Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Morning all...

I've always thought this airframe was best suited for drug interdiction as well as a possible cheap training platform for WSO's. Never could understand the need for that back seat with limited ordinance capabilities especially since the A-10 carries so much more and the driver seems to handle all tasks extremely well.

Performance envelopes are minimal at best for CAS aircraft especially in very hostile environments therefore making them cannon fodder with low survive ability IMO.

My gut tells me there's a new Warthog concept out there somewhere maybe even in trial test mode awaiting DOD/AF approval, just hope it's a better idea than this pee shooter !

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
If someone needs "light attack aircraft" they have already been invented. Today's version is called the Apache.

All else is twaddle.

Should probably add the Kiowa to the stable, yes

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back in time a ways I had occasion to chuckle at the generosity we gave the S. Vietnamese Air Force. They had some choppers of course and some Skyraiders. Lo and behold they also had some A-37s. That was the T-37 Tweetie Bird with a couple of hard points on each wing. Good enough for a pass or two on the enemy then head home for a brew. They couldn't hit a damn thing, but they sure were cute.

There are several missions suitable for aircraft in a combat role. One is served well by the likes of the B52 and B1, maybe even the B2. It's the "line out a grid box and annihilate it" mission.
Another is interdiction or an attack on a hard target with military value. This can be served in a number of ways, but entails countering air defense and like style obstacles. There is benefit to smart weapons in this role, as well as weapons with special attributes such as deep penetration (delayed fusing, shape charges and other odds and ends. Then along comes the close support mission, one specifically intended to engage enemy troops in contact with friendlies. This is not the place for big bombs. Precision delivery is required for cannon fire and/or rockets. One little oopsie and you just whacked your own troops.

In the pursuit of these roles it should be understood that certain issues face the crews carrying out the mission, and certain attributes of the delivery system are of importance. Stealth is cool when the air defense networks can be snookered by such things. It is totally irrelevant in close support roles. Everybody's cards are on the table for those slugfests. Of course there are things that can be done to foil the enemy's defense capability. Following the introduction of the SA7 in Vietnam all Army choppers typically engaged in direct combat ops had modifications done to the exhaust system which shielded the IR signature and made it impossible for them to lock onto us. All Army chopper shootdowns by the SA7 occurred before this modification was in place. Heavy AA cannons on the ground? Fly down in the mud and eliminate 90% of the risk. My point is there are ways and means, but no one should be under the illusion that one plane can do it all (KMA Mr. McNamara) or that we can dispose of the coordinated force application scheme. When troops are on the ground you don't need stealth or bombs. You do need systems that allow precise close in fire support, and a lot of it for that matter. It is not an arena where stealth matters, nor high speed, or anything related. It's mud, blood and beer time...roll up you sleeves and get to it.

I liked the Spad (A1E) and the A-6 and F4. I loved the B52. Only one that was of any use in the close support role was the A1E....and choppers. So what is close support? I was doing some of that one day just north of DaNang, Christmas day 1969. Our troops were pinned down in an enemy bunker complex and had a fair number of casualties. High tree cover voided the thought of using the Cobras due to the nature of HE Quick fusing. The only real option was to take out the bunkers from up close. Distance between the first bunker I engaged and friendlies was about 30 meters. I approached to a hover about 150' over the friendlies and ripped off a 3 second burst with the minigun into the bunker entrance and gun ports. Troops bitched about my brass and links falling on them like rain, but they weren't getting shot at from that bunker any longer. Bunker #2 got a C4 satchel charge dropped on the roof, etc. etc. Then I started picking up wounded and delivering them to the Evac hospital. You can't do that stuff with a cute little "light attack" aircraft for the very same reason(s) the Cobras were not at play that day.

On another occasion in support of Force Recon in the A Shau Valley the radio man said "shoot my smoke". How far do you think you can throw a smoke grenade when hunkered down in a fox hole? One little piece of rocket shrapnel bounced off his radio and nicked his weenie, but they ALL came home that day. Not the job for an A6 and 750# bombs is it? The A-10 is the distilled essence of our experience in Nam and I'd suggest if we are going to engage in bar room brawls in the future they should still be in production. They are remarkably capable, tough and perfectly suited for such chicanery..

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Damn. If I ever get the chance to meet you, beers are on me.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
If someone needs "light attack aircraft" they have already been invented. Today's version is called the Apache.

All else is twaddle.

Being as how I'm an old school scout pilot I sorta thought that went without saying. Kamikazes can be a grunt's best friend. I flew a -58 many years ago, but very much preferred the OH6. In typical DoD fashion they shut down production after the initial contract was completed. Local sheriff's dept. is still flying one...complete with bullet hole patches...50 years later.

