O
OP Offline
O

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It all depends on how the information is presented.

There is no mention of length of time to incapacitation. Arguably the most relevant/important aspect of a defensive handgun chambering.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Much of the variance is within the margins of error.

If I had his full data set I'd do a proper analysis to determine how much of the "difference" was potentially due to chance.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The problem with all shooting statistics is they are based only on dead bodies....in other words the successes... We have no clue how many failures to stop there were.

The last three shooting I worked as an LEO were all .22s and all were incapacitated within seconds after they were hit. Two died at the scene and the other in the hospital. But for that number I've seen tons of shooting victims that checked themselves into the hospital with .22 bullets in them and went home the next day...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Define valid. They aren't valid against a determined attack bigger hoke inflict greater damage. Prepare for the worst case scenario and hope for the best

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RJM
The problem with all shooting statistics is they are based only on dead bodies....in other words the successes... We have no clue how many failures to stop there were.

The last three shooting I worked as an LEO were all .22s and all were incapacitated within seconds after they were hit. Two died at the scene and the other in the hospital. But for that number I've seen tons of shooting victims that checked themselves into the hospital with .22 bullets in them and went home the next day...

Bob

Bob,

That is a very, very good point.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

Bob,

That is a very, very good point.

Seriously!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it's an honest effort it is valid in and of itself, but any study is not the world. You would have to read other studies and not just stop at the one that says what you want to be true. Then you are building a closer model of wide reality. May as well start with this one, they could kill stuff...

https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/TLGR/tlgr.html

Last edited by 5thShock; 02/04/20. Reason: commas to dots
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have found Sunnow and Evans research on handguns and stopping power to be very interesting. Because Paladin press ceased operations at the end of 2019, the books are only available on the used book market.

https://www.amazon.com/Handgun-Stopping-Power-Definitive-Study/dp/0873646533

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Looking at just the data it shows the 40 S&W and 45 ACP still better than the 9mm. People were able to make more accurate hits with the 40 and 45 too. However there were more people shot with the 9mm than the other 2 combined.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (1_deuce, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 27 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,624
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.