Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I bought a Savage LWH (lightweight hunter) in .308 for elk hunting.

the factory stock that came with it is the normal flimsy plastic stock.

it groups fine, so the flimsy plastic stock really doesnt seem to impact accuracy.

however, I just think those stocks are ugly.

I'm thinking about buying a drop in Boyds laminate stock.

does anyone here have feedback on Boyds stocks?

I know the Boyds laminate stock would be heavier than the factory stock, and thats a pretty big deal since this is a lightweight elk/mountain rifle.

Still I'm open to feedback on what to expect since I've never changed stocks.

thanks in advance.

shane

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Overall, they're pretty good.. Usually some very minor inletting might be needed to get everything in place right, but again - it's gonna be minimal..

In my own experience, I very recently had obtained an Ithaca M37 (OLD one) that had a crappy and broken buttstock.. I ordered a replacement from Boyds and all that was needed was a slightly deeper drilling for the action extension where the stock bolt threads into.. The whole thing took about 15 minutes. A walnut buttstock for about $70 is a ton cheaper than the replacements offered on other sites for anywhere from $150-$250...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It wouldn't be so much that it weighs more, but that it will weigh considerably more in the ass end.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
It wouldn't be so much that it weighs more, but that it will weigh considerably more in the ass end.

This and it will be chunkier than needed. I find the inletting is usually generous but nit always straight. I was talking to a friend last night and his had the bottom metal inletting and receiver and barrel inletting offset so that the two wouldn't align.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Their customer service is non existent!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like Boyd's stocks, but then I have large hands.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have had no issues with their stocks. I have owned 3, including one for a Savage. They fit well and look nice. Big improvement over factory Savage stock, but as was mentioned its heavier too. A non issue for me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In a word, they suck! Oh, that's two words.

J
J
I picked one up last year for a model 70 the inletting was excellent very even gap in the barrel channel it did add some weight though. If I was to do it again I think I would order it with some kind of checkering because as it sits now it’s a little on the slick side

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So, to sum up, one can expect goodness , or fairness, or crap from Boyd's. Depends on one's definition of "ok", or perhaps one's expectations, or whether the machine operator at Boyd's was hungover or had knocked one off the night before as to whether or not one got a satisfactory product. Kind of like most every thing else in this man's world. Ya pay's yer money and ya takes yer chances.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They're heavy and usually require come finish work, especially if you're anal about everything looking perfect. They do offer a lot of options, and in my eyes they're a lot nicer looking than the junk synthetic stocks that are on the majority of today's rifles.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Read the ENTIRE description VERY CAREFULLY. I got stuck when i ordered some fully shaped outside but not inletted stocks. I received short stocks with no foreend at all. Thats the last time i will do business with them.
Mel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've ordered from Boyd's a couple of times. The first time was for a sporterized 98 Mauser, but they seemed to be unable to ship it. IIRC the website indicated they had them in stock and ready to go. After about three weeks of waiting and two or three phone calls I just told them to cancel the order. Years later I ordered a custom stock for a 788. The stock arrived in a timely manner, looked good, and the inletting was perfect. No bedding was necessary and the rifle shot every bit as good as it had with the OEM stock after epoxy bedding.

My guess is that inletting quality may vary according to the action the stock is to be inletted to...but I don't plan on buying enough to test that theory.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve had several Boyd’s stocks, currently own one. They are a step down from the high end composite stocks like Mc Milan. However, they cost less than half and delivery is usually pretty fast.
I think they are a good functional stock, and worth their cost.

NRA Patron
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I ordered one once and the inletting was off by way too much.
Sent it back.
and yes, their customer service sucks too

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks for the feedback. sounds like a crap shoot.

I guess for the money <$200, it's a limited-risk gamble.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have two. One for my Whelen Ruger 77 it’s a thumb hole fists great, drop in. Then I ordered a unfinished walnut one for my dads old marlin 81. I like it too.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got one for and old O3A3 Springfield had had Jess bore out to a 338-06 and gave it to a grandson. The stock is a bigger and thicker piece of wood then I like. Fortunately I have wood working tools and the rifle won't be checkered. So I am going to thin the forearm and shorten it and pull the recoil pad and drill a couple of holes in the stock. The inletting seems ok.

The one I have is no thing of beauty, but it appears stout and well made. I doubt I would order another one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like them and have had good luck with them. No issues with the 3 i have now (2 savages and 1 tikka). Dropped right in and bolted up.

About to order another for a Remington 700.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm currently in a situation with Boyds.

I ordered an AT-One stock form Boyd's in the first week of January. In the last week of January, I got an email from them stating that they had lost the order.

Hello,
We appreciate the recent order that was placed with us. Due to unexpected technical difficulties updating our system, we just now discovered your order did not pull completely into our system, please allow me to apologize for this inconvenience.

The pending pre authorization that was on the card has fallen off and you have not been charged. We do not charge for an order until it ships.

If you would like to place a new order, you can do this online or with our Sales Team at 605-996-5011

Sincerely

I called the number. Sales picked up and brusquely told me I had to all Customer Service. I was put on hold for 5 minutes and then it dumped to voicemail. I sent them an email that didn't get returned right away. I finally called back and got through to an operator.

She had my order (?) she just needed to reauthorize my credit card. I got free express shipping out of the deal. It finally showed up about 2/7

The stock itself is near-perfect. The one exception is that I'm having trouble with an aftermarket magazine, and getting the magazine to fit. I wrote customer service on Monday and have not heard from them. My guess is that I'm going to be on my own on this.

My overall impression is that they're drowning in their own success.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,660
Posts18,512,866
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.