Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The 250 Savage is one sweet cartridge. The SLOWEST twist to even consider is a 1-9 with a 250. Ditch the thought of a 1-10. If I were doing the build for my use and bullets you plan to use, it would be a 1-8.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ky221
Alrite guys, I’m in the process of putting together a .250savage for deer and called coyotes.

I’m waiting on a stock from McMillan before I order anything else. It is due any day now.

Here’s what I’m thinking

Olive & black speck Mountain rifle stock
700 stainless SA from buds
10twist #2 Douglass @ 22”
Timney 510

Douglass barrels are only an hour away from me so I was going to have them do the barrel installation and blueprint.

I think the only thing I’m missing is bottom metal, thought about picking up the complete BDL kit from red hawk rifles for 160$. Any reason not to go with that?

Anything else you see with the above specs you would do differently ? Not sure if I’m going to keep it all stainless or have it cerekoted. I’ll have to see it first.

Open to suggestions/criticism.

The 250 Salvage is simply a schit chambering,frosted with schit boolits. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Were you to retain the blueprint and go with a good spout,in a good diameter and a good chambering...you'd simply begin to connect dots and by default. In a .473" of that case length,I'd want it chambered in either 224 or 243 Kreedmire,with 224 being the preference(mainly because I've several of each,along with others of the ilk). I'd go no slower than 8",nor faster than 7" and the focus would be 88 ELD's for everything,with a Brux or Bart(depending which Greg had on the shelf). You get a .545 BC,clipping along at nearly 3200fps(in your cited barrel length),as opposed to the dogschit .257" 100gr NBT and it's fhuqking dismal .393 BC. The Kreedmire is simply 95% of a 22-250AI. Hint.

Left to right: 224,243 and 264 Kreedmires. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Left to right: 22-250 SALAMI,22-250 AI and 224 Kreedmire. Hint.

If sourcing parts in the manner you did(NIB Donor receiver,less metal),I'd go M5 AICS DBM and never look back. There's a great assortment of easily sourced mags,readily available and you've miles of COAL latitude. I'd send it to The Kali Kid,opt .100" freebore,reiterate the use of Alpha Virgins for neck clearance clarity and then simply sell the 250 brass/dies/schit and move along,with a smile on my face and the stench removed from my hands. Hint.

A 25-06 cain't hang with it. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Laughing!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Not sure what dots I need to connect to kill an eastern ky whitetail at 100 yards.

Must be missing something.

Might as well close this thread down gentleman. It will be a stickshow, i mean shiit-show in no time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh my...you CLUELESS Window Looking Droolers are a rather Tender lot. Pardon Facts and Physics,upsetting you so,as you fill out your latest Hurt Feelers Report. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You are simply missing a First Fhuqking Clue and an ability to connect a single fhuqking dot. I enjoy the fact that you are deeply mired in your own Stupidity and that you felt compelled to reiterate same. That was a nice touch! Hint. LAUGHING!

Having shot every chambering and boolit thus far cited(and a fhuqk ton that haven't),I'm rather at ease in extrapolations,of water that's flowed beneath the bridge. Secondly,I rather enjoy the humor associated with Fhuqktards and their STUPID fhuqking blueprints and then the "justifications" of same. 'Tis that oblivious humor,that's always the best and you certainly don't disappoint. Hint.

With a lineup of like length cases to choose from,it is never not funnier than fhuqk,when a Drooling Window Licker grabs the one which is farrrrrrrrr worse. The 250 Salvage will simply recoil more,drop more,drift more,arrive slower and be more expensive to shoot...which horns CLUELESS Droolers up apparently. Hint. LAUGHING!

I very MUCH enjoy,that your Stupidity is no "Act" and it's magnitude is appreciated. Hint. Laughing!

Bless your heart for trying soooooooooo hard.

Hint.

Laughing!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Alrite guys, I’m in the process of putting together a .250savage for deer and called coyotes.

I’m waiting on a stock from McMillan before I order anything else. It is due any day now.

Here’s what I’m thinking

Olive & black speck Mountain rifle stock
700 stainless SA from buds
10twist #2 Douglass @ 22”
Timney 510

Douglass barrels are only an hour away from me so I was going to have them do the barrel installation and blueprint.

I think the only thing I’m missing is bottom metal, thought about picking up the complete BDL kit from red hawk rifles for 160$. Any reason not to go with that?

Anything else you see with the above specs you would do differently ? Not sure if I’m going to keep it all stainless or have it cerekoted. I’ll have to see it first.

Open to suggestions/criticism.

