Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hello all, I could use some assistance. I’ve never owned a lever action before ( I know, I’m unAmerican). I’m getting ready to buy my first, and have decided on a new Miroku Winchester. I’m looking at the 1873 in 357 Mag (and open to discussion on the 1892 in the same cartridge), and the 1894 in 30-30.

I’m torn right down the middle. Both seem like great rifles. I don’t have an intended use for either yet other than just plain fun. I’ve toyed with the idea of CAS, and have a Uberti SAA in 357. If I knew I was going to do CAS, the ‘73 or ‘92 would be a no-brainer. I think it’s unlikely, however, that I ever will actually get into it. 30-30, on the other hand, has a bit of nostalgia to it, since at 12 years old, it was the first centerfire cartridge I ever fired. I’ve never owned one, and I think it might be time to change that.

To continue with the pros and cons; I prefer the looks of the ‘94, and I’ve heard it feels lighter and handier, even though both would be the 20” barrel. On the flip side, I’m not a fan of the manual tang safety on the Browning designed repros, but it’s not a deal killer. I’ve read that the ‘94 is a superior design, but the ‘73 has a smoother (and maybe even more reliable?) action.

I’m honestly at the point I could flip a coin. Both intrigue me that much, so I’d love to hear opinions. I wish there was somewhere I could compare both in person, but nowhere local has them. My friend has a ‘73 he’s going to let me check out. If the ‘92 or ‘94 truly feel noticeably handier, that would immediately sway me. I’m wanting a small, light carbine.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. By the way, I would love any Miroku photos. I can’t get enough of them. And one last quick note, I know someone may suggest a Uberti, but I am firmly decided on a Miroku.

Last edited by Jedi5150; 02/08/20.
HR IC

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
For just plain fun the 1873 in .357 Mag would be the way to go IMO.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Why not just get an older real Winchester 94?

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for the feedback, Gents.

UPhiker, I own a number of military surplus guns that are used, and I'm fine with that, given that they were military issued, and I'm unlikely to ever find a new Lee Enfield, for instance. But when it comes to civilian guns, I want to be the original owner. I want all the miles on the engine to have been put there by me. Many folks don't have that hang-up, and I get that. That's how I personally feel, though. As I mentioned, Miroku has been decided on. My only debate is as to which model/ cartridge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a '92 and '73 but both in 45 Colt. Makes sense to match both rifles with my 45 Colt Army.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Among the current Miroku Winchesters, the 73 seems to be the only one without the dumbass unnecessary tang safety, which at times in the past was reported to sometimes tie the rifles up. The 73 also, according to reviews, has a good trigger pull. Modern steel makes the .357 version workable, but I still wouldn't run hot mags through it on a regular basis myself.

Be prepared for a lot of hate from folks that don't like them because of where they're made, but Miroku makes good stuff and fine barrels. I have a couple of old Low Walls, and they're pretty much perfect in every way, probably the nicest rifles I've ever owned, except maybe an old Sako.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks Pappy. It's interesting to hear you say that about the '73 and full power 357's. I just watched a youtube video where the guy working on a '73 said the same thing. That's actually a pretty big turn off for me. smirk I've never been a fan of firearms that are "sensitive" to stout loads in the cartridges they are chambered in. I like the piece of mind of knowing that if it's factory ammo, the gun will do fine with it. I really like the simplicity I'm seeing in the '73's action, but that news about their tolerance of hot rounds is definitely a big entry in the "cons" category. Probably even more than a tang safety, at least for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The toggle-link action of the 73 wasn't meant for the pressures of smokeless. Doubtless these are safe, but just like a S&W M66, prudence dictates a little caution if long service life is your goal. Uberti, I believe, makes .44 mag 73s with special steel and maybe heat-treatment. Almost all CAS shooters use 73s from what I've seen, because they run so slick.

As to .30/30s, I'm pretty sure you can get a really nice original for a lot less than the replicas. An LGS had a beautifully restored M64 for about $900 a year or so ago. Check gunbroker. Pedersoli makes replicas too, I believe, with forged receivers AFIK, like their 86/71s. Those will run more than the Mirokus probably, so again originals will probably be the best buy.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't like the way the guts come out of a 94 when you work the action. One of the Marlins is my preference for a 30-30.

I love the little 92 in standard carbine or trapper configuration for their handiness and action strength.
But thinking if I had to choose from a Japanese reproduction of this old 19th century American classic, I might just go a little unconventional with the pistol gripped, case hardened , Trapper Takedown. http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...roducts/model-1892-trapper-takedown.html
If length of pull is too short, a custom made 2/3 length leather buttstock cover with a pad/spacer inside, and ammo loops, could give whatever LOP you desire.

