Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
If you have a freezer.....it makes no sense to buy beef from a grocery store.

True, and even though I raise beef cattle, it's a chore for me to want to keep a steer and feed it for a year in order to kill my own. We just prefer to buy us a hind quarter and put it in the freezer.
you ever dealt with Livingston’s ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord

True, and even though I raise beef cattle, it's a chore for me to want to keep a steer and feed it for a year in order to kill my own. We just prefer to buy us a hind quarter and put it in the freezer.

Yes, but it was a long time ago. I buy from Hampton's.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jeeze! I just go to a grocery store I know that has good beef and when they have a sale on beef I ask the butcher to get me a whole beef top round. I get a better price buying chunk that big and I get decent beef and after I take it home and cut it myself I wind up with the really tasty top round steaks I by it for plus I make a little stew meat out of the less tender parts and I make a little burger out of those parts as well. I almost never make roasts, but were I of a mind to, that'd be where I'd start. A roast out of the top round is always really good on the grill.

I have never seen the price of a whole round more than the price of cut & packaged chuck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had good luck with blade roasts lately.

my favorite is to cook them on low in a crock pot all day with Au Jus and Stew sauce packets, throw in some italian blend vegetables and a little flour to thicken the water up to gravy. Sometimes I season the meat and brown it in butter before I put it in crock pot.

seems to be the right mix that the entire family enjoys.

Last edited by KFWA; 02/04/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll just watch this.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by slumlord

Yrs I raise longhorns, higher in protein and lower in fat and cholesterol than white meat chicken
Very good

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the shoulder roast.Sometimes called a shoulder arm or shoulder round.Several tender muscles are in this cut and comes from below the chuck cut.I like to brown the roast with a little olive oil on each side,then add water about half way up the thickness of the meat and cook it in the oven lid on at 375-400 degrees for around 3-4hrs.Keep an eye on the liquid occasionally and add as needed.About the last hour of cooking add potatoes and carrots on top the roast if you so choose.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Supermarket beef is hit or miss around here regardless of how its graded.

The wife thinks grass fed and reduced fat is the way to go. Most of the women who live around here feel the same way.

Supermarkets are in business to sell middle aged women what they want. Not what their husbands want.

Got a small butcher in town who sells good meat at outrageous prices. Most of his customers are men.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I like the shoulder roast.Sometimes called a shoulder arm or shoulder round.Several tender muscles are in this cut and comes from below the chuck cut.I like to brown the roast with a little olive oil on each side,then add water about half way up the thickness of the meat and cook it in the oven lid on at 375-400 degrees for around 3-4hrs.Keep an eye on the liquid occasionally and add as needed.About the last hour of cooking add potatoes and carrots on top the roast if you so choose.

Does the middle come out maroon-pink that way, please?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
No.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
The process of eating has pretty much become "chew each bite as much as you can, then spit out the sinew and move on to the next bite".

Learn to braise (it's simple). The basics:

- Brown the roast. Use anything from a frying pan to a propane torch, but cast iron is your friend. If you can rig up something in the garage you won't smoke up the house.
- Place the roast in a covered pot along with an inch or so of water.
- Bake at 325-350 for 3-4 hours until fork tender. That means when you stick the roast with a dinner fork and twist the meat tears. If the meat springs back it needs more time.
- Check the pot every hour or so and add water as needed, more often if you have a crappy pot. Do not let the pot dry out.
- When done, separate the drippings from the fat. Use a separator or spoon off the fat.
- Slice the roast against the grain - 1/4" pieces or so. Orient the meat to ensure against the grain even if it means smaller pieces.
- Pour the drippings over the meat.

The critical elements are not letting the pot dry out and learning what "fork tender" is.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Our roasts are good, but we raise prime beef.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by baldhunter

Does the middle come out maroon-pink that way, please?

Buy a better cut. Braising is for chuck, sirloin tip, round roasts, etc.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I my part of the country Polled Hereford is King, Black Angus is second. Feed Lot only.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Yes I raise longhorns, higher in protein and lower in fat and cholesterol than white meat chickenVery good
I have a good friend that is the representative for Superior Livestock and handles thousands of cattle a year. He once told me that you can raise almost cholesterol free beef but that you can't eat it. I have a few Longhorn, Brahman, Hereford cross cows that are thrifty cows and raise good calves when bred to a Charolais or Hereford. The buyers apparently can't detect the Longhorn.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Two things that work well as a tenderizer for us because we eat grass fed beef which tends to be tough:
1. lime juice marinade
2. cooking wine marinade

The astringents help to break down the meat. The best is to marinade 12 hours before cooking but even done just with the cooking will help.

We slightly prefer lime juice because it does not seem to flavor the meat at all. Then use a slow cooker/crock pot with water in the bottom. First hour at high heat (350-400) to break down the collagen and some gristle and then low heat (250 +/-) for the balance of the cooking.

Last edited by Thunderstick; 02/04/20.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Agreed... We buy a beef quarter from a small-town butcher shop every year... Good stuff that.. Also get a half pig every April when they have a sale..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by jwp475
Yes I raise longhorns, higher in protein and lower in fat and cholesterol than white meat chickenVery good
I have a good friend that is the representative for Superior Livestock and handles thousands of cattle a year. He once told me that you can raise almost cholesterol free beef but that you can't eat it. I have a few Longhorn, Brahman, Hereford cross cows that are thrifty cows and raise good calves when bred to a Charolais or Hereford. The buyers apparently can't detect the Longhorn.

Charolais crossed with longhorn look like charolais

Longhirn meat isn't cholesterol free but it is lower in cholesterol than white meat chicken

Longhorn beef being low in fat needs to be cooked on a lower temperature and for less time or it gets overcooked and that makes it tough to eat

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've always been leery of buying a quarter (or more) for fear that the whole thing will be tough.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Hastings
I have a good friend that is the representative for Superior Livestock and handles thousands of cattle a year. He once told me that you can raise almost cholesterol free beef but that you can't eat it.

I was once standing at the meat counter of an upscale supermarket and the woman ahead of me asked the guy behind the counter: "What's the difference between the grass-fed prime rib and the regular prime rib?" (The grass-fed was maybe $2 more a pound.)

The guy said with a straight face: "The grass-fed doesn't taste as good." The woman walked away without buying anything.

I said: "Thank you for telling her that." He shrugged. He didn't seem to care if he kept his job or not.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,087
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.