Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
In fact, he had many,.... sad to say that after all of his travels, his adventures, and his writing, he arrived at the conclusive one.

I guess he learned more than was healthy.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
running to catch a plane, B., but seriously I am shocked that you are really disaffected enough to buy into the conspiracy fever swamps. Rationally, you know that anyone with a nodding acquaintance of politics, economics and/or the media can figure out that (a)there are no real benficiaries; (b)the people the nutjobs think are benficiaries could accomplish their aims far more simply and cheaply; (c)no conspiracy requiring the coordination of thousands of people with disparate interests could ever succeed in the first place, much less be covered up from a hostile media; and, most importantly (d) there is some basic moral hollowness that leads conspiracy buffs to casually conclude that the American government would murder thousands of innocents to propogate some ridiculous pointless plot.

I think acceptance of such theories is a red flag....suggests need for serious help. And I can't tell if you're just pulling my chain or you're serious. Got to run.

When you get in line, remember to remove all metal objests from your pockets,.. take off your shoes,.. step to the side, hold very still with arms outstretched and allow the official to go over you with his wand,...

,.. and have a nice flight.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
lolol,... reminds me of a flight I took a coupla years ago.

I had a pen in my shirt pocket. This kid working security get's all serious,.. asks, "What's this?",.. removes the pen from my pocket,.. very studiously examines it,... unscrews it,.. takes the spring off the tip,.. stretches it back and forth a few times, wiggles the button on the cap back and forth a bit.

I let him do his thing for a minute,.. then I lean forward and quietly say, "It's a pen."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you get in line, remember to remove all metal objests from your pockets,.. take off your shoes,.. step to the side, hold very still with arms outstretched and allow the official to go over you with his wand,...

...and remember, you're doing this so that the terrorists have to WALK across the border!!

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
His 'Beat Generation" days, writings and novels died on or about the time you had your first taste of shine Bristoe!! Funny, you should bring him up though.Consider his writings influential, do you?? You've survived already near 5 years more than he did though so I figure you worked a few more things out that Ole' Jack was incapable of!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by isaac
His 'Beat Generation" days, writings and novels died on or about the time you had your first taste of shine Bristoe!! Funny, you should bring him up though.Consider his writings influential, do you?? You've survived already near 5 years more than he did though so I figure you worked a few more things out that Ole' Jack was incapable of!!

Not really influential (to me, anyway),.... just interesting. He was a unique character for his place in time.

American society had been totally transformed by WW2. Everybody realized it but nobody knew in exactly what manner.

The "beat generation" was an unexpected twist which emerged during that period. It was the beginning of America's original counterculture,... and it never really disappeared.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
But,.... but,.. then we won't get to vote for people like Fred Thompson and his cigar!

Where's the fun in that?!

You won't mind.

Most of us pay roughly half our income in various kinds of tax. If all that tax was gone, we'd be twice as rich.

But! Everybody we buy stuff from has half his income (i.e., the amount we pay for said stuff) confiscated too. Without that confiscation, market competition would force them to cut their prices approximately in half to compensate...which means we'd be four times as rich.

And the last estimate I heard said that government regulations of various sorts add approximately another factor of two to the price of everything we buy. Without those regulations, we'd be eight times as rich.

Of course, we'd be paying road tolls and private school tuition and private protection subscriptions--if we used roads or schools or protection, of course--but they'd come a lot cheaper from the private sector.

So...would you rather have Fred Thompson's cigar, or be eight times as rich?

Toldja you wouldn't mind.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
While maybe not yourself,he sure did influence a good number of very talented artists though. Last September my wife Karen and I spent 5 days in San Fran. While she went out for a day of partying with some friends, I solo'ed the city on foot and trolley. Spent a goodly amount of time in "Haight-Ashbury" trying to learn some stuff...and I did!! One of the stores was having one of their back room,"special-tea & wine tasting" book readings and discussions. The topic was your man Jack and the re-release of one of his books, mostly censored in 1957. I stepped in for about 5 minutes to check it out.I was much out of place and felt uncomfortable in my own skin so I left earlier than I wanted. He is still a powerful influence in the world of Haight residents. No telling what he could have accomplished had the alcohol not cut his life short.

Kinda what I meant with the smartass turmoil comment a few posts back!!

