Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I spent all afternoon blowing snow, after it let up. 20 minutes after I parked the blower, ......you got it! But 28 degrees ain't bad.
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Looking at the pics of snow, got a question. I seen what I call 'wet snow' and 'dry snow'. Wet snow will make a snowball and dry snow wont, so I figure there isn't an exact scientific answer, but.... how does snow compare to rain for water amount. In other words, if we get an inch of rain, we know the amount of water we got. How much snow does it take to get an inch of rain/water?

It depends.... A really wet snow /mixed/ sleet is what a friend refers to as "Slit". Raining sh*t in other words.... )

Last edited by las; 02/13/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We had more rain again. They say we're almost double the normal amount for the date so far this year. Supposed to cool down for a few days, then rain again next week.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Garnett’s fields are going to be soup.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Garnett’s fields are going to be soup.

Yeah, he doesn't do much no till, and when you work ground like they do, it get's muddy as crap.

On the flip side, maybe all the rain will wash away the dirt on the Injun rocks.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Work and schools were cancelled today due to another blizzard. We didn't get a whole lot of snow this time, a few inches but the 50 mph sustained winds made it a white out all day.

-19*F now with -32* windchill.

The news just said -30F and -40* to -60* windchill by morning.

I know it's cold because I have been outside for the last hour or so busting through drifts, getting stuck and pulling myself out. Face is burning pretty good. lol

I told the wife if I don't have a heated shop and a tractor with a front mounted snowblower by next winter, we're moving! (Not really but man, I'm sick of this chit)
No biggie - heck, this was to date a rather warm winter.. . Only -12F here right now and I just came in the house after spending 25 minutes outside on the tractor (no cab) and a rear-mounted snowblower... All drifts gone.. Piece of cake..

But I hear ya - re: 'sick of it'.. The older I get the less I like winter.. Another four years or so I'll be a snowbird like the rest...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr
We had more rain again. They say we're almost double the normal amount for the date so far this year.
I believe it.. When I toured part of KY on the bike last year the amount of water standing in the various fields - along with flooded creeks/rivers made it pretty clear that you got way more than anything resembling 'normal'.. Many farmers in the Midwest had a helluva time with planting and harvesting due to excessive rainfall...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
All it does here these days is rain. Pouring right now, again. More flooding likely this afternoon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Rooster, that's where we're at this morning, but it is going to warm right back up.

Had the rain turning to snow ice Tuesday evening, slicker than chit yesterday on the roads!

We have had an easy winter so far, might have hit -20F once so far, knock on wood.

Lots of fog days due to hit in March which worries me quite a bit with calving.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
We'd probably have 4 or 5" of snow if it hadn't been melting about as fast as it hit. We probably have an inch or two. Supposed to drop to 1 tomorrow morning though. Freaking bitter cold.

Ha!

TFF!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Rooster, it's minus 38*C here this morning !

Without wind chill !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looking at the pics of snow, got a question. I seen what I call 'wet snow' and 'dry snow'. Wet snow will make a snowball and dry snow wont, so I figure there isn't an exact scientific answer, but.... how does snow compare to rain for water amount. In other words, if we get an inch of rain, we know the amount of water we got. How much snow does it take to get an inch of rain/water?

No science to this answer, but last sunday, on the lake, I melted a stock pot packed full of snow, to get 4-5" of water in the pot once melted.

Paul.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Cold and Blowing here too! old rule of thumb is 1" rain -10 inchs of snow! 8 outside not sure with the 35mph winds!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Square tires this morning:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Without wind chill !!

What is that in F? Like -36* or so?

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
Work and schools were cancelled today due to another blizzard. We didn't get a whole lot of snow this time, a few inches but the 50 mph sustained winds made it a white out all day.

The news just said -30F and -40* to -60* windchill by morning.

I know it's cold because I have been outside for the last hour or so busting through drifts, getting stuck and pulling myself out. Face is burning pretty good. lol

I told the wife if I don't have a heated shop and a tractor with a front mounted snowblower by next winter, we're moving! (Not really but man, I'm sick of this chit)
No biggie - heck, this was to date a rather warm winter.. . Only -12F here right now and I just came in the house after spending 25 minutes outside on the tractor (no cab) and a rear-mounted snowblower... All drifts gone.. Piece of cake..

But I hear ya - re: 'sick of it'.. The older I get the less I like winter.. Another four years or so I'll be a snowbird like the rest...

I didn't know you lived in the Tropics, Lee! smile

By the way, did you hear the Vikings hired "Damn dumb Dom?" crazy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Without wind chill !!

What is that in F? Like -36* or so?

Yep, close enough !!

Paul.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No science to this answer, but last sunday, on the lake, I melted a stock pot packed full of snow, to get 4-5" of water in the pot once melted.

Thanks! We dont get enough snow 'here in the far northern reaches of Louisiana' to know things like that. I know we hear of not getting enough snow for the needed ground water.

It rained 4 days last week and it rained 4 days this week, but today it's cloudy, windy, and cold. 44 by my thermometer, the damp cold wind makes it feel a lot colder.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Great feeling the day the new owner drove away with my snowblower, very liberating... enjoying having a truck with no plow frame...73 here at the moment, 33 (above) is the coldest I’ve seen this winter

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
-19 here this morning.

MOLON LABE
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
After five winters in Calgary I vowed to never live in a cold place.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 3,023 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,757
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.