Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Originally Posted by jimy
Is there any point in calling a repairman or just buy a new one?

Ours works but a couple weeks back it was cold, so I unplugged it over night and cleaned every thing, it seemed to work, but its starting to not freeze stuff again, anyone work on these things or is it just throwing money away? its 10 - 15 years old Whirlpool .

I am 70 years old, my grandmothers refrigerator is still running on the porch. It has to be at least 50 years old.

My mom is 92 and still uses the chest freezer she had when I was a kid. It’s 55 plus years old.
And I’ve had two refrigerator/freezers go out the past five years. One five years ago was in basement and it was out days before we knew it, rotting meat really stinks. The other three months ago was fine at supper time. The next morning, the food in the freezer was hot, not sure how that happened.
I’d lean toward replacing if it’s more than 8-10 years old.

Last edited by dale06; 02/06/20.

NRA Patron

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Get on amazon, get some $10 freezer alarms.

Stupidity is painful

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jimy
Is there any point in calling a repairman or just buy a new one?

Ours works but a couple weeks back it was not cold, so I unplugged it over night and cleaned every thing, it seemed to work, but its starting to not freeze stuff again, anyone work on these things or is it just throwing money away? its 10 - 15 years old Whirlpool .

Just went through the same thing. We paid to repair and it still wasn’t proper. I’d buy new and put the repair money towards new.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Modern appliances are garbage. If you got 15 years you're ahead of the game. My average on appliances has been about 8 years.
Get the fewest possible bells and whistles on the replacement. I don't even go for an ice-maker anymore. An ice maker is probably the number one refrigerator repair item.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I go to Lowes and get a scratch n dent

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I buy the most extended warranty they offer, have them fixed under warranty till it runs out, then when they break after warranty expires, I buy a new one.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have fixed ours 4 times. I've replaced defrost timers, thermostats, etc. It isn't that hard. If the coils get a leak, or the compressor dies, there's no fixing them for a homeowner, but "bolt on" stuff is available on the internet. I have nursed ours since 1999 and it's still going. I do believe I will think about getting another one soon because the drawers, shelves and door seals are getting rough around the edges.

I have a Coldspot in the basement that came with the house, and it has been running since the early 1970s and has never been touched. They made them to last back then.

Last edited by reivertom; 02/06/20.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Avoid Samsung

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Avoid Samsung

Agreed.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have a 5 year old Samsung refrigerator.

It is a blessing and a curse.

A curse, because it is a giant piece of chit and had broke 3 times. I will never buy another Samsung. Literally, no one in Colorado will even roll a truck to look at it. When I call with a problem, they laugh at me, but with a sad pity. But no one would let me PAY THEM to look at it.

It's been a blessing, because I have learned that refrigerators are pretty simply devices, and I can download every last schematic and repair manual for free, buy parts on-line, troubleshoot with the help of helpful folks on-line, and fix the POS myself.

I am limping this POS along, having spent a few hours troubleshooting and $300 in parts, with food in ice chests more than once.

So for now, this $2000 POS is still not in my kitchen and not in a landfill.... And that beats $5,000 for the next POS my wife wants to buy.

But I 100% get the guy who pays someone to haul off a POS unit to bring in the next one because it is the path of least resistance...

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Avoid Samsung

times INFINITY. No one in Colorado will even LOOK at one, they laugh.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I like the little mini-fridges that cost around a C-note when they go on sale. They're just the right size to put a tap in the door and keep a pony keg cold.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Swifty52
I would rather have a repairman come out and pay to have it fixed then to spend 3-4000 for a new WiFi, bluetooth, LCD and whatever else is installed that’s going to take a computer geek to fix when all them fancy electronic controls an d gizmos go out.

But that is the thing, you do not have to pay $3-4K for a decent fridge. We just put in a new GE 23 cu ft for about $850.

I would have purchased a 27 cu ft for less $, but the Missus did not like the way it pushed out past the counter depth. PSHAW!

Our last fridge is still running well in the old house after fifteen years. The door says Maytag. The serial # says GE, Ha. I paid $150 extra for it to get the one WITHOUT ice and water in the door. It has an ice maker in the freezer and there's water flowing from the kitchen tap.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We had a Samsung front load washer and dryer set. The washer quit draining The water. I removed the pump and verified it worked fine. The circuit board was broken and decided not to spend the money on replacing it due to its age and cost of repair. I was going to give the washer to any local repair shop so they could have the remaining good parts . No one would even work on Samsung thus no need for the free spare parts. It went to the dump.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Replace,don't bother with repair. If it's less than 10 years old, it's not worth fixing because something else will go bad on it soon. If it's older than that you may not be able to get parts. Labor is expensive. If the wife can live with it get a scratch and dent deal.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.