Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Afib is nothing to mess with unless you're hoping for a stroke. I had ablation surgery 8 yrs ago and the Afib subsided until last spring. It's not unusual to have to get a "tune-up" ablation periodically. For whatever reason the March ablation didn't completely solve the rhythm problem this time so I had a follow-up ablation in December that seems to have put me back into normal rhythm. I highly recommend ablation by a good electro physiologist before going to a pacemaker (or having a stroke). All 3 ablation surgeries were done early in the morning at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh and I walked out of the hospital by 4 PM that afternoon.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My middle son had the procedure done when he was 25. He takes a pill daily and has been fine since.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by moosemike
I have Afib. The hospital nearly killed me last year trying to bring me out of it. They injected me and dropped my blood pressure to 50 over 48. I thought I was going to die. Now when I slip into afib I don't tell them.

Has your cardiologist discussed ablation with you?

No.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
I have Afib. The hospital nearly killed me last year trying to bring me out of it. They injected me and dropped my blood pressure to 50 over 48. I thought I was going to die. Now when I slip into afib I don't tell them.

What does A-fib feel like?

I get an odd PVC once a day, that feels like that first big hill on a roller coaster, lasts me about 3 seconds, then my heart skips a beat and then situation is normal.

I’ve had a couple of Holter studies but the seemingly never happen when I got the monitor on.

Your heartbeat is out of rhythm. You get tired much easier when its occuring.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Slumlord , some people feel it , others do not . I had loss of Energy , and a high Pulse . Some folks feel a thumping Heatbeat . There are also two types of Ablations . The common one is Right Atrial Ablation and I have seen various High numbers given for success . Unfortunately , that was not my case . I have had two Right Atrial Ablations and still have A-Fib . The severity at present , however , is much less than before . There are certain Nodes in the Heart Chamber which are destroyed to try to prevent A-Fib . There are at least three ways to accomplish this destruction . I seem to recall telling the Surgeon ( just before Anesthesia ) to avoid the PV1 Node ( hope my Memory is correct ) . He chuckled at that one , and off to Dreamland I went . Anyway if a Pacemaker is installed and your PV1 Node is gone .......and your Pacemaker FAILS ........ you die . My present Cardiologist says if you have A-Fib and you live long enough , you will probably go into 100% A-Fib . There is another Procedure called Left Atrial Ablation pioneered by a Professor at Pa. University in Philadelphia . When I was first told I had A-Fib , I was put on a Med. ( Amiodarone ) where you had to sign a Release . Lost some hair from that Med . That Cardiologist suggested a Left Atrial Ablation . I asked for the Pa. Professors Phone No . ....and was told some BS about contacting the Professor .... shortly thereafter I got a new Cardiologist . I found the Contact Info on the Computer , called the Professors Office and made a Consultation Appointment . Going there and meeting the Professor was an interesting story in itself . Anyway , Left Atrial Ablation is a much more dangerous Procedure( as it involves piercing the wall which separates the two Chambers ) . About one in three hundred people don't make it . This was a few years ago , so the figures today might be better . I was told to stay on Amiodarone for the time being as that Option was the safer way to go . After my second Right Atrial Ablation , I was able to get off that Med . Sorry to be so long winded , but hope this Info. helps folks afflicted by A-Fib .

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good luck Steve hope you got a good heart dr to take care of you.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It is definitely not something to ignore. Had an episode a couple years ago, got shocked back into sinus rhythm and fine ever since. On a few meds to keep things that way and I pay pretty close attention to it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had it for years before I knew what It was. For years I had a high heart rate of around 100.Was easily winded by sudden exertion such as running in to answer the phone. In 2007 my heart really jumped time. Blood pressure too low for my machine to register a reading. Pulse jumping back and forth from 40 to 170. Got shocked back into time 2 or 3 times over the next few years. Refused to use a cpap, but took medication. In 2013 went to Oklahoma City OU hospital for cardiac ablation. It took all day but it was working nicely for a while. Still wouldn't use the cpap and decided I could quit the medicine. Guess what, it came back. 2015 The ablation was tried again. Now I'm addicted to the cpap and take a medication called Multaq and one called Xarelto, both very expensive but I have good insurance. No recurrence except one minor episode when I lost 5 lbs. of sweat one day chainsawing this past August.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hastings
Had it for years before I knew what It was. For years I had a high heart rate of around 100.Was easily winded by sudden exertion such as running in to answer the phone. In 2007 my heart really jumped time. Blood pressure too low for my machine to register a reading. Pulse jumping back and forth from 40 to 170. Got shocked back into time 2 or 3 times over the next few years. Refused to use a cpap, but took medication. In 2013 went to Oklahoma City OU hospital for cardiac ablation. It took all day but it was working nicely for a while. Still wouldn't use the cpap and decided I could quit the medicine. Guess what, it came back. 2015 The ablation was tried again. Now I'm addicted to the cpap and take a medication called Multaq and one called Xarelto, both very expensive but I have good insurance. No recurrence except one minor episode when I lost 5 lbs. of sweat one day chainsawing this past August.