A1, OH6, A10....those dingbats in Washington just don't get it.....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
That was a good post Dan. Even a dummy like myself understood it.

So, there is no room in the stable for a horse like this turbo prop? Not to replace any existing airframe but to enhance our capability?

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here here, Dan. You KNOW I'm going to agree.

I didn't get to drop ordnance, but I did have the final say on what was to be dropped, by whom, and exactly where. And if it went to hell, it was my fault, period. As Dan said, when you have troops fighting at bayonet range, you do not drop a weapon with a 100-yard kill radius. You need sniper-quality delivery in volumes like a hailstorm.

Air to mud and CAS are tough, perhaps THE toughest job to be done from the air. There likely is no perfect answer, but attack helos and purpose-built CAS fighters like the A-10 are the closest we've come so far.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

All else is twaddle.

Being as how I'm an old school scout pilot I sorta thought that went without saying. Kamikazes can be a grunt's best friend. I flew a -58 many years ago, but very much preferred the OH6. In typical DoD fashion they shut down production after the initial contract was completed. Local sheriff's dept. is still flying one...complete with bullet hole patches...50 years later.

All true, but it is REALLY hard to spend gargantuan defense budgets on old, out of date technology, no matter how effective it is. And Congress critters can't reelected without new big ticket items for their districts.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Who wanted these planes?

I mean.....Special Forces does not normally come to shore on a Nimitz air craft carrier do they?

Is there any doubt who is in country if an Apache or a Warthog is shooting at you?

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Back in time a ways I had occasion to chuckle at the generosity we gave the S. Vietnamese Air Force. They had some choppers of course and some Skyraiders. Lo and behold they also had some A-37s. That was the T-37 Tweetie Bird with a couple of hard points on each wing. Good enough for a pass or two on the enemy then head home for a brew. They couldn't hit a damn thing, but they sure were cute.

There are several missions suitable for aircraft in a combat role. One is served well by the likes of the B52 and B1, maybe even the B2. It's the "line out a grid box and annihilate it" mission.
Another is interdiction or an attack on a hard target with military value. This can be served in a number of ways, but entails countering air defense and like style obstacles. There is benefit to smart weapons in this role, as well as weapons with special attributes such as deep penetration (delayed fusing, shape charges and other odds and ends. Then along comes the close support mission, one specifically intended to engage enemy troops in contact with friendlies. This is not the place for big bombs. Precision delivery is required for cannon fire and/or rockets. One little oopsie and you just whacked your own troops.

In the pursuit of these roles it should be understood that certain issues face the crews carrying out the mission, and certain attributes of the delivery system are of importance. Stealth is cool when the air defense networks can be snookered by such things. It is totally irrelevant in close support roles. Everybody's cards are on the table for those slugfests. Of course there are things that can be done to foil the enemy's defense capability. Following the introduction of the SA7 in Vietnam all Army choppers typically engaged in direct combat ops had modifications done to the exhaust system which shielded the IR signature and made it impossible for them to lock onto us. All Army chopper shootdowns by the SA7 occurred before this modification was in place. Heavy AA cannons on the ground? Fly down in the mud and eliminate 90% of the risk. My point is there are ways and means, but no one should be under the illusion that one plane can do it all (KMA Mr. McNamara) or that we can dispose of the coordinated force application scheme. When troops are on the ground you don't need stealth or bombs. You do need systems that allow precise close in fire support, and a lot of it for that matter. It is not an arena where stealth matters, nor high speed, or anything related. It's mud, blood and beer time...roll up you sleeves and get to it.

I liked the Spad (A1E) and the A-6 and F4. I loved the B52. Only one that was of any use in the close support role was the A1E....and choppers. So what is close support? I was doing some of that one day just north of DaNang, Christmas day 1969. Our troops were pinned down in an enemy bunker complex and had a fair number of casualties. High tree cover voided the thought of using the Cobras due to the nature of HE Quick fusing. The only real option was to take out the bunkers from up close. Distance between the first bunker I engaged and friendlies was about 30 meters. I approached to a hover about 150' over the friendlies and ripped off a 3 second burst with the minigun into the bunker entrance and gun ports. Troops bitched about my brass and links falling on them like rain, but they weren't getting shot at from that bunker any longer. Bunker #2 got a C4 satchel charge dropped on the roof, etc. etc. Then I started picking up wounded and delivering them to the Evac hospital. You can't do that stuff with a cute little "light attack" aircraft for the very same reason(s) the Cobras were not at play that day.

