Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Comparing Leupold with NF, is like comparing a Yugo to an M1 Abrams.

Fixed. grin

What failures have you had with SWFA scopes that make you say that? It's a bit of an extreme claim, if you ask me. Unless you've tested both scopes using the same testing methods, and more than just a sample of one of each, you can't really use a specific test of one scope as a valid metric. IME, SWFA scopes are extremely durable. I have a friend who's son was recently out during the late season hunting in the elk hills, and when he went to cross an icy creek bed his foot slipped out from under him on an ice-covered boulder. He unintentionally threw his rifle like you'd throw a stick when playing fetch with a dog, and the Ruger M77 Hawkeye with SWFA 6x scope landed elevation-turret first on a large boulder, before clunking and clanking and skipping across the boulders in the creek bed. The rifle and scope (particularly the ele turret!) acquired some serious scars. When he went to check zero on the rig he needed to make a 0.3 MRAD correction to get back on zero. Whether this slight shift was due to mounts, action screws/bedding, or scope internals I don't know. But for a rifle and scope to take a beating like that and have only shifted zero slightly over an inch at 100, that's pretty impressive.

That’s impressive and maybe I misrepresented my position but I am also a fan and owner of SWFA scopes. But I still don’t think they are in the same league with NF when it comes to durability and reliability.

And it’s funny but since you picked Leupold when you posted, what would you say if I told you I had virtually the exact same experience with a Leupold scope only it landed on the ocular bell and crushed it. Glass also cracked somewhat but not all the way through and the scope amazingly held zero. Leupold warranty replaced it despite its age.

There are a lot of good scopes out there, but there is a reason the agencies with the big bucks that do their own testing, and that actually depend on performance like their lives might be in the balance because it might be use NF...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Fixed. grin

What failures have you had with SWFA scopes that make you say that? It's a bit of an extreme claim, if you ask me. Unless you've tested both scopes using the same testing methods, and more than just a sample of one of each, you can't really use a specific test of one scope as a valid metric. IME, SWFA scopes are extremely durable. I have a friend who's son was recently out during the late season hunting in the elk hills, and when he went to cross an icy creek bed his foot slipped out from under him on an ice-covered boulder. He unintentionally threw his rifle like you'd throw a stick when playing fetch with a dog, and the Ruger M77 Hawkeye with SWFA 6x scope landed elevation-turret first on a large boulder, before clunking and clanking and skipping across the boulders in the creek bed. The rifle and scope (particularly the ele turret!) acquired some serious scars. When he went to check zero on the rig he needed to make a 0.3 MRAD correction to get back on zero. Whether this slight shift was due to mounts, action screws/bedding, or scope internals I don't know. But for a rifle and scope to take a beating like that and have only shifted zero slightly over an inch at 100, that's pretty impressive.

That’s impressive and maybe I misrepresented my position but I am also a fan and owner of SWFA scopes. But I still don’t think they are in the same league with NF when it comes to durability and reliability.

And it’s funny but since you picked Leupold when you posted, what would you say if I told you I had virtually the exact same experience with a Leupold scope only it landed on the ocular bell and crushed it. Glass also cracked somewhat but not all the way through and the scope amazingly held zero. Leupold warranty replaced it despite its age.

There are a lot of good scopes out there, but there is a reason the agencies with the big bucks that do their own testing, and that actually depend on performance like their lives might be in the balance because it might be use NF...

I'd say that I'm not shocked. I mostly inserted "Leupold" into your statement as a jab at the Leup fanboys. grin Despite the fact that the older Leupolds held zero very well, an anecdotal sample of one doesn't say much about the lineup in general. The same can be said about the videos testing a single scope. I would agree that NF scopes are likely the most durable and reliable of any scopes made, but the difference in reliability between NF and something like a SWFA fixed or Bushy LRHS isn't as large as you were making it out to be, IMO.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Jordan.. appreciate your response.
I checked the scopes you mentioned and I feel I better clarify my position a bit more!!
Despite me saying I’ll likely own one unfortunately there’s no way I could do 3k ish for a single scope..
My only option would be to find a used model for sub 1500 or to get lucky and find a demo or the like Doug is blowing out for not much more.
I’ve looked closely at several recently in the classifieds for 1300-1500 but just haven’t pulled the trigger.
Part of that is I just don’t their lineup well enough.

I will definitely be fishing from the used/discontinued section of the pond tho, and I have no problems with that..
I don’t need new or the best
Any used options you’d recommend Specifically for rimfire 50-300+ yards?
Thanks again

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Fixed. grin

I'd say that I'm not shocked. I mostly inserted "Leupold" into your statement as a jab at the Leup fanboys. grin Despite the fact that the older Leupolds held zero very well, an anecdotal sample of one doesn't say much about the lineup in general. The same can be said about the videos testing a single scope. I would agree that NF scopes are likely the most durable and reliable of any scopes made, but the difference in reliability between NF and something like a SWFA fixed or Bushy LRHS isn't as large as you were making it out to be, IMO.

It’s not about a single video or a single scope. It’s about how those scopes are made and assembled and tested. Look it up yourself and if you still think they are the same quality as any other scope there’s really not much I can say to change your mind - or even care to to be honest as it doesn’t affect me in the least what anybody else chooses to use. We all walk our own paths.

Take care...

George

Last edited by Dryfly24; 02/10/20.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Had an SHV-F1 for a while. Rock solid tracking, return to zero and zero retention. Good scope.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Ive dialled mine literally thousands of times culling commercially and recreationally over the last 5 years and banged it around all over the place.

