Hop To
#1417028 05/06/07
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a Win.94 T/E and put a front tritium sight in, Now
need thinking about a peep,recever or tang what do ya think??
Rick

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're young and have good vision, a receiver or tang sight will give you a longer sighting plane and should increase your accuracy. If you're my age, a receiver or tang sight will enable you to actually shoot with iron sights with some expectation of hitting what you aimed at! I highly recommend them.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if it's a modern 94, get yerself an X/S peep. built like a krupp cannon barrel ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
It's a a pre 64 in mint I've got to shoot and hunt SC white tail. I'm not sure the sight you speak of.
Rick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
XS Sight Systems Ghost Ring, or, a Williams FoolProof.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A receiver. Tangs are for nostalgia. They will get hung up or bumped out of alignment in real hunting.

Their only place is target shooting where one has the time to align the eye.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Your pre-64 should be drilled and tapped for a Williams or Lyman receiver sight, so that�s the one to go with. If your gun is in mint condition, do yourself a favor and put some sort of cushion between the sight and the side of the receiver. We used to use the waxed cardboard (black) that is in a candy bar wrapper. It�s flat, thin, waxed and will do the job very well.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BAGTIC
A receiver. Tangs are for nostalgia. They will get hung up or bumped out of alignment in real hunting.

My shooting buddy, Brent, who occasionally posts here, and who has taken several species of American and African big game animals with a tang sighted Sharps, might disagree.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
B
B
Aligning the eye with a peep sight to a given accuracy takes the same amount of time regardless of where it is mounted. I also like the combination of open sight for short range, and flip up the tang sight for longer range.

The tang sight is also no closer to the eye than most scopes are.

Andy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I would have to disagree. A tang sight will work great for hunting as the use of my grandpa's Savage model 1899 in 250-3000 by my grandfather, my dad, my brother and myself for deer hunting since grandpa bought the rifle with a Marbles tang sight on it 87 years ago in 1920 is testament to a tangs durability for "real" hunting and the ability to get instant sight picture with it is fast enough for me!... Neither myself, brother or Dad has ever needed to adjust this sight EVER as far as I know since Grandpa sighted it in when he bought the rifle...It's still dead on at 100 yards!

Receiver sights are great also and I have nothing against them either... Any peep sight is a good sight for hunting...

I have loved using the Marbles peep on the little .250 so much over the years that when I picked up a Savage 99EG in .300 Savage last year I bought a "new" Marbles tang sight for it and used it last fall to shoot a smallish black bear...worked great!

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Paul39

My shooting buddy, Brent, who occasionally posts here, and who has taken several species of American and African big game animals with a tang sighted Sharps, might disagree.

Paul

Indeed, I would, yes indeed.

Such BS is usually spoken by one who has no common sense and less experience.

Elk, antelope, rabbits, eland, mule deer, warthogs, squirrels,,,,, I can't count the number of days and weeks I've spent hunting with tang sights.

Here's the end result of a 215 yds tang sight shot after a 8 days of Namibia and a fair number of head of game.

[Linked Image]
Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have four Model 94s (two .30-30s, a .25-35 and a .32 WS)and a Marlin Model 1893: three have receiver sights and two have tang sites. I switch interchangeably between them (and between my scope sighted rifles) without any troubles. The tang sights have proven to be just as durable and reliable as the receiver sights (but I don't hunt in really thick stuff like you find in the southeast or the Pacific Northwest). I`find`it easier to sight in the tang sighted rifles and I think that the longer sight plane is a benefit for me.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would go with a Williams receiver sight as the gun is d&t for one.

Tang sights work but they are easy to knock out of zero, and I have seen them stick a hunter int he eye on a steep uphill shot. fortunatly it was not too serious.

Be sure and take the disk out for hunting.

B
B
There are a lot of scope bites from uphill shots too. My tang sight is not any closer than the scopes on my rifles.

Andy

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I agree with Mudhen, it makes little or no difference. Just because your rifle is already drilled and tapped for the receiver sight that is the one I would use. I have several tangs and three receivers sighted guns and see no material difference in reliability.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
....I was fortunate enough to find a in the box NEW old stock Marbles #R8 'tang' sight for a Remington model 14/141 pump gun. I have a near new condition model 141 in .35 caliber that i've used only on a boar hunt with it's factory sight. I've never wanted to cop out on the beautiful period aura of the fine old pump gun,and have kept my eye peeled for years now for the peep sight. Finaly found one ! Cost me $75 bucks,and a real deal I figure. It comes complete with interchangable peep inserts (target and hunting aperture),mounting screws,the works in a like new box!

.....I guess you fellows can see how pleased I am in finding it,by my praise of it. A fellow could have aged himself out of the hunting field before such a find. Now that old gun will be a SUPER HOG killer!I'll take it out after whitetail too. It's as fun and rewarding to carry as my Savage 99. Now that I'm a 'vintage' old hunter,the vintage guns of days gone by are the more fun to carry!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yup, $75 is a good deal. Congratulations.

I use a hacked old Marbles for a Rem 14 on my underhammer muzzleloader. It was a sadly abused sight, but it has new life now as a 200 yd sight for my deer rifle.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I like the Williams fool proof, that way nobody is tinkering with my zero and that is real important. I like a good 3/32 ivory bead or a NECG gold face partridge post sight. I also like a good shallow V with the post flush, its as fast and accurate as the receiver/peep, as its the same principle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1beaver_shooter, 257Ackley, 22magnut, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 55 invisible), 2,940 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,603
Posts18,532,605
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.