-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Now and then one needs to step back and not be too quick to blame this or that for a disappointment. As some of you know I've been plinking pigs over the years with a Contender and CB shorts. They worked because I could put them where it mattered.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Note the label style on the ammo box please. Time passed and my supply was getting low so in good faith I orders another brick and it arrived with the new blue label. Didn't give it a lot of thought at the time, but then one day I put some to the test. Yuk. 'Curse the new product' was my thought. Tried some CCI .22 Short Target with the same results. Dang it all. The old stuff shot very well, thank you. Starting with a clean barrel at 25 yards with a red dot sight.

Well, of late I've been having some vision issues and it has been quite vexing. Bad enough that I finally took the red dot sight off the gun due to the dot's appearance of being a bowl of spaghetti. Put an ancient Leupy M8-2.5x Compact on it and today was the day to get it zeroed. As it typical the first shot thru the clean barrel went wild in the streets. #1 far lower left. Then it got a little better. Hmmmmm...adjusted the sight and went a step further.

The next three targets were shot in numerical order, #2 & 3 using CB Short and the 4th with Target Shorts. Target #3 is a perfect 1/2" group. #4 illustrates something of interest. Put two in nearly the same hole and decide you need to adjust the bags? Sure....and put the next three in another hole. -laffin' here-

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might try leaving your rifle dirty. Many times 22's like a dirty bore.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Damn near every time in my experience. When I used the gun frequently it did not get cleaned very often. Moved on to a .30 cal lead slinger awhile back. Most guns shooting lead do better after a fouling shot or two.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice shooting Dan. I do like that little 2.5X Leupold.

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
nice

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
the nice part about getting old is that you dont worry about the same schitt you used to worry about ... you worry about NEW schitt that didnt even occur to you before!

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think someone needs to neck the .22 short down to .17 and give it a snazzy name, like .17 Rimfire Creedmoor.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dan, I've found that for my eyes, pretty much the same correction that gives me the clearest distance image (about +1) also cleans up those red dots. Your solution is good too, as long as you're able to focus the scope to your vision anyway. Some of mine are getting close to the end of the threads!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I like the idea of the .17 RF Creedmoor Short, will have to ponder that a bit. Maybe even a BB cap Creedmoor? Wait, I already got one of those! Imagine this if you can. .17 caliber shooting round balls, primer powered with a 7.5" twist on 12 grooves. I think if I were to reinvent such a thing I'd stay with the .22 brass and call it the .17 FYVM Creedmoor Short RF. Or .17 FYVMCSRF for short. Pun intended.

SHAZAAM! My .17 BB gun target.

The gun:

Them German gun builders were pretty special back in the day, no? That's a 50' offhand target by the way.

Well, on to more serious matters, I zeroed the second one today, an old Ruger 10/22. Stock gun except for the trigger and a bedding job done 25 years back. It's always been finicky with the ammo it does well with and for many years the only thing it shot worth a toot was WW Power Points. I still have a bundle of the old production, but the newer stuff isn't quite as good. OTOH, it seems to like CCI SV a fair bit and pigs don't quibble much about being off a 1/4" from point of aim. So anyway, there I was on the line this AM and figured to burn up a wee bit of ammo to get the scope zeroed.

First 3 shots were a diagonal of about .35", 1-1/2" low and left. Twiddled the dials and it put 3 in a similar sized group. Went to target #2 and put 3 in one ragged hole, a triangle with about .375" spread. Twiddled the knobs just a wee bit. So OK, time for some Wolf MT. 3 shots in .15" dead center. So I'm smiling here. grin

Pappy, the problem I'm having with the eye (right) is the result of a rather aggressive Chemo/Radiation therapy I experienced about 14 years ago. Radiation was zeroed from the side and front of my left eye, about 1/2" behind and above the orbit center. I'd won the lymphoma lottery (two styles) in the eye. Long term results led to cataracts and surgery, plus a raging case of dry eye. A few years after the cataract surgery the polarity axis on my right eye became mobile. Took awhile for the docs to figure that out, but the short version is that some days I see pretty well, others, not worth a bucket of crap. The astigmatism is the thing that queered the red dot theory. I like them and have used them for some time on several guns, but to quote the raven, "Never More."

Did I say how much I like Wolf MT and SK Standard Plus LR ammo? I have a good supply and they are one and the same. It is the first time I've shot Wolf in the gun and I'm pleased to see there is something out there as functional as the Power Point of old.

I am..........disturbed.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Your supply of wolf MT- is it newer or older? Newer stuff, within the last year or two- is made by eley. I only have experience with the SK made wolf- and am a fan. I have not bought any of the newer eley made wolf as i have read mixed reviews which have generally said that the eley made wolf isn’t as good as the SK made wolf was.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It be sourced from SK and I've had it for quite a spell. When that source dried up I went to SK. Identical in all regards. 3 bricks and change in the locker.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Damn near every time in my experience. When I used the gun frequently it did not get cleaned very often. Moved on to a .30 cal lead slinger awhile back. Most guns shooting lead do better after a fouling shot or two.

That’s been my experience as well.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
It be sourced from SK and I've had it for quite a spell. When that source dried up I went to SK. Identical in all regards. 3 bricks and change in the locker.

Gotcha.

I don’t see the need to bother trying the new wolf considering how well SK preforms.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Nor do I. The label isn't near as important than the contents and I"m not inclined to fix stuff that ain't broke. Not too long ago I was fooling around with my Contender during work on the .22 GTC and shot a 5 shot group of .09" with Wolf of the SK persuasion. Hardly gets any better so far as I'm concerned.

I am..........disturbed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,395
Posts18,488,841
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.