Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Got the best deal on the wife's Tundra by buying one of the last of the model year, in inventory about two months after the next model year hit the showroom floor. About 12,000 bucks under sticker price. On the other hand, my Tacoma, I paid darn near sticker price...and they wouldn't budge. But it was exactly what I was looking for...plain jane base models are not that common apparently.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s crazy how different folks have such different experiences. I much prefer buying at Toyota because I have a reference on what is a good deal. I looked at F150’s this year and I couldn’t make sense of the pricing and discounts, they were all over the place. I finally told the sales manager that I can buy a new SR5 tundra 4wd for 35k cash, can you come close on a similarly equipped F150, was told I better buy the tundra. So I did. For 34k.

I’ve bought three new toyota pickups in the last 15 years. I think you start with factory invoice price which you can get online. . Dealer price is invoice plus markups, don’t look at that. Forget MSRP. Any Toyota incentives,rebates,cash back are on top of and totally separate from your negotiation with the dealer.

There are fees on top of factory invoice: destination, holdback, and Toyota advertising fee. Negotiate in these fees, they should be standard numbers. If you pay the fees, it’s a fair deal, if you get them to eat the advertising fee it’s a great deal.

I insist on less than 5 miles on the ODO, I won’t pay for ANY dealer add ons, options, etc.

I find it’s easier to work with the internet sales guys, their customers usually already know what they want so they don’t spend time on the lot showing you stuff, just sell the cars. Get the deal in writing before you show up and don’t budge. Study their factory invoice line item prices with your print out from your research. They will probably try and switch it for the dealer invoice numbers which include markup.

Last edited by SeanD; 02/11/20.

Sean
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Normally I like to haggle but with Toyota I recommend the costco process as well. It saved me more than I could do on my own and I know after trying a few dealerships. Only downside was their dealer was an hour away. highly recommend as an easy option and process. Watch for up sales once your their because price is already determined and they want to try to make a little more

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Contact your credit union... or mine. smile

At mine, you can simply join the alumni assn for $35 and they will let you become a member of the credit union.

With 30k studens on campus, that's a lot of customers. The dealers know that and want to maintain the relationship.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last time we were auto shopping, could not get Honda or Toyota dealers to budge. Ended up buying the same class auto at Mazda for $5000 less. Happy with the deal and the auto.

That said, Toyo Tacos keep their value over time like crazy.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Buying/Selling and trading usually comes pretty natural for me. I like it and have a knack for it. These Toyota dealers around me are the exception. Never bought a Toyota but the woman wants one so here I am. I know a lot of guys swear by Toyota here and thought I’d ask what works to get the best deal on them.
Around here there are at least 5 Toyota dealers and they barely will budge off of the initial price they quote. I don’t get it...does everyone pay sticker or near that on these things?

Wait until May to July time frame. They'll want to reduce inventory.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
We’ve bought 2 Sequoias and a FJ. Tried to buy a Tacoma but walked over $200. I found I could get a better price using Consumer Reports buying service and Truecar. End of month and patience help. If Toyota made a real 3/4 ton diesel, we would drive nothing but Toyotas. Tundra fan boys, please don’t try to argue your truck will tow like a 2500 Duramax...... Tundras/Sequoias are simply in a different class.

Last edited by elkaddict; 02/12/20.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
The only Toyota I’ve ever been able to buy was in the Winter and the end of the month. They must not have met their quota because they priced it well below the market. If you’re buying a truck just get ready to pay “their” price. Good luck , Tacoma’s are great if you don’t need rear legroom.

We bought a Toyota the last couple of days in December. They wanted it moved and they gave us a more than fair price. We traded it again 3 years later and we got back all we paid for it.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Timing might be everything. A month ago the wife tried to by a new 2019 Toyota 4Runner thinking she could get a good deal on last years model.
Told her what to offer $ and the salesperson said no way. So she bought a Subaru.
Just yesterday I heard the dealer advertising a bigger discount on leftover 2019’s than what the wife would have paid. Manufacturers incentives I imagine.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Timing might be everything. A month ago the wife tried to by a new 2019 Toyota 4Runner thinking she could get a good deal on last years model.
Told her what to offer $ and the salesperson said no way. So she bought a Subaru.
Just yesterday I heard the dealer advertising a bigger discount on leftover 2019’s than what the wife would have paid. Manufacturers incentives I imagine.

Sounds like it.

I asked how he beat everyone else by $1,000, and the sales manager said, “at any given moment, I’ve got roughly $8 million worth of inventory on the lot. Sometimes we’ll be higher, sometimes we’ll be lowest. I’m just asking that you give us a call when you’re lookin’ for a car.”

Surely enough, when I was looking for another Toyota 6 years later, they wouldn’t touch the price I got elsewhere. They told me to take that deal if I could get it, & wished me well.

It all depends where they are in units sold, when it’s crunch time.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
Toyota,s are no better than anything else .....I have owned several Toyota pickups....They all went back for problems....My wife has a new 2019 Highlander ....She hates it... Cheap made and way behind the big three in refinement......They are like a Tikka Rifle !!!!!!way over Hyped.....

My wife just bought a new Highlander it's louder inside with wind and road noise than my old R model Mack with a straight pipe Her Sienna van was the same way.Before She bought the van She had a Ford Explorer that's is 10 times the vehicle the Highlander is.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (160user, 007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,628
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.