Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Musicianized
So decades ago they had the tech to make something that will communicate over a billion miles away in space.. and now in 2020 I can't get cell service 5 miles away from a cell tower..

Whatever.

Lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So decades ago they had the tech to make something that will communicate over a billion miles away in space.. and now in 2020 I can't get cell service 5 miles away from a cell tower..

Whatever.

lol, yes, we also used to say "We can put a man on the moon and bring him back, but we can't get a college basketball scoreboard to work for a full 1/2 of a game"

My newest amazement; we can put LED lights on a pickup truck that are guaranteed to last 25 years, but show me 3 new GM vehicles in a row that have all of them actually working!!!.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kennyd
One hell of an antenna. And the sunlight must be practically nothing out there

The best available at the time...

[Linked Image]

Radio Shack, of course!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The Voyager probes do not rely on solar power - they are old-fashioned nuclear-powered probes!

They are each powered by three MHW-RTGs, with heat from nine RHUs (Radioisotope Heater Units).

The Multihundred-Watt radioisotope thermoelectric generators (MHW RTG) is a type of US radioisotope thermoelectric generator (RTG) developed for the Voyager spacecrafts, Voyager 1 and Voyager 2.
Each RTG had a total weight of 37.7 kg including about 4.5 kg of Pu-238. It uses 24 pressed plutonium-238 oxide spheres and provides enough heat to generate approximately 157 watts of electrical power initially - halving every 87.7 years.
Collectively, the RTGs supplied each Voyager spacecraft with 470 watts at launch.
An RHU contains a Pu-238 fuel pellet about the size of a pencil eraser and outputs about 1 Watt of heat. (The entire RHU is about the size of a C-cell battery.)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Absolutely correct, Blackbat. Thanks.

One reason why the Voyager missions will last only a few more years is available power from the RTGs. The other is pure distance. Voyager transmits at only 25 watts, about the power of a refrigerator lightbulb. At two billion miles plus the signal at our end is incredibly weak. It takes huge dish antennas to even detect it, and today's computer power to "read" the signal. Not long from now, the signal will be too weak to detect. Voyager is moving away from us at 46,000 miles per hour, and its distance from us also varies with where around the sun the Earth happens to be.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Lennie

By Passant Rabie

What a name. In school you just know he was called Piss-ant Rabies.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BayouRover and Joken2: Thank you both for the clarification/answers. They were much appreciated.
And now I know - I just couldn't remember or imagine radio waves attaining that speed - however that happens.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Whatever.

So...you have Consumer Cellular also. smirk

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Whatever.

So...you have Consumer Cellular also. smirk

Even better.. Sprint

You can lead a horse...
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I wonder if they can even use a solar panel that far out. How can a 40 year old battery still be working, and if they are, why can't I get one for my truck?

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by reivertom
I wonder if they can even use a solar panel that far out. How can a 40 year old battery still be working, and if they are, why can't I get one for my truck?

Because the type of battery they use in space probes would be lethal to be anywhere near for any significant length of time, unless it were encased in lead. It would be like constantly getting an X-Ray, otherwise.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
It’s really incredible how durable voyager 2 is. Decades in the cold and radiation of space and it still works.

Interstellar warming. That's our fault too.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Because the type of battery they use in space probes would be lethal to be anywhere near for any significant length of time, unless it were encased in lead. It would be like constantly getting an X-Ray, otherwise.

I'd risk it if it lasted more than 5 years.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Aliens probably gonna exterminate us all ...

Being forced to watch TV westerns from the 50,s and 60,s and Gilligans Island reruns 24/7 for decades....

And now The View and Masked Singer are heading their way also.....

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by renegade50
Aliens probably gonna exterminate us all ...

Being forced to watch TV westerns from the 50,s and 60,s and Gilligans Island reruns 24/7 for decades....

And now The View and Masked Singer are heading their way also.....

That was once an argument for the position that we were likely the only intelligent life in our galaxy. The premise was that, if there was intelligent life somewhere out there, they would have picked up all our TV and radio signals, and responded back by now. But it turns out that's not a good argument, because apparently those signals corrupt so quickly that, before reaching even the nearest star, they'd be indistinguishable from background noise.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

If you’ll bother to read just 6 posts back (I know that’s a whole lot to ask) but a member named Blackbat (and it’s even on the same page as you)
He explains the use of “Multihundred-Watt radioisotope thermoelectric generators (MHW RTG)” type system.

He goes on further in detail.

So thorough, he even educated the guy on here from NASA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty hard to smack the side of the cabinet from that distance. Amazing that communication is even possible over such a span.

1Minute
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by slumlord

If you’ll bother to read just 6 posts back (I know that’s a whole lot to ask) but a member named Blackbat (and it’s even on the same page as you)
He explains the use of “Multihundred-Watt radioisotope thermoelectric generators (MHW RTG)” type system.

He goes on further in detail.

So thorough, he even educated the guy on here from NASA.

I still want one. I keep getting lousy batteries these days. :^)

PS it was more like 15 posts back.......take you shoes off to count next time. It wasn't any trouble at all, I just didn't see it.

Last edited by reivertom; 02/09/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I had those batteries they still corrode the inside of my maglite after 30 days.

So much for being prepared.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Pretty hard to smack the side of the cabinet from that distance. Amazing that communication is even possible over such a span.

Yet the first space launches were ran with computers less powerful than a modern iPhone.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,499
Posts18,490,472
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.