Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by lastround
For those who are interested, I have continued to search out as much information about Redhawks as I can find on the internet. I think I can say with reasonably good faith, that there is a lack of verifiable information available. However, here goes........ Redhawks started leaving the factory in very late 1979 initially as stainless steel only and with 7.5” barrels only. I’m not trying to discredit anyone with my findings, just stating “my” findings.

Redhawks were only available in stainless and with the 7.5” barrel until late 1982/early 1983 at which time the 5.5” barreled model was introduced, again in stainless steel only. The best info I can find is that blued models in both lengths were introduced in late 1984. And to the Op, I find no reference to anything other than brushed stainless and blued. More to come.............

Thanks for sharing your research.

Looks like my 1983 5.5" is one of the first with that length barrel.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Smoking gun,
From what I’m finding, your Redhawk is indeed one of the first shipped with the 5.5” barrel AND one of the first with the left side hammer pin flat. I have no explanation yet for SargeMO’s 1979 blued 5.5” revolver, but I continue to search.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Finally took out my redhawk today and popped it's cherry. Ran a few shells through it, forgot a screw driver the sites are hitting 2.5' low at 25 yrds. Nice shooting gun and the recoil wasn't bad as I figured it'd be.
These guns always hit this low outta the box?

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gutthooked
Finally took out my redhawk today and popped it's cherry. Ran a few shells through it, forgot a screw driver the sites are hitting 2.5' low at 25 yrds. Nice shooting gun and the recoil wasn't bad as I figured it'd be.

The rear sight is usually screwed all the way down from the factory. They leave it up to the buyer to decide what bullet they want to shoot, which greatly affects point of impact. You need to raise that rear sight. Enjoy!

PS.....If you press down slightly on the back of the rear sight, you can adjust elevation with your fingernail. Done it many times.

Last edited by lastround; 02/02/20.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For those interested, the first 4” Redhawk was shipped in 2008, in stainless only. Still nothing firm on when the first blued models were shipped.

Doug
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by gutthooked

The rear sight is usually screwed all the way down from the factory. They leave it up to the buyer to decide what bullet they want to shoot, which greatly affects point of impact. You need to raise that rear sight. Enjoy!

PS.....If you press down slightly on the back of the rear sight, you can adjust elevation with your fingernail. Done it many times.

Ok they had the screw cranked down , got it adjusted somewhat, pretty sensitive 1 click was moving it like 6". The problem i got is the gun doesn't seem very accurate seems to shoot pretty loose patterns with it. Guess I'll have to try a different load.

Challenge your limits
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What bullet are you shooting? Factory or reload? If a reload, what powder? And I’ve never had one click make that big a difference in point of impact.

Doug
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Reloading 296 with a 210xtp

Challenge your limits
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like something is awry with that rear sight if one click makes that much difference. One click, or mark, should only raise the sight about a 128th of an inch, which is almost invisible.

Doug
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Sounds like something is awry with that rear sight if one click makes that much difference. One click, or mark, should only raise the sight about a 128th of an inch, which is almost invisible.

Sounds more like shooter error to me. Redhawks are accurate revolvers. I ve seen new handgun shooters do this many times until they learn proper trigger control.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The 4.2" Redhawk .41 Magnum I bought right after they came out is one of the most accurate DA .41s I have ever owned...

First day shooting with stock grips...

[Linked Image]

First rounds out of the gun DA at 15 yards...

[Linked Image]

DA at 10 yards...

[Linked Image]

DA 15 yards...

[Linked Image]

Best DA 50 yard group I have shot with any gun...6"

[Linked Image]

2.75"...action is almost as smooth as the 4.2" but the DA breaks just a little later than I would like... Now has a set of the new Hogue rubber grips for round butt Redhawks that are better...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

10 yards DA...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The amount the group moves per click of the rear sight depends on the length of the barrel. The shorter the barrel the more the group will move per click...Unless there is something wrong with the rear sight it isn't possible to move the POI 6" with one click within 25 yards...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I thought shooter error too, but shot off of a pistol rest and had the same results as offhand.
One thing I'd like to note is the paint on the front site is not level across the site.
Shot my buddies 44 and had a 3" group at 15yrds.

