Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I believe the new abolt3 has both a plastic trigger and plastic trigger guard. Am I correct in that the abolt 2 has a metal trigger and trigger guard, like the xbolt. Thanks

You are correct

HR IC

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gwg677
The $300 & $400 dollar guns are beating it up, it looks and feels like one of them !!!

Lets not go crazy here, it is a well made firearm.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I’ve had a 7mm Abolt SS for 30 years. Killed awful amount of animals with. MOA out to 500 yards, that’s as far as I shoot. Just too easy to get along with, it likes whatever I feed it. Best trigger on any gun I own. I’ve always joked about it being made out of Coors beer cans. Maybe so. Kind of like driving a Dodge truck, your friends won’t ride you.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I was wondering the same thing several years ago as Browning’s aesthetics and handling seem nice.

I asked a fairly reputable gunsmith the same question...why no love...He said it is largely due to the thread pitch on the barrel/action and the complexity of the trigger design. He mentioned that the thread pitch was very fine and would often gall when a barrel was attempted to be removed thus making rebarreling difficult/risky.

The above was his opinion as to why there are very few aftermarket parts and you don’t see many Smith’s doing customs based on a browning action.....no love...

He said that a Browning was a “hunters” rifle, not a “shooters” rifle. He was no being condescending but only implying that a hunter doesn’t typically put enough rounds down range to worry about ever rebarelling.

I never vetted this out but it made sense to me...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have had an X Bolt stainless stalker for a couple of years now and a couple of random observations;

Ergonomics just fit, the rifle just feels better when I shoulder it. The 3 lug bolt lift is nice compared to the 90 degree 700's and 70's that I am used to. Tang safety a plus. Slight swell on the RH side feels good in the hand. Slender fore end is a good thing.

Receiver has been pared down as mentioned earlier to save weight, probably not the best candidate for a heavy tube given the architecture.

Aftermarket support is not very extensive, does anyone re barrel these things?

The rifle is a good, but not exceptional shooter.

Detachable magazine on this rifle is very good compared to some of the hunting style rifles on the market. I touch the lands and still have much COL left in the mag.

Like the previous 5 Browning/Miroku products I have bought the rifle doesn't have the small quality blemishes that are seen on some of the other brands commonly available. Kinda like Japanese motorcycles, extremely proficient just completely lacking in soul.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
McGowen re-barrels xbolts

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Southtex
I was wondering the same thing several years ago as Browning’s aesthetics and handling seem nice.

I asked a fairly reputable gunsmith the same question...why no love...He said it is largely due to the thread pitch on the barrel/action and the complexity of the trigger design. He mentioned that the thread pitch was very fine and would often gall when a barrel was attempted to be removed thus making rebarreling difficult/risky.

The above was his opinion as to why there are very few aftermarket parts and you don’t see many Smith’s doing customs based on a browning action.....no love...

He said that a Browning was a “hunters” rifle, not a “shooters” rifle. He was no being condescending but only implying that a hunter doesn’t typically put enough rounds down range to worry about ever rebarelling.

I never vetted this out but it made sense to me...

Fair enough.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Potsy
I don’t dislike the x bolts in particular, but I’ve always felt that, thus far, the A-Bolt II was the pinnacle of A Bolt evolution.

I’ve had an A Bolt II SS .25-06 for the last 25 years. I’d not trade it for any brand spanking new X Bolt.

I've thought about it, and I'm inclined to agree. I've had an A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker in .30/06 nearly as long, and while the X-Bolt seems a nice enough rifle I I think I'll stay with its predecessor. It is light, handy, I like the looks and feel of it, and it is very accurate - about the most accurate rifle I own in fact, and there's a fair bit of competition.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a new AB3 I took in a trade. Didnt really want it and I was eager to move it but I had to shoot it. Plastic trigger and trigger guard. Half plastic magazine but it shoots amazing. I can't bring myself to list it thus far.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Only two things that have kept me away, they cost more than Tikka and don't look as good.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Does the X-bolt have a plastic injection molded stock or does Browning still use B&C stocks?

Quando omni flunkus moritati
D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Does the X-bolt have a plastic injection molded stock or does Browning still use B&C stocks?

Depending on the model, they are injection molded, they do offer some premium versions like the X-Bolt Target McMillan A3-5 and the X-Bolt Pro which is Carbon over foam

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by Potsy
I don’t dislike the x bolts in particular, but I’ve always felt that, thus far, the A-Bolt II was the pinnacle of A Bolt evolution.

I’ve had an A Bolt II SS .25-06 for the last 25 years. I’d not trade it for any brand spanking new X Bolt.

I've thought about it, and I'm inclined to agree. I've had an A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker in .30/06 nearly as long, and while the X-Bolt seems a nice enough rifle I I think I'll stay with its predecessor. It is light, handy, I like the looks and feel of it, and it is very accurate - about the most accurate rifle I own in fact, and there's a fair bit of competition.

Bingo. I actually waited after the original A-Bolt came out and heard of the A-bolt II. Ended up waiting and picked up the Medallion in 1994. Bedded recoil lug and tang from factory in the wood stock. Shoots lights out.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Musicianized
Well.. I love my xbolt. It's the nicest gun I've owned and the most accurate. I dont understand d the trigger gripes. I turned mine down and it's almost dangerously light to hunt with. No creep, nice and crisp. I really like it.

[Linked Image]

Well, now you've done it...You actually own and shoot an X-Bolt and can speak to their attributes. smile

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Well.. I love my xbolt. It's the nicest gun I've owned and the most accurate. I dont understand d the trigger gripes. I turned mine down and it's almost dangerously light to hunt with. No creep, nice and crisp. I really like it.

[Linked Image]

Well, now you've done it...You actually own and shoot an X-Bolt and can speak to their attributes. smile

Better than hearsay ey?

You can lead a horse...
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Some of it might be the perception of Browning as a premium brand. When I was a kid in Oklahoma in the 60s and 70s, blue-collar guys had Remingtons and Winchesters. The doctor, the dentist, and the lawyer had Brownings. Maybe Browning has managed to turn that into sales in the Southern states.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My opinion. They are not worth the money.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bugger

Worth every penny I spent and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Actually Im about to buy another.

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bugger

Worth every penny I spent and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Actually Im about to buy another.

I didnt respond to him because he didn't give any reasons for his opinion. Who knows if he ever even laid eyes on one?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I own a Browning X-Bolt, model is their Grey Synthetic, which I think is no longer made in that configuration. Caliber is .30-06, and it is an extremely accurate rifle, especially with 165 gr. Barnes TSX bullets. Mine has been used to take whitetail, and has been to Africa on a plains game hunt, as well as a couple of exotic game hunts here in the US. It performs flawlessly, is lightweight, and I really like the trigger. I had the plain grey stock painted by a member here on the 'Fire, which really dressed it up.
If I had to get rid of most of the rifles in my possession, this one would be one of the survivors.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 3,147 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,354
Posts18,487,968
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.