Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
And sometimes I feel ashamed of myself for even entertaining the thought about not posting of the hunt. It seems on some of these forums the topics don't wander too far and the outdoors, hunting, and fishing stories/shares seem to bring the absolute best out of the woodwork. I get to share thoughts with like minded individuals. Thank you all.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't remember in which magazine I read about this magical place...I was a young kid. 9, 10 maybe. I'm not sure what the draw was for me then, but I know now. And I'm very glad you share it with every year.

Thank you again for doing it. Now...we need this snow to melt so we can get after those turkeys!!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
TOUCHE !!!!!

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hey... they don't call you the Long Beard King for nuthin!!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
My son calls me the Jake Whacker.......................:D laugh laugh I have been know to kill a jake or 3

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I always enjoy the report. Thanks for posting again.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
That's a real compliment coming from you. Thanks.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
My son calls me the Jake Whacker.......................:D laugh laugh I have been know to kill a jake or 3

laugh laugh laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I look forward to your post every year, too. I wish you many more in the future.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have enjoyed reading your Anticosti story's for years. Please keep writing them.

“Lighten up Francis”
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
All you guys make it worthwhile. I'll try to come up with something and post away. Thanks all.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
By now you know how much those on the Campfire look forward to you post. I also miss Cowboy. He guided me many times. When I fell and broke my Encore he loaned.
me his personal rifle to use. At that time he wasn't guiding yet. He was the horse wrangler only. When I tagged out he would hitch up a horse and we'd take pictures and toast sandwiches on the side of the Rat river. I don't take many pictures anymore. Don't know why. I did tell the head of operations on the island that the new cook should consider taking up truck driving as an occupation. Hope this year the French Frenchman comes back to guide.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I also very much look forward to your reply. You're getting to be very much an old friend. I messaged Gabriel on facebook about his coming back, and he said he would be definitely be back.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thank you for posting it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As always LBK, a great read and a post I look forward to every year. Congrats on the deer, very sorry about your friend

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love seeing this each year. Congratulations and thank you for sharing!

MK
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Geez guys, thanks for all the encouragement. I appreciate it and so does my wife.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I enjoy your stories. It is nice to hear from someone else who appreciates the island.

Anticosti is an amazing place. I was there last September / October and will there early next October. I was also at Chicotte with the VTT / ATV option. The food was OK. The folks in the prior week got the short end of the stick because there was a strike and the hunters were stuck in camp with only the kitchen open (no hunting). My guide was Gabriel (Gabe) and he was pretty good. It looks like he was your guide. We went into the thick woods woods and were able to get close to a couple of deer (no clear shots before they took off) and later on came within a dozen yards of doe in thick cover. A few people also saw some moose at the northern end of the territory.

The bad news about Anticosti is that the deer herd is significantly down at least according to a study

http://www.msn.com/fr-ca/actualites/quebec-canada/d%c3%a9clin-marqu%c3%a9-des-cerfs-de-virginie-sur-l%c3%aele-danticosti/ar-BBZAird?li=AAgh0dy

I attaching an English translation

Nonetheless I am looking forward to next fall.

Attached Images
Anticosti deer decline.txt (4.38 KB, 2 downloads)
SHA1: 32f12c49b10468b599bf49ce6362e7e9e45443ac
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NE_Hunter
I enjoy your stories. It is nice to hear from someone else who appreciates the island.

Anticosti is an amazing place. I was there last September / October and will there early next October. I was also at Chicotte with the VTT / ATV option. The food was OK. The folks in the prior week got the short end of the stick because there was a strike and the hunters were stuck in camp with only the kitchen open (no hunting). My guide was Gabriel (Gabe) and he was pretty good. It looks like he was your guide. We went into the thick woods woods and were able to get close to a couple of deer (no clear shots before they took off) and later on came within a dozen yards of doe in thick cover. A few people also saw some moose at the northern end of the territory.

The bad news about Anticosti is that the deer herd is significantly down at least according to a study

http://www.msn.com/fr-ca/actualites/quebec-canada/d%c3%a9clin-marqu%c3%a9-des-cerfs-de-virginie-sur-l%c3%aele-danticosti/ar-BBZAird?li=AAgh0dy

I attaching an English translation

Nonetheless I am looking forward to next fall.

We had absolutely no shortage of deer. I hunted October 2003 and made up my mind then never to return. We saw nothing but does then with the exception of one buck. The bucks really don't start moving until mid to late November. Yes we had Gabe. He is a moose and bear guide. This was his first time with deer hunters. I really liked him. I asked that he use the time allotted to me so he could hunt with my wife. Actually he spent most of the time with her. He made the hunt fun and we demanded nothing of him. He is coming back this year and he KNOWS we think he is the best. I like hunting for the deer instead of just picking one out to shoot or not to shoot. As it was, we each saw at least 20 deer per day. Mostly bucks. We are already booked and paid for next year. I just turned 75 yesterday and still feel like a 30 year old.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story and pics!

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,916
Posts18,479,651
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.