Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
jkinpa Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve been a Winchester model 70 guy for years now, prior to that Remington 700’s. I’ve just recently been getting into Kimbers.

So, I’m trying to see if they have or have had models with the features that I’ve come to like in my hunting rifles.
Can’t seem to find a synthetic, stainless model with a floor plate? The Classic has the floor plate but is wood and blued. The Hunter has a dbm, and Montana has a blind mag.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I believe all the stainless ones have blind mags. I'm sure in addition to weight savings, it's also is a cost issue. I actually prefer blind mags as you can't accidentally dump your mag, especially important when in the backcountry.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The Open Country may be stainless/synthetic with a floor plate but it's different with respect to weight and stock design than most of their other mountain type rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They made a Classic Stainless for awhile. I have one in 280AI. And the limited 6.5 CM is a stainless gun (receiver is coated black) with a wood stock and floorplate.

Or you can buy a stainless Kimber Montana or Hunter and stick it in a wood stock/bottom metal from any classic....as long as SA/SA or LA/LA. And sell the donors.

But no.......No composite stocks with floorplate bottom metal. Not sure if you could have a Montana stock inletted for the Kimber floorplate metal or not.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by DKim
The Open Country may be stainless/synthetic with a floor plate but it's different with respect to weight and stock design than most of their other mountain type rifles.

Correct, The Open Country is stainless, and Kimpro coated, with a floorplate. But only available in 6.5CM or 308. They are just under 7lbs. Mine was very accurate.

But they do have a new Open Country with a proof carbon barrel too. Not sure of the chamberings.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by DKim

Correct, The Open Country is stainless, and Kimpro coated, with a floorplate. But only available in 6.5CM or 308. They are just under 7lbs. Mine was very accurate.

But they do have a new Open Country with a proof carbon barrel too. Not sure of the chamberings.

Yea....I should have clarified none that are for the Kimber lightweight barrel inlet.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
J
jkinpa Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 257heaven
They made a Classic Stainless for awhile. I have one in 280AI. And the limited 6.5 CM is a stainless gun (receiver is coated black) with a wood stock and floorplate.

Or you can buy a stainless Kimber Montana or Hunter and stick it in a wood stock/bottom metal from any classic....as long as SA/SA or LA/LA. And sell the donors.

But no.......No composite stocks with floorplate bottom metal. Not sure if you could have a Montana stock inletted for the Kimber floorplate metal or not.

This is what I had needed up with as well, in my head.

Thanks for the help so far, gentlemen.

I’d really love a classic stainless but in a synthetic stock. 😃

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you can open your mind a bit, you may find you'll like the blind magazine of the MT.

For a backpack/mountain rifle I absolutely prefer a blind magazine.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
jkinpa Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Brad
If you can open your mind a bit, you may find you'll like the blind magazine of the MT.

Yep...been trying to embrace that change.

I am leaning towards a Montana in 30-06. 😉

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jkinpa

I've had two Montana's in 30-06... it's just too much of a good thing. I'd recommend getting a 308 Win, and never look back.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

J
jkinpa Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J

I've had two Montana's in 30-06... it's just too much of a good thing. I'd recommend getting a 308 Win, and never look back.

Thanks for the advice!

J
jkinpa Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I am Trying to firm up on either the 30-06, 270 or 308. With your recommendation, leaning towards the 308 at this point.

Truly appreciate the input, sir.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JK, I've had multiples of all 3, and have taken elk with all 3. At the end of the day, I prefer the 84M over the 84L. The 308 Montana is the Kimber "no-brainer of the century award winner."

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I always thought I liked detachable mags. But the Montana in 308 checked every other box I wanted.

Hunted hard all season and didn't miss it.

I did send her out to become a 358 though just because....I don't shoot real far and already shoot other 35cals.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also have some of each but for big game hunting, I prefer the Kimber especially the 84L in 270 while
the 84M in 338 Federal is close behind.

My two Fieldcrafts shoot very well but I really dislike the large gap along the bolt allowing snow and blueberries to
fall into the magazine.

I much prefer a blind magazine as the floorplates have no purpose for me and only add another minor degree of complexity.

J
jkinpa Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by VernAK
I also have some of each but for big game hunting, I prefer the Kimber especially the 84L in 270 while
the 84M in 338 Federal is close behind.

My two Fieldcrafts shoot very well but I really dislike the large gap along the bolt allowing snow and blueberries to
fall into the magazine.

I much prefer a blind magazine as the floorplates have no purpose for me and only add another minor degree of complexity.

The blind magazine works for you as well, huh sir?

Is the 338 Federal a factory chambering, or custom?

Which models do you or have you used?

J
jkinpa Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I am Trying to firm up on either the 30-06, 270 or 308. With your recommendation, leaning towards the 308 at this point.

Truly appreciate the input, sir.

JK, I've had multiples of all 3, and have taken elk with all 3. At the end of the day, I prefer the 84M over the 84L. The 308 Montana is the Kimber "no-brainer of the century award winner."

Brad,
Would you mind elaborating a bit on this for me, sir?

JK

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm only speaking for myself who have had multiples of 84L's and 84M's. The 30-06 in an 84 L (5# 10oz.) does have markedly more recoil in 180's and 200's than a .308 in 84M (5# 2oz.) in 165's and 150's. In my opinion, the .270 Win. in an 84L is the epitome of cartridge/rifle weight balance with all bullet weights. My new toy is a Mountain Ascent in 6.5 CM which, is a hybrid 84M (4# 15oz.) and will hopefully work out with 130 Acc's. creeping close to 2900 fps.. The 143 ELD-X has already proven itself on a caribou and two cow elk.
The "blind magazine" is the KISS idea for rifles.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 02/09/20.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
jkinpa Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks big whoop, appreciate your input.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I've hunted with M70 Featherweights for quite a few years now. I bought two Kimber Montanas in the last 6 months. Both 84M's, one in 7-08, the other in 257 Rob. Hunted the 7-08 for Wyoming pronghorns and NY whitetails and never missed the floor plate.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,198
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.