Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TX35W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Cleaning up the safe. No matter how much I hit them with corrosion-x, the blued guns I hunt with a lot end up with some rust patches every year.

Thinking on having a few barreled actions black nitrided. I've owned plenty of black nitrided AR barrels (and Glocks obis) but has anyone send a barreled action off to be done? Where to?

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That’s wierd, do you have a golden rod, and descant in there with them?

Once you have rust you really have to neutralize it or it will come back

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just did a full 458 win mag that will be exposed to salt environment. Took it to a plating place in Chappel Hill TX to get it done.

Can't report until I've guided a few hunts around the salt though, but SS tends to deal with that kind of ok so I suspect the salt bath will do as well or better.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mine was done through SAC as part of the build. Not sure who they use, but whoever it is will be good:

https://www.shortactioncustoms.com/melonite-treatment-on-barrels/

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This rifle is nitrided. The receiver is SS steel and the barrel is CM steel. The other metal (ie bottom metal) is CM steel. Got snow/rained on in Idaho and no rust issues at all.

In Wyoming:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In Idaho:

In Utah:

Shoots well, this is a 5-shot group. This is about as well as I ever shoot, the rifle is probably capable of better but I'm not! And looks like I air mailed a flyer at the top. Group was still less than 1 inch for 5 shots, plenty good for me. It's 160-grain Accubonds.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Looks great Joel.

Based on my experience, I would much rather have a rifle nitrided than cerakoted.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Looks great Joel.

Based on my experience, I would much rather have a rifle nitrided than cerakoted.

Thanks!

I agree. I have one rifle that’s cerakoted and it got scratched on it’s first hunting trip in the mountains. Not super impressed.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Ain't no scratching the nitride. Even with a file smile

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice rifle.

Yup.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
So what does it cost to have a barreled action done?

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had a Jarrett rifle nitrided (they had it done for me during the build) . My gosh....that was one tough finish. Toughest I’ve ever seen.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by handwerk
So what does it cost to have a barreled action done?

My invoice for the above rifle says $450 for the nitriding, but I'm not sure that's the cost of just the nitriding. H&M Blacknitride did the above.

What I mean by I'm not sure if that's the cost is there's more work to nitride to do it right. You should shoot the rifle a bit to get it shooting/make sure it's doing what you want it to do (because after the nitride the barrel won't break in). Then clean, then you have to take everything apart, even the firing pin out, barrel off the receiver, etc. Otherwise there's a risk that salt water will get trapped in the threads and leach out over time. Then there's the shipping cost, return shipping, reassembly, re-firing to make sure the barrel is still doing what you want (not that you could do anything about it then). So my invoice probably reflects cost for the entire process.

I know there's a long debate about barrel break-in and I normally just shoot a barrel and clean it occasionally but if my gunsmith (Kevin Weaver for that one) recommends to do it that way I'm not going to argue with him.

Cerakote, bluing, Black T are much simpler. For the cost of a custom I like the nitride because of how tough it is.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I’ve got a Weatherby custom shop outfitter that has titanium nitrate that’s like a woodpeckers beak, good stuff the paint on the stock is wearing off but all the metal look 100% new. No idea who they used but might be worth a call.

T
TX35W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Alright based on everyone's feedback I just called H&M. They said you can just send them a barreled action but if you include the bolt, as mentioned, everything has to be taken apart, firing pin out etc. Even iron sights have to be removed from the barrel. They said they drop it in a heated ultrasonic cleaner after the nitride treatment to get all the salt gunk out so they claim there is no need to unscrew the barrel from the action (though I can see if you were doing a custom build, you might want to). They said it was $100 for a barreled action, which seems very cheap and makes me think I misheard them. Spoke to a guy named Bear.

I am going to send them my 20" Whelen and see what comes of it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H&M does a great job.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow. That is cheap.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of questions.
Do they nitride the inside of the barrel as well when they do a barreled action?

Second question is for those who have had it done on a barreled action, did it affect the accuracy you had prior to having the nitriding done?

Lastly, I’m considering doing this to a light barreled Kimber rifle, and was wondering if the heat and temperature used in this method would change the tempered properties of the steel and induce or exaggerate stress in the barrel causing accuracy/wandering issues?

I’d like to have it done on a rifle to make it weatherproof, but would rather not have them take the barrel off the action when doing this, and don’t want to kill the accuracy on a now very accurate rifle.

Thanks.

Last edited by Capt_Craig; 02/05/20.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I emailed and asked about a barreled action with a disassembled bolt and this was the response

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
T
TX35W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Before I send a Kreiger barreled 270 off (that shoots in the .2's)...anyone have a before/after accuracy report?

I'm sending a 35W as a test case, but it doesn't get shot much past 300 yards.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had my first done about 18yrs ago. It was a Krieger. Best BR barrel that I ever owned. On a regular BR barrel I will set them back about a 1/4" every 1000 rounds or rep[lace it. My Krieger had 5000 rounds on it and it was still strong. It disappeared, but that is a long story. Joel Kendrick, a friend and very good long range shooter, worked for a company in North Carolina that did air struts for car hoods and other apps. Joel was the engineer there and they were melonite treating the shafts. He started doing his own personal barrels and did a few for me. Yes it does the bore. It is a type of case hardening and is approx. .003" deep and is about 60RC. Joel was hired by Parker-Trutek in Paragould, Arkansas. He led them into the barrel business and they are doing 1000s of military barrels now. We had a few done, but they got so busy with the military work and quit taking one at a time. Another friend of mine has my very few done for me when he sends a lot to be treated. Tons of AR barrels are being done for protection from rough weather and handling than for other reasons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338Rules, 6 invisible), 1,519 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,450
Posts18,507,945
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.