The large loop carbine looks kind of cool too. John Wayne? The Rifleman?

It says it has a 20" barrel, but that sure looks like a 16" in the video.

Last edited by DollarShort; 02/09/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I were just going to use it as a range toy.....73.

If hunting were going to be involved.....94.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Miroku was building Browning Model '81's and shipping them to Australia over 40 years ago.
Miroku quality and finish is equal to anyone and certainly at the highest level.

If a "Branded" rifle is purchased for an investment that includes the historical leaning Boomers, look around for an older USA build in something else.
If the rifle is purchased for a lifetime of use and enjoyment, maybe the Boomers should not be a consideration, just buy what you like.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Jedi5150
Thanks Pappy. It's interesting to hear you say that about the '73 and full power 357's. I just watched a youtube video where the guy working on a '73 said the same thing. That's actually a pretty big turn off for me. smirk I've never been a fan of firearms that are "sensitive" to stout loads in the cartridges they are chambered in. I like the piece of mind of knowing that if it's factory ammo, the gun will do fine with it. I really like the simplicity I'm seeing in the '73's action, but that news about their tolerance of hot rounds is definitely a big entry in the "cons" category. Probably even more than a tang safety, at least for me.

You can use .38 Special instead of .357 Mag in the 1873 if you're worried about hot mag loads. Personally I think it's a load of crap.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It may well be crap, but the design puts all the stress on a couple of links and the pins they ride on. One way to handle it would be with slightly lighter loads; another would be the use of LilGun, which even at published max produces pressures below 30,000 CUP (25,800 with 158gr XTPs according to Hodgdon Data).

Plinking wouldn't require heavy loads, and the CAS crowd won't allow them.

92s are stronger and lighter, but the Winchesters have that dang safety. You pays your money and takes your choice.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Pappy348
It may well be crap, but the design puts all the stress on a couple of links and the pins they ride on. One way to handle it would be with slightly lighter loads; another would be the use of LilGun, which even at published max produces pressures below 30,000 CUP (25,800 with 158gr XTPs according to Hodgdon Data).

Plinking wouldn't require heavy loads, and the CAS crowd won't allow them.

92s are stronger and lighter, but the Winchesters have that dang safety. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Yup,or just use .38 Special loads.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Miroku 1895, 270 win. Slim to no chance in finding one.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by comerade
The Miroku 1895, 270 win. Slim to no chance in finding one.

There's one on gunbroker in 270 win with original box. Price isn't bad:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851261330

The miroku 1895's are good guns. Drilling and tapping holes, I've noticed the steel is harder to tap than others I've worked on. (Action and Barrel)

They will digest modern 30-06 and 270 pressures for thousands of rounds.

Having no rear bridge like most bolt actions, they are shorter than most short action bolt rifles, yet digest rounds longer than factory 30-06 and 270 C.O.A.L dimensions.

Mine is 38.25 inches long with 20" barrel:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ng-1895-scout-rifle-project#Post13233780

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for all the added food for thought! Here’s an update:

I just got back from a gun store that had several variations of the Miroku ‘73, two ‘92’s, an 1866, and an 1886. The undisputed winner was the 92. The 73’s I held had actions that were light, smooth, and fast, and I hated it. laugh I realized that the 73’s action did not feel anything like what I wanted a lever gun to feel like. Maybe it’s from owning so many surplus bolt guns, but I wanted the action to feel slow, chunky, and rock solid. The 92 delivered that in spades. In fairness, I’m sure the 1886 would have felt similar, but it wasn’t the size/ weight I was after.

So with me incredibly happy with the 92, it made me confident I want a 94. I realized I want the 92 feel but in a 30-30. So now I’m on a mission to find a Miroku 94 to hold, but I’m almost so confident I’d like it, that I’m considering buying one sight unseen.

It helped in another way too; I think the rifle style stock is gorgeous, with the gentle sweeping curve. But in reality, the toe was way too sharp, and what it had in looks, it lost in comfort. I’m glad I was able to see that first hand. I definitely want the carbine stock, even though it’s slightly less elegant.

Last edited by Jedi5150; 02/09/20.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Great!

Good luck on your search for a Miroku 94. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've got a Miroku-made 94 in 25-35. The fit and finish is outstanding. And with a slimmer profile scope, it doesn't look half bad. (I own a much older 92 in 32-20 for comparison.)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That rifle-style stock works fine with light-recoiling rifles; my Low Wall .44 is very pleasant to shoot, even with full-power loads. But it's an orthopedist's wet dream on something like a .45/70. After shooting my B78, I was bruised and sore for days.
It didn't stay with me long.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (benchman, bjc68, BALLISTIK, 35, 8 invisible), 1,223 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,240
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.