I'm going to some unique with the same bullets and see if that changes anything, also I'm new to reloading but have a friend helping me with it.

Challenge your limits
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gutthooked,
Good luck with your Redhawk. Be sure you are getting a good crimp on that XTP. It is a good bullet and should work well with Unique. I’d be interested in knowing how it does.

Doug
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Here is a link to a Redhawk owners manual, not sure what year(EDIT - I just noticed the manual is 2009). I found on page 27 a statement that says:

"NOTE: The Hammer Pivot Assembly (Part No. H01600 or KH01600) tab fits into a mortise on the right side of the frame of most of the Redhawk revolvers. However, during a change in production processing of frames in 1983, several thousand frames were made with the mortise on the left side of the frame. A Redhawk revolver having the mortise on the left side of the frame is in all other respects the same as the version which has the mortise in the right side."

It doesn't say why they changed sides, but I found it interesting that they mentioned it.

Redhawk Owners Manual

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokinggun
...It doesn't say why they changed sides, but I found it interesting that they mentioned it....
Redhawk Owners Manual

There is a small number of highly collectible Redhawk manuals that were only published in the first half of 1984 which preface those remarks with, "In accordance with Mr. Ruger's ongoing efforts to drive collectors crazy..."

wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
...It doesn't say why they changed sides, but I found it interesting that they mentioned it....
Redhawk Owners Manual

There is a small number of highly collectible Redhawk manuals that were only published in the first half of 1984 which preface those remarks with, "In accordance with Mr. Ruger's ongoing efforts to drive collectors crazy..."

wink

Funny! grin

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had a first year run of the 41 magnum. I was not impressed by the heavy SA trigger, so I was happy to sell it.
So are the triggers better, or is there a way to adjust them? Maybe I just got a lemon decades ago?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a link to a Redhawk owners manual, not sure what year(EDIT - I just noticed the manual is 2009). I found on page 27 a statement that says:

"NOTE: The Hammer Pivot Assembly (Part No. H01600 or KH01600) tab fits into a mortise on the right side of the frame of most of the Redhawk revolvers. However, during a change in production processing of frames in 1983, several thousand frames were made with the mortise on the left side of the frame. A Redhawk revolver having the mortise on the left side of the frame is in all other respects the same as the version which has the mortise in the right side."

It doesn't say why they changed sides, but I found it interesting that they mentioned it.

Redhawk Owners Manual

Thanks smokinggun,
That locks the manufacture of those guns to 1983. JWP475 bought a blued gun in about 1985, so that question is close to being answered too.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Terryk
I had a first year run of the 41 magnum. I was not impressed by the heavy SA trigger, so I was happy to sell it.
So are the triggers better, or is there a way to adjust them? Maybe I just got a lemon decades ago?

Hi Terry,
I hate to be critical of my favorite big bore revolver, but Redhawks have notoriously had single action triggers that, to put it nicely, leave a lot to be desired. Some folks just change out the mainspring to lighten the pull,but that may cause ignition problems. I said “may” because in some cases that works. I have learned over the years to leave the spring alone, and do my work on the action itself, by judiciously working the sear and polishing the parts to reduce creep. I usually end up with about a three and a half pound SA pull which for me is about right. All my Redhawks get this treatment and have what I consider very good triggers. Note: care must be taken not to remove too much metal. A lot of re-assembly and trial involved.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RJM,
Nice looking set of Redhawks. I have only owned one in 41 magnum, and one in 45 Colt. All the rest have been in 44 magnum. I have owned and shot a couple of Smith 57’s and one 657. I may have to pick up another 41 Redhawk one of these days.

Doug
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,551
Posts18,472,981
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.