Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
John - would you be so kind as to go down to the "Reloading Software" forum and check in on the "CUP to PSI" thread? Thanks.

Last edited by 5sdad; 02/03/20.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I did.

Sounds like the same old stuff that's been argued ever since electronic pressure measurement became the standard for the industry.

The original post is interesting, because somebody's asking about how to correlate CUP and PSI so they can feed it into a computer program (QuickLoad) that provides pressure-simulations that often don't turn out to be all that accurate, for various reasons.

My reaction overall is that obviously (as Denton points out) there is indeed a pretty high level of correlation between CUP and PSI. But my other reaction is who cares, if the correlation merely gets fed into a computer program that introduces another level of variation?

I used QL quite a bit for a few years, but eventually drifted away. Even the directions say actual pressure-testing is preferable--or at least they did when I was still fooling with it.

So what kind of "help" are you asking for?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
John, sorry, I still can't find your post in that thread. I am concerned about the "If the rifle doesn't blow up, you're good to go" statement.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I didn't post on the thread, I posted here.

I read something like, "If the rifle doesn't blow up, you're good to go" all the time on the Internet. This obviously isn't always true. In fact, one of the local long-range shooters had a .338 Lapua blow up a couple-three years ago, after he'd been pushing handloads hard for a while. He bragged that it was just one of those "special" barrels, which would take more powder than others. It blew up while he was at the local 1000-yard range with several other people. Luckily no one was hurt.

I found out about it because I know the barrel maker. He called one day, asking if I knew the guy, since he lives in my little town, and I said yes. Turned out the barrelmaker (who's based in the Southwest) had been getting a bunch of requests for his special barrels from my part of Montana. And all of a sudden they ceased!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Did he get banned from the range?
I certainly think he should have been!!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
John, sorry, I still can't find your post in that thread. I am concerned about the "If the rifle doesn't blow up, you're good to go" statement.

I saw that and just shook my head in total wonderment. It seems that even on here people feel the need to ignore published data and post loads that are 2-3 grains over for bullet and caliber. Seems there is nothing wrong with it.
So I posed the question of how many had the pleasure/displeasure however you look at it of having a handgun blow up in their hand. Not 1 would admit to it except me.
What I got was that’s BS. Problem is when I asked one poster How he thought Ruger got a blown up Blackhawk cylinder with 4 live rounds in it apart to repair it, Crickets.
Told another poster that Ruger stated that there was 22.5 grains of ball powder in the load so no warranty, again Crickets.
So I guess best practices are dead and overloads are the norm. Sad isn’t it.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I think there have always been hotrodders, and they haven't gone away. Modern metallurgy protects most of them. Heard of a fellow in my hometown, now deceased from natural causes, who often loaded till the bolt opened hard, then backed off a grain or two. Have been told a rubber mallet was always in his shooting bag so he could get the bolt open when he hit his "pressure sign." I don't know what his primers looked like.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I’m such a reloading noob. I just buy a rifle hat delivers the speed I want within published data. Amazing Rick lets me post here.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Talus, we need newbies to keep the reloading industry alive and well for all of us. I hope you enjoy it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The stupid never stops. Not long ago, a well-known brass scrounger at our range blew up an AR with his handloads in
pick-up cases. I occasionally pick up a case or two from obvious factory ammo for use in setting up my trimmer or seaters, but never for loading; you just don't know where it's been or what's been done to it. I'm as cheap as the next guy, but I'm not crazy.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While it may be true that you don't KNOW where range brass has been, when I watch the guy next to me open two new boxes of Hornady factory 7 Rem Mag and take every one of them just to get on paper at 100 yards, then drop all 40 in the brass bucket, those cases go home with me! I weight sort them with other same brand cases, then partial size them just enough for a slight resistance on bolt closure, and use the money I saved for other components. I scrounge big time, but I limit the scrounging to stuff I can see is once fired factory brass.
Never had a problem.
And, I'll say it for you..."yet."

Practicing Risk Management in Business and Pleasure,
Rex

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
One thing to keep in mind hot rodding loads,as erosion starts building in the throat,the pressure is going to increase too.What was once shootable one day may not be so once that happens.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, as erosion begins pressures rise--probably due to the rougher throat.

It only starts to drop as erosion lengthens the throat considerably.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.02 for what it's worth? If one is frustrated by published load data they should consider inventing their own wildcat for which no data exists. Be a pioneer! Be bold! Make sure your insurance bills are paid. All of them.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The really silly part is that in many cases, pun inteneded, that extra three or four or five grains of powder only yields an extra forty or fifty fps, because the pressures are already up there, but the pressure really wakes up.

Getting my Oehler forty years ago was certainly an eye-opener. smile

Ted

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 59 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.