I would try a Trigger Tech Primary trigger,other than that it look good.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having owned a few 250's and a 25-204, I like the 100gr Partition for deer, you don't shoot that many so cost is a non-factor plus you can get BLEM reasonable. I hope you don't plan on saving fur 257 bullets are pretty tough on it. I've shot most of the 75's at them and it hasn't been pretty, I really need to try some heavies and see if I can get small exits.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Love my Shilen barrel (1:10”) 250 Sav Ack Imp Ruger 77 Mark II. After hearing much about the 6.5 Creedmore I had no desire to build or buy one, but it did cause me to wonder about how a 250 Savage, Improved or not, might do with a faster twist barrel. However a 10” twist handles the 100 grain bullets I shoot extremely well.
For what it’s worth I might suggest a custom reamer spec’d to better fit the 250 brass available today. Pick your desired brand of 250 brass and carefully mike the diameter at the web area and use these measurements to design the reamer. Why? Winchester 250 brass is very small at the web area diameter compared to most 243/308 standard brass.
It’s always possible someone’s reamer cuts a better fit chamber than the older Clymer reamer I used, but it’s worth checking out ahead of your build.

Last edited by Alaninga; 02/06/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
earache,

Might you be lauding the inherent virtues,of all thangs 6mm on accident? Hint. Congratulations?!?

Whether 270,6 Grendel,6BR,6-250,6XC or Kreedmire,all will simply CRUSH their 257 Cousins. Tough to whoop the 105 Hornie BTHP in all and it just "happens" to reliably robust,forgiving in all avenues and boast a .530 BC. I shoot it in far more cartridges than I mentioned,but it's a start. No thang,to score 'em for under 20 Clams per Hunnert and the REAL Deal. Hint.

A couple few flavors,stoked with 105's and don't forget,that side by each extrapolations in like conditions,are more than a touch "telling". Hint.

The .257 NBT is a steaming piece of fhuqking schit,with a .377 BC. You can load 'em backwards and aeroform doesn't fhuqking change. Hint. LAUGHING!

Pardon my shooting it all and then some. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

Elaineinga,

Like being homeless,then hearing about and having opportunity at a $100K job and running the other way. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Your keen "insight",is simply fhuqking HILARIOUS! You CLUELESS Droolers are a fhuqking riot! Hint. LAUGHING!

I suggest someone who "knows" and "does" as "much" as you,simply shut the fhuqk,take notes and apply same...rather than attempting an "answer". Hint.

Bless your heart,for doing your BEST.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anything 6 mm thought out would be a better choice for what you intend. But sounds like a nice rifle. I would do a 6 CM. Never can understand building a rifle around schit brass and schit bullets.
Let us know

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That 6x45 is sexy. And cheap shooting FUN!

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
For a coyote caller and deer hunter? I’ll say again. On a called coyote and a whitetail deer within normal hunting ranges how much difference is there between a 100NBT and whatever fast twist 105 vld wind bucking latest greatest projectile is there ?

Idk what part you guys aren’t getting about someone who doesn’t twist a turret to kill game. Are the days of point and click shooting gone? Is everything Chris Kyle now?

We know a gt500 will outperform a Toyota 4 runner. But if you’re just someone who drives to work and goes grocery shopping. Does it matter?

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Finished with this thread. Thanks for those that helped out. Preciate y’all that can see the merit in a classic old cartridge.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Finished with this thread. Thanks for those that helped out. Preciate y’all that can see the merit in a classic old cartridge.

I love the old 250 and it'll work great for your intended use.

Best wishes on your project, and put up some pics when it is done.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks Brad.

I hope I’m not coming across as someone who “only hears what he wants to hear and can’t handle any opposition”

But from someone who has used the 250 and for someone who keeps hunting ranges reasonable. I kinda know what it’s all about and I like it. So I was only looking for feedback about the particular build. Not the cartridge.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'@6,

I like the Seex Kreedmire plenty good,but returning full circle to boolits...the 88 ELD in 224 Kreedmire is tough to whoop. Hint.(grin)

It obviously starts at a faster clip and a .545 BC at 3200fps from a Handy/Dandy,sure do cover alotta bases,without struggle. Hint.

Bitch on the bottom,if only obviously.

Hell...a 224 Grendel will slap a 250 Salvage silly and fits in fhuqking AR mags,with an 88 Smooch and lotsa Land Chasin' Room. Hint.

I enjoy how she says: "Open to suggestions/criticism."...but only wants stupid Fhuqks to tell her,that her STUPID fhuqking blueprint is a "Peach". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless her heart,for Lying,Crying and Whining.

