Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
If ya'll know me you know I lost a bunch of weight and enjoy cycling now. I'm trying to set up an ultralight kit to take on my touring bike. I need to get a full camping set up on a shoestring budget.I need stuff that will travel Alabama to Colorado on a bicycle in the spring-summer. I'll be searching for used stuff mostly. What are the brands I should be looking at. For example,I know Ozark Trail is Walmart junk but I'm not sure between North Face and Big Agnes,which would be considered the better brand.

If ya'll could list a few top brands to look for in a tent,and sleeping bag-pad, I would appreciate it. Any suggestions on rain gear would be welcome.

If any of ya'll have any top notch stuff you could sell cheap or possibly trade with,please PM me.

I'll post a WTB at some point in the classifieds.

Thanks guys.

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
For biking where weight is so key I would look at henry shires tarp tents ( and their competition). I have a Protrail and a Aeon li I use for backpacking. Its a bug proof, shelter that's easy to pitch and under a pound. there are a couple of competitors that make similar tents.

I might part with the protrail if your interested.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I honestly don't know what would be best right now. I need light weight which is why I posted here asking you guys. I would like something that could stand up to unexpected conditions of more cold or higher winds. I don't plan on winter camping in blizzard conditions but I need to be prepared if I am in higher elevations and get caught out unexpectedly.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Six Moon Designs has some relatively inexpensive lightweight shelters that would likely fit the bill. Not as high end as TarpTent, but very good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

In lieu of a light weight tent, Bivi sack, inflatable pad. DuckDuckGo them.

Light weight raingear (plenty of brands previously noted) or go ECWCS Gen II...heavier, but very durable.

MSR Universal stove or equivalent or one of the smaller stoves.

Tick/insect proof clothing and repellents. Mesh headnet.

TG shemagh. Wide brim boonie or equivalent.

Handgun.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Big Agnes makes some very light and compact tent shelters. They get the nod over North Face for that. REI is a good spot to visit to see the difference between sleeping pads. There are several good brands.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks guys.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
a few suggestions from someone who dabbles in ultralight gear smile

for cycling you want light, but you also want low volume

some worth looking at stuff: for a shelter 6 Moon has the Deschutes Plus that weighs in at a svelte 16 oz and packs small (I run their Gatewood Cape which is similar in size), for a pad you won't do lighter and more compact than Thermarest's Uberlite pad- I've found it good down to right around freezing, Enlightened Equipment has several options for lightweight quilts- a 40 degree down quilt weighs a scant 14 oz (and packs extremely small)

sent you a pm and good luck with your project!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I would forget the tent and go this route.

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocks/

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

R
rdd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Big Agnes makes really good tents. For sleeping pads I like the Sea to Summit and for sleeping bags its hard to beat a Western Mountaineering down sleeping bag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Eureka Spitfire 1, Klymit Pad, Kymit Pillow and 20degree Down bag (Altos) from Teton. I leave everything in the tent and roll it all up and put it in a compression stuff sack. Weighs right at 8# and stuff size is about 22"x8" diameter. I have about $250 is the whole kit. Takes about 3 minutes to set up.

Last edited by centershot; 02/19/20.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,397
Posts18,488,893
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.