here and love it. Great optics

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

They are still around -- same plant, same employees, etc. Only the name has changed. It's now Noblex. Warranties are still honored and will continue to be. The only change is in name.

Great, I like their products.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

How did you get started on Doctor Optics?

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[quote=DryPowder
How did you get started on Doctor Optics?[/quote]

In my quest to find the best low-light optics for my usage, I have tried most of the offerings out there, including Zeiss Conquest, Conquest DL, Conquest V4, Duralyt, Diavari V, Victory, Varipoint and Victory HT scopes; S&B Klassik, Zenith, Stratos and Polar; Leica Duovid, ER5 and Eri; Kahles KX, Helia C, CL, CBX and CSX; Meopta MeoPro, R1, R1r and R2; Trijicon Accupoint and Accupower; Swarovski AV, Z3, PH/PV and Z6; Steiner Nighthunter Extreme; Burris Four X; Nikon Monarch and Monarch Gold and GPO Passion 6x...just off the top of my head (and I am sure I missed listing a few as well). On several of these, I've tried more than one model and sometimes another version of the very same scope. I've had 3 of the Zeiss V4 3-12x56/#60 as I just seem to keep coming back to it. Oh, and a friend even sent me a pair of 72mm scopes to check out: A Zeiss FL and a Hendsoldt.

I've had a couple of non-illuminated Docter scopes previously and was impressed. So trying the illuminated versions just made sense -- especially when I found closeout pricing. There is no such thing as the perfect low-light scope, but for my own personal applications, the Docter Basic, Unipoint, Classic and now the Noblex N4 Vario come the closest.

Anyway, in order to pull this off, I sold a number of my guns and shopped bargains/closeouts -- and never once paid full retail. Among some of those bargains were a new S&B Klassik 3-12x50/L3 (German-made) for $1099 and a new Victory HT 1.5-6x42/#60 for $999. Along the way, I'd sell one or two of the scopes to get more for evaluations. In many ways, it was quite the pain, and I do miss some of those guns. But I have no regrets as I would rather have just a few guns with great glass than many with mediocre optics. I can't get out and hunt and only get occasional opportunities to snipe a critter or two from near the house, so I want to make certain I make the most of each chance I do get -- and don't want to squander any opportunities due to optics that weren't up to the conditions.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,546
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.