Hint.

25slummin',

An 18" 270 slingin' 105 Hornie HPBT's,absolutely crushes a 250 Salvage. Hint.

My long one is a 19" Bart' MTU,in A5,yada,yada,yada. down low and amidship. Hint.

Don't tease her about money,you KNOW how very fhuqking sensitive she is. Hint. LAUGHING!

A 6XC would snap her,especially now that Bob is making brass for same(make mine LRP)! Hint. Laughing!

Bless her heart,for Lying,Crying and Whining.

Hint.

KyJelly,

Keep "defending" and "justifying" your Incredible Fhuqking Stupidity and "convincing" yourself,that you've a First Fhuqking Clue...because you are doing "GREAT",with the "explanations". Hint. Congratulations?!? LAUGHING!!!

Do tell how/why reducing cost,reducing recoil,increasing trajectory,decreasing drift and upsizing terminal effects,upsets you so? Spare NO "details". Hint. LAUGHING!

Lemme tell yo a little "secret"...with a simplistic 200yd zero,I can simply look through the scope of an 18" 270 with the aforementioned 105 and reach the 950yd line. I know it is VERY "tricky" for you(impossible) and your crossed-eyes to arrane same,let alone given your IQ,to "understand". You keep honking the fhuqking Stupid Horn and stick to your guns,for MAXIMUM Humor...you "lucky' kchunt. Pun be intended. hint. LAUGHING!

"Finished with the thread"?!?...Sweeteie you were NEVER "in" it. Your melting Snowflake routine,is assuredly NO "Act". Hint. LAUGHING +P+++!!!!

Bless your heart,for Lying,Crying and Whining.

Hint.

Brad,

You've perhaps got to read about,maybe (3) of the chamberings cited...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The only thing you shoot,is your mouth and Imagination. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for trying though and perhaps try again!

Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Brad.

I hope I’m not coming across as someone who “only hears what he wants to hear and can’t handle any opposition”

But from someone who has used the 250 and for someone who keeps hunting ranges reasonable. I kinda know what it’s all about and I like it. So I was only looking for feedback about the particular build. Not the cartridge.

Not at all... I used the 250 quite a bit years back.

One poster on this thread reminds me of the old saying - "Knowledge is understanding the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use tomato in a fruit salad."

He has some knowledge, but like his kind, no wisdom.

Here's a 30 year old photo of my 250 Savage... I was using (gasp) 120 gr Speer's. Like you I had no need for anything past a 100 yards (the tomato analogy):

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
@OP, I am in the same boat as you, except with .243 Win. Plenty of brass. Plenty of bullets. And it is all that is needed for KY WT's inside 200 yards. Toying with getting an NSS Remage barrel to fit a short action rifle in the safe.

For some reason the trolls and fan boys seem to get their little feelers hurt when you point out that you don't need the "latest, greatest" stuff to kill Whitetails. Nothing against the new stuff. But, what worked 50, 80, 100 years ago... still works...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Brad,

You GO girl...stand with a trembling fist and help KyJelly lick fhuqking windows. Hint. Congratulations?!? LAUGHING!

Was there sucha thang as 223,30yrs ago? Hint. LAUGHING!

You Amazingly CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a hoot,if only because you are doing your best. No matter how hard you clench your crossed-eyes and furrow that pointy brow,you'll never begin to fhuqking fathom the magnitude of your STUPIDITY. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some and you getting to read about it and gawking the Splendid Pixels. Hint.

"Might" be a 223 here. Hint.

LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for Lying,Crying and whining.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................

OhCryin',

The 243 is 50% more cartridge than the 250 Salvage and you are just trying to be mean to KyJelly. Hint. Congratulations?!? LAUGHING!

"Might" be a 223 here. Hint.

LAUGHING!

Now isn't the 243Win,one of them there "Magnums"?!? Hint. LAUGHING!

Might be a 6BR here. Hint.

LAUGHING!

You keep "convincing" yourself,that you've got a first fhuqking clue. You ASSUREDLY are in the same boat,of being yet another CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktard. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for TRYING.

Hint.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Pardon me for having driven everything. You guys all suck and you're stupid and i am awesome.

Driving to the post office 1 mile away requires a McLaren not your dumb pickup truck. Its faster and flatter and better mileage and you keep choosing the [bleep] worst choice!

Get you [bleep] off the couch and go outdoors. See here a few pics of my McLaren in water and all muddy.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (2ndwind, 300s, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 338reddog, 338rcm, 40 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,620
Posts18,474,012
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.