On another occasion in support of Force Recon in the A Shau Valley the radio man said "shoot my smoke". How far do you think you can throw a smoke grenade when hunkered down in a fox hole? One little piece of rocket shrapnel bounced off his radio and nicked his weenie, but they ALL came home that day. Not the job for an A6 and 750# bombs is it? The A-10 is the distilled essence of our experience in Nam and I'd suggest if we are going to engage in bar room brawls in the future they should still be in production. They are remarkably capable, tough and perfectly suited for such chicanery..

On behalf of the boys on the ground 50 years ago, their kids, and their grandchildren, we thank you Dan.

That is very much the picture I imagined in my head of the environment. Since it is highly unlikely they will ever set up a new production line for the A 10 (with or without the GAU-8). I do hope a replacement is in the pipeline.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Isn’t it true that the USAF has been trying to dump the A10 and CAS duties period?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't see it Jim, at least not in the context of those little fairy wagons shown in the OP. I mentioned the strategies associated with air defense suppression earlier and one of the issues that floats to the top in my mind is the radar cross section of a propeller. It's huge...and a shoulder fired AA missile that tracks radar rather than IR signature has an easy target IMO. I may be overstating the significance of that, but the other thing that comes to mind is the very limited weapons capability they have. Look at the pic below, count the hard points on the wings and the style of weaponry.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Back in the day the Marines flew the OV10 is a different configuration that the USAF. They had miniguns, 5" rockets and on occasion carried small bombs. The artwork below illustrates they were a bit crazier than their AF counterparts. Note the wing stubs that suggest machine gun barrels? They carried those and miniguns on pods under the belly. Diversity has it's place
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Another silly aspect of the OP aircraft is, uh, 2 seats? Why? Perhaps they want to provide more POWs down the road? The OV10 had 2 seats also, but it's primary mission was forward air control (FAC) and an observer was/is a useful addition, even if not perfectly necessary.

If decided that props are OK, how about having a substantial weapons payload capability. Pic below illustrates this. Bombs, napalm, cannons/machine guns (see the barrels on the wing?) etc, etc...extra fuel and on and on and on....

[Linked Image from 263i3m2dw9nnf6zqv39ktpr1-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That Marine Bronco art is a little bit fanciful. I doubt any were ever configured such. Air Force OV-10s had M-60s in the sponsons, but some commanders prohibited loading any ammo for them to prevent FACs from going "cowboy" instead of FACing. The normal load was a centerline fuel tank and two rocket pods. Without the tanks, the Bronco had limited loiter/transit time. With them, they were overloaded with any other ordnance. The joke was you could carry bombs, but you'd only have enough range to attack your own airfield.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Those look like they'd be lots of fun to fly in an air show!

Politics is War by Other Means
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If an A-10 only has one man cockpit what do the cute little turds need two? Seems like the space/weight would be better used.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Those look like they 'd be lots of fun to fly in an air show!

They remind me very much of the T-28's that were configured with 2 .50 caliber guns and 4 hard points for bombs. Pipsqueak little peashooters became totally useless with the introduction by the NVA of shoulderfired missiles. USAF went over with them in Project Jungle Jim but soon gave them over to the VNAF, the Laos, the Thais and the Cambodian.

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
A10's should be replaced with A10's.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fanciful art yes, I never saw one carrying bombs. I did see many packing the 5" Zuni rockets in pods and wind hard points and equipped with minigun pods. Don't recall ever seeing the Marine scheme that included fuel belly tanks. Perhaps they were not comfortable with being that far from the bar? laugh

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

All else is twaddle.

New DOD contracts mean grease. Old World charm.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DD:

Interesting first-hand experience. Such is always welcome.

One thing, though, I do not think any MANPADS shoulder launched AA missiles have RF guidance. Just IR & CLOS. Still, prop planes and helos stand out like sore thumbs to RF.

For my own part, I would like to see a modernized A-10 CAS/heavy lift/long loiter attack plane successor for AF/Navy/USMC that could be designed to operate from the USN/USMC carriers modified with a jump ramp & cable arrest to supplement the F-35. VTOL is mighty expensive mass & complexity-wise.

None of those aircraft: light attack, A-10, A-10 follow-on are survivable in an environment where an enemy air defense network still exists.

Since VN, we have operated in environments where we crush enemy AD networks and then the only enemy AD left is MANPADS and light cannons. AD suppression of near-peer foes will not be so easy. Just ask the Israelis after they pushed too hard and too slimily in Syria, hacking off the Russians...who then sold Bashar the S-300 AA system. Now, Syria can see and discriminate Israeli aircraft as they take off inside Israel. And Israel has stopped bombing Syria and Lebanon with aircraft, but uses ballistic and cruise missiles almost exclusively.

FTR, S-300 first produced in 1975 and was upgraded up through 2005. That 1975-origin technology has pinned down the Israeli AF, which used to bomb inside Syria and Lebanon with impunity.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 63 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,734
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.