Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I finally had a chance to put my new range to use. I took 3 guns. With each rifle/scope combo, something was defective and will have to go back.

The Riton scope has an advertised 4.4 inches of eye relief. It is under 3. Just about unusable on the bench. Adjusting it in on target was a bit of a mystery. Like a typical Leupold, but not quite as bad. It's an RT-S Mod 5 Gen 2 4-15x50 and it's going back to Riton.

I had the Remington 5R 223 the Riton rested on out in daylight for the first time. The stock is cracked. The bottom metal is tarnished. The rounds in the magazine are staggered a little bit left and right as is typical of bolt guns. When it feeds off the right, the round kicks up and goes over the bolt. Accuracy sucked too. It's going back to Remington. This 5R is supposed to be one of their better offerings.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The Burris Droptine 4.5x14x42 has been tried on 2 different rifles with two different ring and base combos on one of them. The gun it was tried on today was a known shooter in a Ruger 10-22 I built. I pulled a Weaver 44/40 off of it. I initially tried it with the same rings and bases I had the Weaver in. This was a few months ago. I maxed out the elevation and was way low on target. I ordered some Talleys and tried them out today. Same story. It's going back to Burris.

The Ruger Predator HM2 that Whittaker had done in a special run splits every CCI and Remington case I shoot out of it. It only split one of the Hornady's. The catch here is that the Marlin HM2 I have doesn't split any to the best of my recollection. It's been years since I shot it. I am going to take them both next time and do a more extensive trial. If the Ruger splits 'em and the Marlin doesn't the Ruger is going back. Hell, I may as well send Rugers back before I ever un-box them. That's the way it has gone lately.

Seriously who has this kind of shidt for luck?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Well I've had some good Rugers.

But I've had some that were cursed by gypsies before they left the factory and then again when they were sent back to me.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
There's alot of shyt out there from Remington and Ruger and has been for a long time. Ruger will take care of their abortions to your satisfaction or refund your money, one or the other. Remington ? Good luck, which is why I don't and won't buy anything Remington.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I haven't been impressed by the Ruger American offerings...

That is why I call it the Ruger Mexican instead...

on the other hand....I am a big fan of the Ruger 77 Mk 2.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Hope you have better luck on the next outing

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Still better than working.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gritsnfishin1
Still better than working.

I politely disagree. I wanted to stack the damn things up and let the Mahindra chew them up with the bush hog. I have has my fill of crap quality.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Seriously who has this kind of shidt for luck?

I'll never ask you to pick a scope or rifle for me.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
PaulBarnard: Definitely and thankfully - not me!
Sorry for your troubles - I used to be Big Greens #1 Rifle advocate - sadly as of 4 or 5 years ago I completely quit buying "new" Remington Rifle and endorsing their various offerings.
I find enough "as new" Remington Rifles for sale from the 70's, 80's & 90's to keep me fully equipped and contented with their above average accuracy.
Again sorry for your compounded problems - I hope Big Green comes through for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It isn’t luck, avoid crap.
A range day or hunting trip with Tikkas/SWFAs, is just too easy.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
buy old remmy 788's,tikka's and savages. bushnell elite 4200,6500

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paul please tell us you did not ride your bike, to the range

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Blackheart
There's alot of shyt out there from Remington and Ruger and has been for a long time. Ruger will take care of their abortions to your satisfaction or refund your money, one or the other. Remington ? Good luck, which is why I don't and won't buy anything Remington.

That's been my experience as well. Four out of the five Rugers I have purchased have had to go back for warranty service. In every case they made it easy and the repair was done quickly and permanently. The AR was a complete replacement. Only Ruger not sent back was a 10/22.

I'm an old fart, and unlike many here my experiences don't lead me to gush over 70s and 80s era Remingtons, and ditto Leupolds. Remingtons were mixed. An excellent .308 Varminter from around 1978, and a M700 Classic that was a total abortion. Bent firing pin, bolt full of steel chips, and a misshapen stock with a finish like a football, no polishing at all on the underside of the receiver. A Leupold Vari-X II that failed on an out-of-state hunt, and was found to have broken internals. Other Leupolds also needed service, including my son's Vari-X III that couldn't be zeroed right at the start.

I'm not a dedicated junky for any brand. They all have to prove and continue to prove their worth to earn and hold my loyalty.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a couple of Burris scopes back in the mid '80s. They were stolen and not replaced. I don't miss them.