That last part, your electrolytes were probably way out after sweating so much.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve been in constant A-fib for at least 4 years. I asked my cardiologist what I can do. His response, if you have ever to go to the emergency room for anything and they tell you are in A-fib... tell them not to even try to deal with it because there is nothing they can do to fixit.... I reckon at this point it is what it is...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

What does A-fib feel like?

I get an odd PVC once a day, that feels like that first big hill on a roller coaster, lasts me about 3 seconds, then my heart skips a beat and then situation is normal.

I’ve had a couple of Holter studies but the seemingly never happen when I got the monitor on.

Your heartbeat is out of rhythm. You get tired much easier when its occuring.

Guess I’m GTG on a fib then. I got some other issues with mine. Some wall thickness in a couple places they brought to my attention.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I’ve been in constant A-fib for at least 4 years. I asked my cardiologist what I can do. His response, if you have ever to go to the emergency room for anything and they tell you are in A-fib... tell them not to even try to deal with it because there is nothing they can do to fixit.... I reckon at this point it is what it is...

I always show an abnormal EKG, and anyone new gets a weird about it. lol
The print out will say danger Will Robinson, abnormal, possible ischemia. I cast a neg T-wave on every read since 2015. I’m just say well ok, thanks. lol

Cardiologist I see says don’t worry about it.

Well ok. If you say so. 😐

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings

That last part, your electrolytes were probably way out after sweating so much.
Right, that's what my cardiologist said.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a little touch of A fib several years ago. Doc had to stop my heart to get it back in rhythm.
On Eliquis to control clotting in my heart chambers. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sleep apnea brought on A-fib for my father, which in turn became heart failure. It killed him. That was 1978. There was no mention ever of a cpap machine for him. He would snore loud enough to shake the house and would stop breathing for over a minute. Probably a hundred or more times a night.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

Wow.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by usull
Slumlord , some people feel it , others do not . I had loss of Energy , and a high Pulse . Some folks feel a thumping Heatbeat . There are also two types of Ablations . The common one is Right Atrial Ablation and I have seen various High numbers given for success . Unfortunately , that was not my case . I have had two Right Atrial Ablations and still have A-Fib . The severity at present , however , is much less than before . There are certain Nodes in the Heart Chamber which are destroyed to try to prevent A-Fib . There are at least three ways to accomplish this destruction . I seem to recall telling the Surgeon ( just before Anesthesia ) to avoid the PV1 Node ( hope my Memory is correct ) . He chuckled at that one , and off to Dreamland I went . Anyway if a Pacemaker is installed and your PV1 Node is gone .......and your Pacemaker FAILS ........ you die . My present Cardiologist says if you have A-Fib and you live long enough , you will probably go into 100% A-Fib . There is another Procedure called Left Atrial Ablation pioneered by a Professor at Pa. University in Philadelphia . When I was first told I had A-Fib , I was put on a Med. ( Amiodarone ) where you had to sign a Release . Lost some hair from that Med . That Cardiologist suggested a Left Atrial Ablation . I asked for the Pa. Professors Phone No . ....and was told some BS about contacting the Professor .... shortly thereafter I got a new Cardiologist . I found the Contact Info on the Computer , called the Professors Office and made a Consultation Appointment . Going there and meeting the Professor was an interesting story in itself . Anyway , Left Atrial Ablation is a much more dangerous Procedure( as it involves piercing the wall which separates the two Chambers ) . About one in three hundred people don't make it . This was a few years ago , so the figures today might be better . I was told to stay on Amiodarone for the time being as that Option was the safer way to go . After my second Right Atrial Ablation , I was able to get off that Med . Sorry to be so long winded , but hope this Info. helps folks afflicted by A-Fib .

My first ablation failed too, after a few days. The second one flew like an eagle and I have not had a single occurrence of afib since. Been checked several times.

Moosemike, good luck to you brother.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Guess we’ll see what happens on Thursday . Went in today for all the pre- op stuff , so I’m ready.one night stay they say so Friday I should be out. Interesting bunch of reply’s here.i’v been hearing all kinds of stuff from friends about a-fib to. Sounds like no sure fire cure to me.

Last edited by srwshooter; 02/03/20.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Here's hoping things go good at the Hospital.

My friend runs his own business and it has not slowed him down since he had it done.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
have had it, onetime heart rate was 178 for about 6 hrs. got light headed.

Roger, are you on meds for it now?

Good luck to you and the OP too.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (12344mag, 257Bob, 25classic, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,965
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.