Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by OAM
You guys ever meet someone and they tell you what their main rifle is and you automatically feel contempt for them? See their factory box ammo on the dash and think- what a dipshit? Maybe I'm just getting sour...
........................No! Cannot say that I have. Factory ammo on the dash? Well maybe he or she is not a reloader....You may need to be sweetened up just a bit!!......LOL

And if their main rifle happens to be a 500 Nitro Express for hunting deer is close quarters, even though a horrible and waaaay overpowered choice, then so what....Yep! That is a very dipchit choice, but it is their choice to make no matter how much one disagrees.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

HR IC

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
None.

Camp is where you make it.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Growing up, I think I got a giggle out of some friends and relatives who swore that their cartridge and rifles of choice were the absolute best, and “an absolute Death Ray” if you will. They’d get pretty cocky about it, and years later, I realized that I’d attached their personalities to those cartridges.

Last edited by paint; 02/12/20.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by driggy
Dirtfarmer

Speaking of Remington flops, the Accelerator line of 50-55gr out of '06 and 308 Win.

IDK about the 06 or 308, but I got a box of them for my 30-30. Shot the head off a crow at ~125 yards from by bedroom window when I was like 16 back when they first came out. Worked fine for me. Come to think of it, I bet I still have half that box. I wonder if there's any collector value for them from the 70s?

BTW You'all, I'm LOL at all these posts!!

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would say i don't really have much respect (contempt is too strong a word for what I feel) for the gun store owner of a mom and pop operation who believes the 6.5 creed is the answer for every hunting scenario. (well almost) Both he and his wife use one, and of course they push them in their shop. Browse the racks of new guns, and get rid of all the 6.5 creed's, and you may have half left. Hard pressed to find an 06, let alone some other great chamberings such as 338 federal. Again, I don't mind what people shoot. Just that there are other great cartridges out there. I think that shop is responsible for a guy I know getting a Creed for his "long range" gun, which in Pa means 500 yards max. Asked him what he was replacing, and he said 7mm Mag. I just walked away from that conversation.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OAM
You guys ever meet someone and they tell you what their main rifle is and you automatically feel contempt for them? See their factory box ammo on the dash and think- what a dipshit? Maybe I'm just getting sour...

No, I can’t say I’ve judged a person by their choice of caliber, solely on the caliber alone.

Now, if for example someone was to propose .30-30 for Cspe Buffalo id definitely question their judgment and sanity.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shaman
I'm going to say "It depends."

For instance, I knew a fellow years ago that hunted whitetail out of club down in GA and said he'd bought a 300 WIN MAG for the deer in the swamps. That just didn't make sense to me. A coworker finally filled me in on the rest of the story: he was the camp drunk.

On the other hand my buddy, SuperCore, had a 300 WIN Mag that he loaded down to 30-06 levels and shot 165 grainers from and it was both pleasing to look at and a joy to shoot.

270 WIN is one of those cartridges that put me in an evil mood just thinking about it. On the other hand, I've never met a 270 WIN shooter that didn't seem sincere. Most of them were women, so I guess that maybe the reason I cut them slack.

People who shoot 35 Whelen are my brothers. I keep a 35 Whelen round next to my chair in the family room. I find it soothing to hold.

223 REM. Look, if you want to shoot deer with 223 REM, I'm all for it. I'm 223 REM- curious myself. On the other hand, if you show up in black tactical gear and have a M92 on a drop leg holster, I'm going to strongly suggest you hunt on the next ridge over.

People who shoot expensive 12 GA shotguns have my respect. People who hunt turkey with cheap 12 GA shotguns have my admiration. People who hunt turkeys with $1200 shotguns for turkey have my disdain. $8/round turkey loads double the disdain.

People who shoot Skeet with a deer barrel with rifle sights I know I'll be fast friends with.
People at the range who shoot full-sized torso targets with 12 GA birdshot at 10 feet are folks I want to stay away from.

There’s some wisdom in this post smile

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm going to say "It depends."

For instance, I knew a fellow years ago that hunted whitetail out of club down in GA and said he'd bought a 300 WIN MAG for the deer in the swamps. That just didn't make sense to me. A coworker finally filled me in on the rest of the story: he was the camp drunk.

On the other hand my buddy, SuperCore, had a 300 WIN Mag that he loaded down to 30-06 levels and shot 165 grainers from and it was both pleasing to look at and a joy to shoot.

270 WIN is one of those cartridges that put me in an evil mood just thinking about it. On the other hand, I've never met a 270 WIN shooter that didn't seem sincere. Most of them were women, so I guess that maybe the reason I cut them slack.

People who shoot 35 Whelen are my brothers. I keep a 35 Whelen round next to my chair in the family room. I find it soothing to hold.

223 REM. Look, if you want to shoot deer with 223 REM, I'm all for it. I'm 223 REM- curious myself. On the other hand, if you show up in black tactical gear and have a M92 on a drop leg holster, I'm going to strongly suggest you hunt on the next ridge over.

People who shoot expensive 12 GA shotguns have my respect. People who hunt turkey with cheap 12 GA shotguns have my admiration. People who hunt turkeys with $1200 shotguns for turkey have my disdain. $8/round turkey loads double the disdain.

People who shoot Skeet with a deer barrel with rifle sights I know I'll be fast friends with.
People at the range who shoot full-sized torso targets with 12 GA birdshot at 10 feet are folks I want to stay away from.

I like the way you think!

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I don’t care, I have magnums I don’t need, just wanted them. I know I’m over gunned watching grandkids blast deer-pigs with a 243.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I get a kick out of how many guys are triggered by 300 mags. I had a new Weatherby Mark V DGR .340 magnum at the range this weekend. Very accurate gun! I have a Docter 6X scope on the way for it and I can guarantee its going to see the deer woods this year.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Now Mike, you don't want to kill em TOO dead. LOL

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Let's not be rash!

I figure if I have a gun in every caliber, no matter what caliber cartridges I find I'll be able to shoot. Just in case of an ammo shortage. wink

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Now Mike, you don't want to kill em TOO dead. LOL

Jerry

laugh I think everybody is scared that all that will be left is four legs and a head. Lol. We've shot them with 338's in the past and it was no big deal. A .243 wrecks the meat worse.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

There is a LOT of ILLogic in that ! More than I care to address. confused sheesh ! S M H

Originally Posted by moosemike

laugh I think everybody is scared that all that will be left is four legs and a head. Lol. We've shot them with 338's in the past and it was no big deal. A .243 wrecks the meat worse.

Yes what people 'think' and reality are not always the same.

I've killed plenty of deer with 300 WMs and some with the 8mm RM. They DON'T blow them all apart.

There are NOT degrees of dead!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anything AI

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Nope. I don't have reason to scoff at anybodys choice. Seeing as how I've hunted and killed deer with everything from .22LR to .30-06 and many in between, including the dreaded 6.5 Creedmoor {notice correct spelling} I don't care what you or anybody else wants to use.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Anything with WSM in the name.....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never ran across a caliber that wasn't useful. Some cartridges are more versatile than others.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sako
Anything with WSM in the name.....

Just the short mags, leave the super mag alone

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The only thing a fishing lure has to do is catch a fisherman. It's the same deal on most cf cartridges just got to catch the shooters interest held right, placed right ,in an adequate range of suitability for the job at hand they all work. I don't like these type of arguments over what's best , sheeit might as well rule out a woman for her hair color and all she has to be really is willing for what you want. Same as beer, cold , wet, free that's all that's important . Winter getting long for some of you? MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (007FJ, 219DW, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 63 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,677
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.