-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have told my son that I would give him my 226. His Mom moved to NY several years ago and he spends some time there.

Is the 226 legal in NY and what about 15rd magazines. I have both LE marked and preban.

What about the Mini-14? Is it legal with preban hi-caps?

Thanks in advance.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm assuming you're talking a Sig 226? If he's going to possess a handgun in New York he'd best do more than "spend some time there." If he's a non-resident he likely won't be able to get a pistol permit in New York State. NY also will not recognize one from another state. This lack of reciprocity is the reason I have a Pennsylvania CCW in addition to my New York one. As far as I know, the Mini-14 shouldn't be a problem.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes, I am talking about my Sig 226. So are you saying that to possess a handgun in NY-state you need to be a resident? You need a pistol permit/concealed carry permit?

Do you know if the pre-ban 15 round magazines are OK?

Forgive me I live in Montana and the laws are very gun friendly here.

Thanks

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
To LEGALLY own and carry a handgun in NY state, you must possess a NY pistol permit. Must be a legal NY state resident.

My understanidng is that pre ban mags are ok.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
To expand on it a little: In NYS you need to have a permit to possess a handgun legally under any circumstances, even in your home. This is state law that is handled on a county by county basis. Everything seems to be in the hands of the county court system. In some areas county judges have seen fit to apply their own arbitrary restrictions on the process. There are many jurisdictions now where it is nearly, if not completely impossible to get a permit to carry concealed. Although this is of questionable legality, no one seems willing to challenge it. It would be very inadvisable for someone from out of state to carry a handgun in NYS. That said, it seems they're frequently finding some trucker at the border returning from Canada with a handgun in his truck. Never mind the risk he took going into Canada with it. Last I knew, illegal possession of a handgun was supposed to be a mandatory year in jail. I've never heard of anyone getting it, though.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
4x4,
Yes, he will need a permit just own a handgun in N.Y.

There are different permits for different situations. Possession only (IE. in the home), limited carry (what I used to have) [hunting, trapping, target shooting], or full carry (IE. concealed carry).

When I got my NY permit in the 80's it was a royal PITA. Ream of paperwork, affidavits from 4 different upstanding people in your community who weren't family or connected with the gun trade attesting to your good character, wait was 3 to 4 months IIRC.

This is how it used to be, don't think it's changed much (in all likelihood it's got worse). YMMV,

Dave (ex-UPSTATER)

Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they want a war let it begin here.

Captain John Parker, commander of the militiamen at Lexington, Massachusetts, on sighting British Troops (attributed), April 19, 1775
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The previous posters have about summed it up. The permits handled county by county, at the judge's discretion. I have a hunting/target shooting permit. In my county, it is fairly easy to get one of these, impossible to get concealed carry. The next county over, few permits of any kind are issued, and the waiting period is often close to a year (I waited 7 weeks.) Every time ou buy or sell a pistol. it $3.oo and another two trips to the Sheriff's office. The permit is $109 in my county.
Will

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll give $100 bucks to anyone who can go to sec 400.00 of the Penal Law and show me where there are any but 1) Carry 2)Premises 3)Employment related carry. There AIN'T NO LIMITED CARRY PERMITS!!! Judges (on their own) put that on top of the permits. They hold no water under the law and if someone really chose to fight it, they'd win.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

54 members (6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 907brass, 808outdoors, 7 invisible), 14,361 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,998
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.