Last edited by isaac; 05/28/07.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Barak
But,.... but,.. then we won't get to vote for people like Fred Thompson and his cigar!

Where's the fun in that?!

You won't mind.

Most of us pay roughly half our income in various kinds of tax. If all that tax was gone, we'd be twice as rich.

But! Everybody we buy stuff from has half his income (i.e., the amount we pay for said stuff) confiscated too. Without that confiscation, market competition would force them to cut their prices approximately in half to compensate...which means we'd be four times as rich.

And the last estimate I heard said that government regulations of various sorts add approximately another factor of two to the price of everything we buy. Without those regulations, we'd be eight times as rich.

Of course, we'd be paying road tolls and private school tuition and private protection subscriptions--if we used roads or schools or protection, of course--but they'd come a lot cheaper from the private sector.

So...would you rather have Fred Thompson's cigar, or be eight times as rich?

I'll have to think.

He sho' look fine a'puffin onnat cigar!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who the hell is he going to declare war on? Al Quida? RP's strategy is no strategy....its a political position.

Isn't that what Baby Bush is doing? Global War on Terror? Where? Which terrorists? What is a terrorist? Most of the terrorists that carried out 9/11 were Saudis, Saudi Arabia has a huge anti-American population, should we declare war on them? What about Syrian terrorists? Iranian?

And if you think the democrats are afraid of gun control, you're not paying attention.

No, YOU haven't been paying attention. The Republican front runners are all pro gun control.

They intend to leverage the school shootings into a whole new generation of extremely intrusive gun control, under the guise of "safety" and "protecting the children".

Right. Just like the Republicans use 9/11 to enact greater restrictions on our freedoms. I'm amazed that you still don't see the similarity, but, as a lawyer, justification is part of your job, so I understand.

The bills have already been introduced, and will pass without strong Republican opposition.

You mean like the kind of strong Republican opposition to illegal aliens? Look, the fact remains that there is exactly ONE candidate that has unimpeachable consistency in his views and voting. He has stood against his own party when it was contradicting the Constitution, he has opposed ALL of the gun control proposals that have ever come along, and he wants to shrink government and has worked towards that end his entire career. But integrity and courage are no longer desirable qualities among the Republicans, so he is marginalized and ignored.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
interesting concept, but I don't think you can declare war on an informal organization or NGO. Any more than Iraq can declare war on its own insurgents. You fight them and kill them, but a war declaration is meant to trigger certain consequences when directed at a sovereign. When directed at a non-government, it just looks silly.

By precedent we have only declared war in the past against soviergn nations, but we have shown that we are more than willing to conduct combat operations against NGOs, for a myriad of reasons.

Article 1, Section 8 of the Constution shows no limit on the power of the Congress to declare war only against a soviergn nation; as I read it. The power to grant letters of Marque and Reprisal is specifically intended to allow the Congress to react to NGOs. Since the ability to enact legislation in regard to the above powers also resides in the Congress if a US Law prohibited the power of declaring war against an NGO such a law could have been easily changed post 9/11. Federalist 41 states "Security against foreign danger is one of the primitive objects of civil society. Is is an avowed and essential object of the American Union. The powers requisite for attaining it must be effectually confided to the federal councils."

Finally I highly doubt a declaration of war directed at the elimination of the terrorist organization known as Al-Qiada, it't members, etc. would have looked silly. Since the links between Al-Qiada and the Taliban government of Afghanistan were well know, and the Taliban continues to exist as an insurgency, nations that don't support our operations in Iraq (specifically the French and Germans) are providing large support to operations in Afghanistan. It would have looked like we knew who our enemy was and after the attacks on our economic infrastructure and citizens we were going to conduct a directed and properly measured response.

YMMV,
Bob

"This country, this world, the [human] race of which you and I are a part, is great at having consensuses that are in great error." Rep. John Dingell (D-MI)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nations that don't support our operations in Iraq (specifically the French and Germans) are providing large support to operations in Afghanistan
Hmmm! Didn't we whoop the Germans back in the 1940's, kind of like we whooped the Iraqi's a few years ago? Seems like the end of the war ain't the end of the fighting. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kerouac had the best idea, I'm afraid.

and what idea of Jack's was so good?
When I knew him in Tampa, he was drunk most of the time, or stoned. He went weeks without a sober, or coherent thought. Most of my memories of Jack K. are of him sleeping drunk on my brother's porch, after we brought him home from the Blue Boar.

