Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
So Paul, I want to get a bike this spring. What’s a good brand? Pros and cons....

I honestly don't think brand is important in most cases. At a given price point, most bikes have the same parts hanging on a similar frame made in Taiwan or China. What kind of bike are you looking for?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dassa
[
Based on your research, is the cyclist or the motorist most likely dead in fatal collisions?

My research shows me motorists kill motorists much more frequently.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No different than the ones that ride from Marshall to Asheville on NC 251 and through rectors corner on 1001.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 700LH

The commentary of that last guy from California was frickin’ awesome grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
[
Based on your research, is the cyclist or the motorist most likely dead in fatal collisions?

Yet somehow I feel so much more likely to die on a bicycle than I do in my car. In fact, having put in many hours commuting and cross country traveling on both, I believe motorcycles to be considerably safer than bicycles.

You are prob’ly gonna quote me some stats.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
[

Wait until there are more cycles.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have given up. After 20 years of riding a bike for 12 miles every day on the street, I cannot take the stress of being passed on blind corners.
I have turned a lot of gopro footage into the police, but so far, one pizza driver fired... that is all.

I average 18 mph in a 25 mph zone with lots of fiords.

When a car passes me in a blind hairpin turn, and at the apex we meet another car going the other way, passing a bike, both bikes go off road as the cars crowd them out of their lane, in order to avoid a head on with another car.

I am now hiking in the wood for 45 minutes a day.

Where I am bicyclists outnumber cars, but the bikers are young males with high male hormone count. They are risk takers.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I have given up. After 20 years of riding a bike for 12 miles every day on the street, I cannot take the stress of being passed on blind corners.
I have turned a lot of gopro footage into the police, but so far, one pizza driver fired... that is all.

When a car passes me in a blind hairpin turn, and at the apex we meet another car going the other way, passing a bike, both bikes go off road as the cars crowd them out of their lane, in order to avoid a head on with another car.

Where I am bicyclists outnumber cars, but the bikers are young males with high male hormone count. They are risk takers.

Would you say that riding today is more hazardous than it was 20 years ago?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No. My risk taking male hormone has dropped. I am not going out in big waves in small boats anymore either.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

No. My risk taking male hormone has dropped. I am not going out in big waves in small boats anymore either.

I was just thinking about my risk tolerance earlier today. For bicycling it's variable. For boating, my bad back and joints are more limiting than my risk tolerance.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Word..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Down here one of the favorite tricks is cutting over into your lane when traffic ahead slows. Doesn't matter if you're in a bike lane, emergency lane, turn lane. Nada. That next cup of Starbucks or cocktail is more important.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (12344mag, 117LBS, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1234, 59 invisible), 3,282 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,963
Posts18,499,212
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.