Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
trb696 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
This type 24 is all original, unmolested in 8mm Mauser. Well used for sure, NOT in display condition, but serviceable. The barrel is definitely shot out as the rifling is nearly gone. The Serial numbers on barrel, receiver and trigger guard / floor plate match. How do I date this rifle? Found tons of info on Gewehr 98's but little on these Generalisimo/Chiang Kai-sheck/Jiang Jieshi/Zhongzheng Type 24 rifles. I think they range from 1930's to 40's.. Have a WAG guess on value range? Would replacing the barrel wreck value? Would like to keep it in 8 x 57 (to use for short range deer gun, original iron sights (100-200yd tops), just for cool/odd factor. NO ONE else in "deer camp" would have ever seen one, let alone knew they existed! Any info help much appreciated!

"The Individuals Rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the State, nothing is so dangerous to a Society."
Underestimated by everyone...
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There are several good reference books on these and other Chinese rifles. Century Arms in St Albans VT HAD tons of these and other stuff, in tge 1970s when i visited, even Type 38 n 99 Arisakas rebored and chambered to 8x57 and so marked .i was lucky to visit Century and to go to China in the 70s to shoot these and other chinese guns with the Chinese Militia on a pay per round basis. Im not am expert. A lot of the Chinese 98s are badly rusted and pitted-probably from being battlefield pickups. I have one ive been soaking and trying to remove the barrel from- without success.Shot out barrels are common.The average Chinese conscript placed little value on keeping his weapon clean. His tummy cane first! A large ring 98 barrel might work. Shoot the gun first- taking suitable precautions and see if the bolt will open easily. If not, the receiver locking lug recesses are no good and a new orbetter receiver is needed. Good luck with it! Mel

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Looking back Ive only encountered one Chinese Mauser and it was for sale in an antique store in PENN. My brother told me about it and me it was Japanese. I went and looked at it, didnt interest me. If I remember correctly it was priced $80. That was around ten years ago.

trb696 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Melchung, from your condition discriptions I'd say this one is in pretty good shape. very minimal surface browning, some pitting/dings on the bolt, no cracks in wood. The right side of stock has a round spot that looks like a previous maybe political/leadership mark was obliterated by pressing/burning gouging. Has the "Gear wheel with Bow and Arrow" arsenal stamp on upper receiver with "type 24 rife" (I think) in Chinese under that and 33-4 under that (maybe the year/month?). Can post pics with advise on "how to".

"The Individuals Rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the State, nothing is so dangerous to a Society."
Underestimated by everyone...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,277
Posts18,505,057
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.