Its never lost zero and dials perfectly still. Its on a .223 (3-10 power). MOA reticle. Perfect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Pretty good deals show up occasionally on NXS 5.5-22's, especially when they have the NP-R1 or NP-R2 reticles, which would be great for what you're looking for. Depending on whether they have high speed/zero stop, prices can be 11-1300.00.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Oh yeah these are IMO the toughest scopes i have used and tracking is solid too but they have their downsides with heavy weight and mid-grade optics But you dont hear that mentioned much from all the fanboys......Hb

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hate to be this guy but I have a 3-10 SHV that I’m questioning right now. Last fall my hunting load in my light 308 was stacking 130gr TTSX into about 5/8” at 100. Last outing with the same gun / load was printing 1.5-2”. Nothing changed with my rig just the group size.

I pulled the scope off and verified mounts and fasteners were all good. Installed a known good Mark 4 3.5-10 and will see WTF on my next session.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by aalf

Pretty good deals show up occasionally on NXS 5.5-22's, especially when they have the NP-R1 or NP-R2 reticles, which would be great for what you're looking for. Depending on whether they have high speed/zero stop, prices can be 11-1300.00.

Aalf.. I think that exactly describes the last one or two I was looking at.
If I could find one for 11-1200 I’d likely jump in the water

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Aviator
Are these scopes solid? Has anyone ever had issues with them?

I got (1), works as good as all my leupolds, just waaaay heavier

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Aviator
Are these scopes solid? Has anyone ever had issues with them?

I got (1), works as good as all my leupolds, just waaaay heavier

grin

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan.. appreciate your response.
I checked the scopes you mentioned and I feel I better clarify my position a bit more!!
Despite me saying I’ll likely own one unfortunately there’s no way I could do 3k ish for a single scope..
My only option would be to find a used model for sub 1500 or to get lucky and find a demo or the like Doug is blowing out for not much more.
I’ve looked closely at several recently in the classifieds for 1300-1500 but just haven’t pulled the trigger.
Part of that is I just don’t their lineup well enough.

I will definitely be fishing from the used/discontinued section of the pond tho, and I have no problems with that..
I don’t need new or the best
Thanks again

The NXS 3-15x F1 or SHV 4-16x F1 would be good options, but honestly in that price range I’d just stick with the LRTS.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Fixed. grin

It’s not about a single video or a single scope. It’s about how those scopes are made and assembled and tested. Look it up yourself and if you still think they are the same quality as any other scope there’s really not much I can say to change your mind - or even care to to be honest as it doesn’t affect me in the least what anybody else chooses to use. We all walk our own paths.

Take care...

George

George,

I’m not sure how you got that from what I said. I’m aware of how NF scopes are made and tested, and as I said, they are probably the most durable/reliable scopes made, but I don’t believe that the next step down in durability is nearly as far as you’re implying it is.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A test exclusive to one means nothing of another...

The differences in construction between SHV and NSX are?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by joshf303
They’ve given me the same amount of problems as the NXSs, ATACRs, etc...

Still waiting for those MIL reticles in the 3-10.

Any plans of this??? I want badly to jump on MD’s 3-10 that he had listed the other day, but the MOA kept me from it...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
A test exclusive to one means nothing of another...

The differences in construction between SHV and NSX are?

SHV:
Entry-level Nightforce® riflescope
Developed for all around use
High-Quality glass with simplified features
Most popular is the MOAR reticle
ZeroSet™ elevation or capped adjustments

NXS:
Hard-use Nightforce® product line
Legacy product line that established Nightforce within the marketplace
Used by elite military snipers and warfighters
High-quality glass and features
Positive clicks for windage and elevation dialing
ZeroStop™ elevation adjustment

NX8:
New generation Nightforce® product line with NXS-type ruggedness in a mid-range F1 option
8x magnification zoom ratio
Compact and lightweight
High-quality glass and features
Built for extreme durability

ATACR:
Highest level product Nightforce® has to offer
Most advanced technology features
Used by long range competitors, elite military units and extreme long range hunters
ED Glass with high performance features
ZeroStop™ /ZeroHold™ elevation adjustments
Power Throw Lever integrated to magnification ring
Digillum™ – digital reticle illumination
Flip-up caps standard

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
W
wsq Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
To much effort is put into hunting a wall hanger buck for me to be using a cheap scope. I’ve used most all some with better glass than the nightforce but the overall package it’s nightforce for me I’m on my first one but think there will be more.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wsq
To much effort is put into hunting a wall hanger buck for me to be using a cheap scope. I’ve used most all some with better glass than the nightforce but the overall package it’s nightforce for me I’m on my first one but think there will be more.

Oh no, you are going to be hooked. They are like pringles...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a few and have had a few more pass through my hands. I have a standard non illuminated forceplex 3-10 and a 4-14 f1 (both shv) currently and have used them extensively in lots of different weather, both have been banged around on my snowmachine and in my skiff and hauled up mountains. Both of them have held zero and returned to zero flawlessly.

I probably don’t shoot as much as some guys but I do try to get out most weekends, living in Alaska I get a lot of field time for hunting, for moose I get an entire month in the fall and an entire month in the winter, I can hunt caribou for months on end. On top of all that I make a few trips each year. I’m only saying that to point out that my guns/scopes spend a lot of time out each year.

I have a pretty ambitious hunting plan this year so I recently sold off one of the shv 3-10s I had and will be ordering an nxs 2.5-10 from Doug this week, tomorrow probably, mostly because I want to match the MILr reticle to the one in my 4-14f1 and the nxs 2.5-10 seems to check pretty much every box for me:

-compact size to fit on my short action kimber
-good magnification range
-sfp I keep it dialed down while walking
-mil reticle/dial
-zero stop
-slightly lighter than an shv 3-10

Seems about perfect for my needs.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (222Sako, 1minute, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,694
Posts18,494,150
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.