-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With great calm you need to explain it is legal to discharge firearms.

They might already know that it's legal to discharge firearms, and just don't like the fact, so they'll complain anyway. (or maybe they're just completely ignorant regarding the area they moved into..)

I of course don't know what your neighborhood is like, but I've heard that putting together a neighborhood bbq can do alot to ease tension. Can be anything from a front yard potluck that the whole street is invited to, or go as big as to work with the city to get the street closed and invite local cops and firemen to put on demonstrations and get to know the neighborhood.
Guess that might be a bit extravegant if all you want is to be left alone to shoot in peace.. But unless you have plans to move soon, might as well make things as pleasant as possible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 6mm250
I have never lived under the control of a homeowners association,I don't require that much supervision.

Mike

Mike,
Little did I know what I was in for and I was gone 250 days a year at the time but I'm brighter now!

Allen

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought 8 acres in Brazoria County last year. The existing structures had a lot of spray paint graffiti. I checked my distances to other inhabited dwellings.
I routinely empty a mag in the dirt in the center of my property.
I shoot between 8am and 10pm.
Deputies showed up the first time. I showed them where I shot, explained why. They got a kick out of it.
I painted the buildings.
Funny thing, no new graffiti.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really ...REALLY wish we didnt have to deal the with HO police. But unfortunately, unless we go to an apartment complex or a trailor park, we have to live with it. Not a neighborhood in the whole city that dont have the HO police. You can look at the new home guides and the realty guides in our area and see the HO fees. SOme are amazingly high! I cant imagine what gets paid with all that money! I mean, our hood has about 40-50 homes. Dues are bout 500 smacks per year. Thats A LOT OF MOOLAH! I guess the pretty brick sign at the entance of the hood and all the landscaping at the entrance costs money to maintain, but not that much!!! Does that sound insanely high to anyone else??? I mean, we live in a good part of town, nothing special...... it aint nowhere near Beverly Hills!

"Courage is Fear holding on a minute longer."
-Gen. Patton
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It sounds like they are just building up a bankroll. I would suggest you try to get on the HO association board. Generally they are LOOKING for people because so many burn out being on one. I would also ask for the annual report which should show where the money goes. If not, they are operating illegally.

IC B2

The new neighbors in NC sound like a lot of the new neighbors in my county.

Got an NRA alert that they were going to ban firearms discharge or some such thing in my county, but our supivisors have tabled the ordinance for the moment.

Dang it, if you don't want to live in the country, why to you move to the country?

Meanwhile, as far as I can tell the closest place shoot that is open to the public (or taking new members) is more than 45 minutes away in just about any direction - probably in part because you can shoot on your own land , for now..

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 280sRN
I really ...REALLY wish we didnt have to deal the with HO police. But unfortunately, unless we go to an apartment complex or a trailor park, we have to live with it. Not a neighborhood in the whole city that dont have the HO police. You can look at the new home guides and the realty guides in our area and see the HO fees. SOme are amazingly high! I cant imagine what gets paid with all that money! I mean, our hood has about 40-50 homes. Dues are bout 500 smacks per year. Thats A LOT OF MOOLAH! I guess the pretty brick sign at the entance of the hood and all the landscaping at the entrance costs money to maintain, but not that much!!! Does that sound insanely high to anyone else??? I mean, we live in a good part of town, nothing special...... it aint nowhere near Beverly Hills!

i would imagine the effort is to protect property values, and the homeowners investments against the riff-raff that might infiltrate?

gated cities are more defensible than cities without gates?

it certainly hurts my pride to think that HO assoc. rules are required. i'm like many hunters & fishermen on here, individualism means a lot. but then, we do have mortgages, and we have to pay taxes, and we have social status to uphold, or try to.

no good answer, i belive real estate agents will say it helps protect property values. i feel like my property has been devalued by a lot of the rules. but, in the case of an invasion of sorts, the rules might provide a barrier of limited effectiveness to a complete overwhelming of local economic ecology.

again, if your neighbors are all mad at you for a particular action, you might be unwelcome. on the other hand, if you shoot and otherwise enjoy life and noone says a word, then they might accept you as one of them?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gus

i would imagine the effort is to protect property values, and the homeowners investments against the riff-raff that might infiltrate?

gated cities are more defensible than cities without gates?

it certainly hurts my pride to think that HO assoc. rules are required. i'm like many hunters & fishermen on here, individualism means a lot. but then, we do have mortgages, and we have to pay taxes, and we have social status to uphold, or try to.

no good answer, i belive real estate agents will say it helps protect property values. i feel like my property has been devalued by a lot of the rules. but, in the case of an invasion of sorts, the rules might provide a barrier of limited effectiveness to a complete overwhelming of local economic ecology.

again, if your neighbors are all mad at you for a particular action, you might be unwelcome. on the other hand, if you shoot and otherwise enjoy life and noone says a word, then they might accept you as one of them?