Don't speak Riton, dunno what that is.

Never had a significant problem with a Ruger, but all I ever owned were old stuff. They all worked fine, shot OK to Ho Li Wow! Still have a couple and won't part with them anytime soon.

Have an old Remington 700 that's been massaged a little. You can't have that one either.

I know Jack Schidt.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Buy cheap production rifles and then expect superior firearms is like paying for azz with expectations of true loyalty. Rarely do you hear of problems with Brownings,. But then again you do not buy them for $300. I never had a single issue with Blazer rifles and that comes after about a dozen of them I have or did own.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remind me to never get in a car or airplane with you.

Out of a bunch of Ruger handguns and rifles purchased over 35 years or so, only one ever had to go back, a New Bearcat that had to go back twice because the first "repair" actually made things worse. No cost to me, except in aggravation.

My newest is the same RAR .17 as yours. Mine works flawlessly, with no splits observed. Accuracy is not what I'd hoped for, with flyers, but I blame that on the current ammunition. The bedding design leaves little room for any troubles on that score. When I received it, the trigger guard was broken, courtesy of UPS, and Ruger sent a replacement quickly, at no cost. Right now it's on consignment because the accuracy issue is something I feel can't be improved by me, only by Hornady or CCI. Still, it's as good as many .22s with HSHPs, so it may come home someday if it doesn't sell.

My other Rugers right now include a Hawkeye AW .223, which shoots 40gr Fiocchi Vmax ammo so well there's almost no reason to load my own for varmints. I do have loads worked up with a couple of "deer" bullets just in case. That one also works perfectly. The last one is a 10/22 CSC, which ran about $700 by the time I got it home. There is a tiny spot on the barrel with the blueing missing, but otherwise it also works perfectly, and has turned in some nice groups. I'm hoping for improvement after some more break-in and ammo testing. Before I bought it, I "built" some in cyberspace with parts frim various sources, and decided I was ahead money- and feature-wise with the one that Ruger sells.

Only Remington here now is my 581, which I got for Christmas in 1967. About 2000 or so, the original magazine started to have some issues, so I picked up another. I expect a little cleaning and maybe lubrication will set the old one right. Based largely on the issues observed by my son while working at Gander Mountain, I've stayed away from new Remingtons for about 15 years. Gotta say though that the 700 Police .308 he bought was a very fine shooter. Still have a couple targets with three-shot 200 yard groups that are hard to believe.

Whatever is the opposite of having a horseshoe up one's tookas, you appear to have in abundance. You should consider tossing a virgin, if you can find one, in a handy volcano to change that.😛

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
Buy cheap production rifles and then expect superior firearms is like paying for azz with expectations of true loyalty. Rarely do you hear of problems with Brownings,. But then again you do not buy them for $300. I never had a single issue with Blazer rifles and that comes after about a dozen of them I have or did own.

Might ought to try a Savage once.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
probably nothing wrong with the Burris other than limited erector travel......that model specs at 40 moa total movement

your rings , bases , receiver combination is simply not lining up with the bore.......way more common than you might think

I have Remingtons , *good ones* made in the seventies that are so far off you have to use multiple shims AND windage adjustable bases to get any sort of scope sighted in

older M70 s , it is not unheard of to have the receiver threads cut so that the barrel is pointing downward

these sort of problems are why it costs so much to have an action blueprinted , and why the custom actions can demand such a high price , hard to believe you have not experienced such issues before

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kid0917
Paul please tell us you did not ride your bike, to the range

A bike ride was the best part of the weekend.

I live in New Orleans. My acreage is 100 miles away in MS. I took Friday off. I was going to spend a 3 day weekend hunting, riding and then closing the weekend out shooting on a range that I built on my land. My cell cameras showed deer coming out in the last of the legal shooting light in the evening and again at day break. Just as I was getting ready to go sit in my ground blind I heard a hunting dog sounding. It ran right down through where my blind was and sounded all throughout the bottom until dark. The dog was at it again first thing Saturday morning. Then rain started coming through on what was to be a completely dry day.

I was able to squeeze in a quick ride and carve tunnels in the woods for my grand nephews. Those little farts love having a place to run around beating each other with sticks and otherwise acting like boys should.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Has Remington QC gotten better lately, or is it a crap shoot yet?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.