-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The Trump White House notified Congress on Thursday that it would be diverting $3.8 billion from Pentagon to fund wall construction along the U.S. southern border, marking the second year in a row that defense funds have been directed towards wall construction projects.

The new wall spending measure includes around $1.3 billion in funds drawn from the National Guard, according to the Washington Times. Other funds are reportedly drawn from drug interdiction spending under the justification that the Pentagon can use that funding to raise barriers along drug smuggling routes on the border.

Last February, President Donald Trump concluded an ongoing government shutdown fight over wall funding by agreeing to Congress’ 2019 budget and then declaring a national emergency on the southern border. In his emergency order, Trump called on the Pentagon draw some $6.5 billion in its funds to go to the wall construction effort.

The new funding measure would also reportedly divert money from two F-35 fighter jets, at a combined cost of $223 million, according to Politico. The funding diversion would also cost $100 million from the Humvee modernization program; $650 million cut from Navy funds to replace its amphibious assault ships, and $261 million from the Navy’s Expeditionary Fast Transport ship program.
The funding also draws $196 million from the U.S. Air Force C-130J transport aircraft and $180 million from its light attack aircraft program.

Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA) the chair of the House Appropriations Homeland Security Subcommittee criticized the latest funding diversion.
“They’re flush with money,” Roybal-Allard said Thursday. “They have plenty of money, which they haven’t used.”

She warned that Trump would keep pushing national budget money towards the border wall unless congress takes action.
House Appropriations Chairwoman Nita Lowey (D-N.Y.) and Pete Visclosky (D-Ind.), the chairman of the Defense spending panel said, in a joint statement, warned that some Republicans lawmaker may also be hurt by not doing more to bar Trump from taking from Pentagon funds.

“While some of our Republican colleagues will lament the President’s decision, they enabled this theft by blocking our efforts to stop the President from raiding defense accounts,” Lowey and Visclosky said. “Until they stand up to President Trump, our national security will continue to be threatened and our Constitutional system of government will continue to be undermined.”

Trump’s 2019 Pentagon spending diversions have already seen opposition from Congress. Both the Democratic House of Representatives and the Republican Senate have voted in support of measures to end Trump’s 2019 emergency declaration. Both measures passed in Congress but did not have enough votes to overcome Trump’s veto powers.

Other opponents to the Pentagon funding diversions challenged the Trump administration through the courts. The U.S. Supreme Court allowed Trump to go forward with one portion of the 2019 funding effort. In January a federal appeals court struck down a challenge to another portion of the 2019 Pentagon funds assigned to wall construction efforts, which has been winding its way through the lower courts for several months.
The border wall had been a major part of Trump’s 2016 campaign and he has persisted with the wall efforts throughout his presidency, despite funding fights, legal challenges and delays.

Members of U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) said they need $11.1 billion in total to build 576 miles of wall on the border with Mexico. With the additional funding, CBP officials indicated they hope to have 450 miles of wall complete or nearly complete by the end of 2020.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/02/trump-gets-another-3-8b-from-pentagon-for-border-wall

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MAGA!!!!

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good. Way to much waste in our military. Especially the end of the FY when they come at you in droves telling people they MUST spend money on stuff they don't need. Watched that game being played for decades.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not doing the math, but if the federal gov is spending $5 trillion , it seems strange that a few billion on border security is an issue.

Build it.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
3.8 billion to work on one our greatest areas of vulnerability is CHEAP.......MAGA!!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Nebraska
3.8 billion to work on one our greatest areas of vulnerability is CHEAP.......MAGA!!!

That's phug gin funny. I don't care who ya are grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

MOLON LABE

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Nebraska

We need to stop those damn Meskins somehow!!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
We need to stop those damn Meskins somehow!!

Enforcing laws on the books would be too difficult. E- verify would be too hard to implement. Besides, I thought the Mexicans were watching the border?

There's 30 million illegals in this country and we'll put a little patch.

MOLON LABE

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't speak to the details of the whole article (which may or may not be true) but I can speak to this:

"$650 million cut from Navy funds to replace its amphibious assault ships, and $261 million from the Navy’s Expeditionary Fast Transport ship program."

Either one of those numbers are not even close to what taxpayers pay in contract cost overruns to fix what the DoD "bidded what we wanted" versus "what we really wanted."

$650 million in shipbuilding programs doesn't even account for desk jockeys.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
So you want to do away with taxes? So do I.

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Blah blah blah dhims. Build the freaking wall.

$3,8 billion Got your panties in a wad?

Where were you when that idiot Obama was dropping $150 billion on the Iranians.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 22 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,268
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.