Agreed, I am all about protecting my investment. Its the invasion of personal choices......like what you can and cant plant in your flower bed...or worse yet, having to ask permission to plant ANYTHING. No riff raff here. And I am appreicative of that. No individualism either frown

"Courage is Fear holding on a minute longer."
-Gen. Patton
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd try to be civil at first. If that didn't work, I'd light it up. A rich city turd moved into the township my brother lives in and the first he did was to try and ban hunting.

This is a farming community and when this city prick saw orange, he went mad. If I recall, he was told to go blow. It's only a matter of time before more of his ilk show up.

Mac

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
yeppers, for the first time in recorded history, we have more people living in the cities, than we do in the countryside. the balance has shifted.

how to deal "in the interface" between the city folks, and their culture, and the country folks and their culture, has become job one.

talking certainly can't hurt, nor can being civil, as has been mentioned.

shooting all day and all night is one thing, just during particular times during the day is yet another. if someone works the night shift and is awakened during the day, maybe folks can rearrange their target practice schedule? flexibility might be valuable, at this late date?

the power of the vote is with us. just ask the poultry or hog farmers in rapidly urbanizing areas. they'll share with you about their rights on the one hand, and the ability of a majority to pass laws on the other hand.

until population growth slows down, and folks recognize that the land is the source of our very sustenance, the debates will likely rage.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HM I feel your pain. I used to live in Western NC (born there) and for whatever reason the froot-loops seem to be drawn there (the bad ones, not the locals grin). My father was the pastor of a Baptist Church there and we once got the same call made on us for me, my father, two brothers, and some friends shooting our BOWS! We had a cookout and told everyone to bring their bows as we were in city limits and the guns were out of the question. Some fruitcake drove by and thought this looked dangerous as we were within about 50 yards of the road and shooting parallel to it. The cop that showed up was a member of the church and thought it was just funny enough to show up. I bet the caller would've been hacked to know that the cop that showed up stayed for a burger (a venison one at that!). I have since moved to VA and although we have our share of non-thinking imports things are a little more laid back here. I have all of the guys from the fire station over once a summer for a cookout and fun shoot. The guys shoot a while as the wives and girlfriends hang out with the kids and then the gals get their turn. Last year we burned through 15,000 rounds in about five hours. Fortunately the only complaint I've ever gotten was from a neighbor who wondered why he didn't get invited.

As for your problem I don't know that there is an easy answer. Do it enough that the cops get tired of showing up and they may not when you really do need them. Do it all hours of the day and night and the neighbors may get enough support to get their way. Give up and quit (yeah right grin grin) and they win. Hire some guys to...... well, we'll not go there. I wish you the best and hope that they will either see the light or move on! Good luck.

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HeavyMetal, I have two words for you <the same ones you suggested to me when I had that little run in with the new neighbors> HOG FARM wink

Please don't feed the trolls!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
They live .75 of a mile from me,to far for smell.....

my dream job.....life guard of the gene pool!!!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They're complaining about a 12 ga and they're 3/4 mile away?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I will do visual,I will put a replica of Stone Hinge but not stone,I will use 1972 puple Cadillacs.......sell tickets to Caddy Hinge.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by skullmonkey

Go Figure......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Id rather be pick chit with the chickens under a bridge with my sleeping bag and one dog than EVER let someone tell me what I can and can't do with my OWN home...on my OWN property. Those homeowner association houses, where you can't even have a basketball hoop up(that can't be put away in your garage...when not being 'used')...has to be THE most FUGGIN CRAZY messed up reality EVER.

I question what kind of person would subject themselves to that kind of brain washing horse chit.

Best of luck, HM! That would bite.

HoundGirl

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal
Originally Posted by skullmonkey

Go Figure......

If you're anywhere near Asheville let me know. I'm coming down to visit with the family next month and I'll stop by with my two .50's. They'll be glad to have you back with the shotgun!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good Lord crossfire....where did you get that thing???

Some years back, I had way to big a lathe, and way to much beer in the fridge ( no, that ain;t right...I had ENOUGH beer ), and enough spare time to build more than a few of these toys for big boys.

All steel, well built, and pretty accurate, to boot.

I don't like artillery......I LOVE IT !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I moved in the country, and have had trouble with a subdivision about 1/2 mile away. I shoot G'hogs. Local state trooper was member of Homeowners ASSociation. After I killed a few, he drove up to my house and told me if he heard another shot he was going to handcuff me, take me to jail, confiscate my Gun, & arrest me for wanton endangerment.
Why? Ricochets (sp). I told him I was shooting in the other direction. He told me "What I write on the police report is what counts - and you were shooting such that the richocet could hurt some child in our SD" - And "I would be the one paying a lawyer to defend myself". Local cops told me to beware, State Police had jurisdiction. I did write a letter to his commander. Never heard a thing.

Red Baron
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 907brass, 300_savage, akpls, 10 invisible), 1,345 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,932
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.