Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JAC43 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
My electronic subscription for these mags was great, download the pdf and it was just like reading the magazine on my tablet. It appears to have changed to a new website only type deal? Anyone know how to get the pdf version? I don’t always have internet and that was the beauty of the old version.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You should be able to download it as before. I wonder when changing to the new look some things were slow to get picked up. Might be worth a call to Wolfe Pub.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I called them, I was told that the download feature had been deleted due to "security" reasons.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I send money, with a check.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had the same complaint and called about it. While you can't download the whole issue like before, if you like a particular article (since you just open individual articles now in the new process), you simply select "print", and then choose "Print to PDF" and save the article that way to your computer. The (maybe) good news is you don't see the ads, but I like the ads. I'm really surprised the advertisers don't complain about that...
Cheers,
Rex

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by deltakid
When I called them, I was told that the download feature had been deleted due to "security" reasons.

They told me the same. figured it was operator error on my part so called customer service to double check how to download it, it's online only now.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I suppose that's the way of the world now. It would be alright if you could recall the issues you bought, even if you were no longer a subscriber. Like amazon.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are they going to be permanently available online or are they going to try to force us to buy the CD version as well?

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the problems with publishing PDF's is indeed "security," meaning the same PDF can be shared among several users--while only one pays for it. And yes, strange as it may seem in these days of "free" info on the Internet, magazine companies (and other publishers) are in business to make money, just like most Americans.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know they are in business to make money, but how long are the issues available to us to go back and look through? I have a feeling that the only way to get an issue from the past is to buy the CD, like Mike said. In my mind, that means I am paying twice for the same thing.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John

I agree but I can go to the magazine rack and read it for free or purchase a copy and share with a boatload of people.

I don't mind paying a fair price, but like a printed version It becomes mine once I buy it.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deltakid
I know they are in business to make money, but how long are the issues available to us to go back and look through? I have a feeling that the only way to get an issue from the past is to buy the CD, like Mike said. In my mind, that means I am paying twice for the same thing.

That's because you are.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ll see how the new format works for me, but I doubt that I’ll renew my online subscription. Cheesy to change the terms of a subscription that I already paid in advance for. I may cancel for that reason alone. I’ve never shared a pdf version either. I figured if friends wanted the magazines, they could buy them just like I did.#@$&%

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hate the new site, and it isn’t just because I don’t like change. I hate the new format. I just re subscribed last weekend thinking I was doing something wrong. I can still save the articles, print them and share them all I want. And before we could view the previous issue until the next one came out. No more.

They lost me over it. I’m going to call and cancel and get my $ back.

Todd

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not renewing mine. CF at best.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't like the new format either, as I posted before, but two things I did notice in the new format...
1) Thought I only subscribed online in 2019, I can view issues all the way back to 2017. I don't know if this is when they started archiving in this format, and those will remain available forever, or if they are going to maintain a "running" 4-year lookback on the site. Either way I am getting something I did not originally pay for.
2) In addition to the three mags I paid for when I signed up a few months back (Rifle, Handloader, Successful, Hunter) I now also get Blackpowder Cartridge and Upland Almanac.

So it ain't all bad, though I think Id still rather have it the way I bought it..,
Cheers,
Rex

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
TRex,

Interesting.

Eileen and I only sell on-line subscriptions to our "magazine," RIFLE LOONY NEWS, though we've also published two paperback 5-year collections. Our subscription base has never been large, I suspect because subscribers "share" it with other rifle loonies. But we don't really care, since we publish it primarily to interest shooters in our other books. Which is why it's only $10 a year--and subscribers also get access to every issue, going back more than a decade now.

But our publishing "strategy" (if it can be called that!) is very different than a larger company like Wolfe.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Which reminds me John, I need to re-subscribe to your fine efforts there. As for Wolf, they seem to be a giant clown show many of us put up with because they have some fine writers. Despite this my patience is wearing thin with them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TRexF16
I don't like the new format either, as I posted before, but two things I did notice in the new format...
1) Thought I only subscribed online in 2019, I can view issues all the way back to 2017. I don't know if this is when they started archiving in this format, and those will remain available forever, or if they are going to maintain a "running" 4-year lookback on the site. Either way I am getting something I did not originally pay for.
2) In addition to the three mags I paid for when I signed up a few months back (Rifle, Handloader, Successful, Hunter) I now also get Blackpowder Cartridge and Upland Almanac.

So it ain't all bad, though I think Id still rather have it the way I bought it..,
Cheers,
Rex

I did not know you could do this or go back to past issues. I will try to figure that out (I’m pretty tech savvy but I’m having a hard time navigating, especially on my phone.). If that is the case, perhaps I can get used to the new way as I do think that is a good value for the $...

John,

I’ll get subscribed to you pretty soon. I really enjoy your articles.

Todd

J
JAC43 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
My issue with Wolfe was how they auto renewed my subscription then offered up a different format without disclosing it. The PDFs were great, I hope they reconsider their decision.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

215 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 29aholic, 29 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,197
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.