Sam......

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by ebd10

No, YOU haven't been paying attention. The Republican front runners are all pro gun control.

They are? Hmmm in my neck of the woods, Thompson is running circles around his opponents and hasn't even announced yet. Thompson is running 2nd in Florida polls, first in Georgia straw polls and do we really need to run a poll in Tennessee? The second he announces, the Palmetto state, Bama and Mississippi will fall in line. Romney is humping the NRA's leg like a Jack Russell. That leaves Guiliani which would validate your statement if not for that pesky plural inference. Unless of course some of you still consider McCain a front runner. His campaign flat lined months ago, it's just no one has bothered to notify the next of kin.

Last edited by Foxbat; 05/28/07.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
His campaign flat lined months ago, it's just no one has bothered to notify the next of kin.

Eloquent, logical, with a bit of humor...welcome Foxbat

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by watch4bear
His campaign flat lined months ago, it's just no one has bothered to notify the next of kin.

Eloquent, logical, with a bit of humor...welcome Foxbat

Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading the site for a little while (mainly the rifle forum) and decided to throw my 2 cents into the pot. A good political debate, to me, is like a quart of Cherry Garcia to Rosie O'Donnell.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Foxbat

They are? Hmmm in my neck of the woods, Thompson is running circles around his opponents and hasn't even announced yet. Thompson is running 2nd in Florida polls, first in Georgia straw polls and do we really need to run a poll in Tennessee? The second he announces, the Palmetto state, Bama and Mississippi will fall in line. Romney is humping the NRA's leg like a Jack Russell. That leaves Guiliani which would validate your statement if not for that pesky plural inference. Unless of course some of you still consider McCain a front runner. His campaign flat lined months ago, it's just no one has bothered to notify the next of kin.

The former senator from Tennessee, Fred Thompson, who championed McCain-Feingold, promised that it would "help challengers reach a threshold of credibility when they want to challenge us in these races." Putting aside the ludicrous notion that 535 incumbent politicians sat down and tried to write a piece of legislation that would make it harder to get reelected, five years later there's no evidence electoral competition has increased. Sure, control of Congress turned over. But anyone who attributes the 2006 election to McCain-Feingold, as opposed to Bush-Cheney-Hastert-Frist, is delusional.

http://www.nysunpolitics.com/article/20

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
You fools need to think about what you are going to cause with your protest votes against the gop. The protest vote morons here in Colorado cost us both houses and the gov. now we can only hope and pray we get to keep our gun right till we can get the gop back into power. Plus not be taxed to death. They are busy trying to get around the law that keeps them from raising taxes here. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pumpgun
The protest vote morons here in Colorado cost us both houses and the gov...

Right. It was the voters' fault. It didn't have anything to do with the GOP abandoning their base, their platform, and their integrity, it was the VOTERS who screwed up. If anything, your statement has illustrated just how hopeless things have become.

www.oregonfirearms.org
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Foxbat

The former senator from Tennessee, Fred Thompson, who championed McCain-Feingold, promised that it would "help challengers reach a threshold of credibility when they want to challenge us in these races." Putting aside the ludicrous notion that 535 incumbent politicians sat down and tried to write a piece of legislation that would make it harder to get reelected, five years later there's no evidence electoral competition has increased. Sure, control of Congress turned over. But anyone who attributes the 2006 election to McCain-Feingold, as opposed to Bush-Cheney-Hastert-Frist, is delusional.

http://www.nysunpolitics.com/article/20

How exactly is McCain-Feingold germane to the claim I was disputing?

Of course that is the funny thing about Senators running for POTUS and why they seldom win. It's fairly easy to find some legislation that they have voted in favor of, during their career, to spotlight to one's favor. Though this election figures to be chock full of Senators as the front runners, so it may not be a handicap this go around.

FWIW I think Thompson was wrong on McCain-Feingold, but in the grand scheme of things his position on most issues is close enough to my own views. In the end I would much prefer him than someone like Odumbo or Hillary who's idea of America is as alien to mine as Marx to Jefferson.

Last edited by Foxbat; 05/28/07.

[Linked Image]

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (1_deuce, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 25 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,202
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.